Christmas Eve caregiving not in my stocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Eve caregiving not in my stocking

Every Christmas Eve l fear having to spend in bed as I can never find a caregiver willing to work. I would take me more than one hand to count the number of times I put myself in a hospital in the days leading up to Christmas just so I knew I had caregiving. This year it looks like my caregiver will have to put me back in bed after he showers me on the 24th and then I will remain there until The 26th when he returns. bahhumbug

that REALLY sucks! So sorry.
    where in NJ are you?
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

So sorry. When I worked for the VA we had a lot of Veterans with SCI who chose to do their inpatient annual evaluation on our unit during Christmas week both to give their attendants the time off, and because our staff and other patients served as a surrogate family for family they did not have.

Fortunately I was able to always get Christmas eve and Day off work (not a staff nurse) and so I did my mother's care when she was alive so that her PCAs could spend that time with their families. Sad for those who don't have family who can take this on...

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

At least I have my dad, but I understand what you mean. Every year when scheduling, my caregivers don't want to come on the holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim C. View Post
          Every Christmas Eve l fear having to spend in bed as I can never find a caregiver willing to work. I would take me more than one hand to count the number of times I put myself in a hospital in the days leading up to Christmas just so I knew I had caregiving. This year it looks like my caregiver will have to put me back in bed after he showers me on the 24th and then I will remain there until The 26th when he returns. bahhumbug
          how do u eat and drink wish you were closer so i could help

Comment

I may be very close, but Tim doesn't check that box.
            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
            NW NJ

Comment

I hate all holidays because of this. I have been pretty lucky over the years my nurses always helped even if it was for a few hours. I use to be able to use my parents as backup but now they are older I hate to have them do to much.
              "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Yes, I hate all holidays because of this. I have several caregivers and require that each one take 2 holidays and that they cannot be the same every year. It's very depressing to have to put people through this.

Comment

I understand your dilemma. Caregivers want to spend time with their families but you need care. Have you considered what crags does or trying to split the day up into shorter shifts?
                  cjf
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                  X