Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation Peer/Mentor program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation Peer/Mentor program

Hello old and new friends at Care Cure Community. Sorry I have not been on our forum much lately. My grief and journey after my dear one GJ passed a little over 2 years ago has been very difficult and far from over for me now. You don't easily get over, past, through the devastating loss of the love of your life for 50+ years But, that said, I have been trying mightily to find an outlet for what I have learned and experienced. I have been accepted as a Peer Mentor with the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation. While I am no where near as knowledgeable as GJ was, I was for 38 years, a dedicated, tireless, loving and accomplished sole and singular caregiver to a c6/7 complete quadriplegic. Together, through the thick and thin, highs and lows, difficult and challenging we made a wonderful life together.

The Peer Mentor program at the Reeve Foundation strives to match relatively newly spinal cord injured and their families with those who have been there...done that.

I am currently paired with several wives/caregivers of newly spinal cord injured men in their mid to late 60s and early 70s. The foundation has an incredible library of publications, papers, guides, wallet cards and much more to help people who have experienced and been impacted by Spinal Cord Injury, Traumatic Brain Injury, and other neurologic diseases and conditions.

I am posting here tonight, in hopes of connecting with those who are new to this new, different and difficult life and have found Care Cure Community and are searching for support in anyway they can find it. Check out the support available at: https://www.christopherreeve.org/.

May all of us be safe,
    May all of us be healthy,
    May all of us find our peace,
    May all of us live with some ease.

NL

NL-
    I'm glad you selected a. way to give still more to the SCI family. Grief never ends, but it"s edges dull.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post
      NL-
      I'm glad you selected a. way to give still more to the SCI family. Grief never ends, but it"s edges dull.
      Thanks Tetra...
      I'm hoping I am welcome to come here when I need to ask all of you questions and seek advice to help the family caregivers I am mentoring. All of you are where the rubber meets the road and you stay so connected and up to date with everything SCI.

Comment

so good to hear from you

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post

I'm hoping I am welcome to come here
          Always! Never doubt it.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
            SCI-Nurse commented
            Editing a comment
            I second this, NL. Both you and GJ were and are CC family, and always welcome here. (KLD)
        Working...
        X