No announcement yet.

Going down fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to see Vicky have a great idea once in a while when she's off the political forum
    I got one to and I'm 74/T12. Why didn't i think of that? (shut up Vicky!)
    Try it, you'll like it!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

These are all good suggestions. What are your thoughts?
      ckf
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
        Nice to see Vicky have a great idea once in a while when she's off the political forum
        I got one to and I'm 74/T12. Why didn't i think of that? (shut up Vicky!)
        Try it, you'll like it!
        you love me harass you u would miss me giving you what for

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post

you love me harass you u would miss me giving you what for
          I thought, if I took an aspirin, you'd go away!
          NW NJ

Comment

SCIfor55+yrs since it's been a while, I suspect the CC has gotten the 2nd shot, and you're good to go. I hope that's true.

But, I have a question for you: I thought I read in another post of yours that you wrote a book. Is that true or am I wrong about that? If I'm right, what's the name of the book? I'd like to read it.
            Last edited by GreaseLightning; 19 Sep 2021, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Waiting for an answer about the book.....
              ckf
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• SCIfor55+yrs
                SCIfor55+yrs commented
                Editing a comment
                Go to chubon.org/bob and click on "autobiography"

Am losing the battle with tendonitis in my shoulders. I can barely make the transfer into my van chair. I may beat you to it 55. Sore shoulders are just the worse thing for me. The last week I have noticed more lost of strength.
              Art

Comment

Originally posted by Art454 View Post
                Am losing the battle with tendonitis in my shoulders. I can barely make the transfer into my van chair. I may beat you to it 55. Sore shoulders are just the worse thing for me. The last week I have noticed more lost of strength.
                Art- very sorry to hear this. I've been nursing my own shoulders in and out of injury the past 2.5 years. It is very frustrating knowing the inevitable trajectory this will take.

Comment

Bowel care is often a deal breaker when people see what is involved. There are a lot of aides out there whom I call "tea and toast" aides, whose idea of a job is making tea and toast for an elderly person and keeping them company. Just my morning routine alone is simply overwhelming for many when they observe it, though we all know after some time it's just another routine. It can take a dozen training sessions before someone gets the hang of it. Bowel care can often take 15 or more times of supervised training.

I've got a pretty good crew of four people, but it cost me dearly. I could save money with live in care, but in the end it would only hurt me, because when someone has to get up several times per night to turn me and assist with catheterization, they would have little energy or desire to do all the tasks that need to get done the following day. Personal care as well as shopping, cooking, laundry, etc.

I am seriously worried about my "burn rate" of cash that is needed to cover my weekly care expenses, all private pay. Medicaid home care pays a paltry wage, has a lot of restrictions and would require significant legal changes to all of my assets in order to get qualified. Not to mention that will probably have an endless turnover of unskilled help rotating through your house.

The alternative is to have some cash stored with a "trusted" person, and this is not easy to find if your parents aren't around, that can be used to supplement Medicaid home care worker poverty wages.

I am well over 100k for 24/7 care. Typical if it was billed, the catastrophic to bear unless one has many millions of dollars in reserve. Every 10 years you're out of million. Depending upon your age you just may eke it out before you die. If you're young you just may run short.

When we work or worked we expect raises of some sort, merit-based or at least cost-of-living. Well, every year our aides expect the same. A mere 20-50 bucks per week may not sound like much, but that's 1000- 2500 per year that must be generated from investments. Multiply this by several aides and you're talking real money.

Comment

Colostomy
                    NW NJ

Comment

Working...
                    X