Going down fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going down fast

I am down to one intelligence challenged, untrained, non vaccinated caregiver, and a couple kind friends. My care is being compromised in every corner. It is only a matter of time that an infection pulls me under. Never in my 67 post injury years did I think I would go out this way.

Certainly not good news, but it seems resonant with current events.
    So sorry to find you in such grief.........
    but don't give up the ship!

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ...MVMLQlZeWLlhpk

If nothing else, listening to this song lets me discharge grief.........which always seems in abundance under all the nonsense I see around me these days
    and better, reminds me that it's not over 'til the fat lady sings!
    Hang in there.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

Was thinking about you yesterday, it's been a long time since you posted and I hoped you were okay. This dreadful convergence of healthcare and financial crises would have been almost unthinkable, even a decade or so ago. I wish it were possible to offer something more than commiseration and understanding. Even in the midst of this COVID nightmare, a door could still open, and help come to you through it - this is my hope for you.
      MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

I'm so sorry, and am really frustrated for you.

Comment

So sorry. Have you reached out to your local ILC to see if they have a program that helps keep PWD out of nursing homes that includes helping find attendant care resources? Are you Medicaid eligible?

Why is your single caregiver unvaccinated?

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
            I work for a large hospital system. They sent us an email the other day. 55% of our nurses are UNvaccinated, the rate is worse than the population at large. Despite daily emails for the past 15 months about how many people are dying of COVID and plentiful vaccine availability for the past 9 months.

It’s tragic, but by no means surprising to me that 55’s caregiver refuses to get vaccinated.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
              SCI-Nurse commented
              Editing a comment
              Shame on those health care "professionals" who refuse vaccination, putting themselves, their families, and most importantly their patients at risk. Most would also claim to have an evidence based practice, but this is not consistent with science and professional responsibility. When I was working I didn't question the requirement to have Hep A and Hep B vaccination, nor my annual flu shot. I would encourage healthcare systems to require staff to be vaccinated or be put on leave without pay, as is being done at most of the healthcare systems here in San Diego. (KLD)

• SCI-Nurse
              SCI-Nurse commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't see anywhere that 55+'s caregiver is a licensed health care professional. (KLD)

Originally posted by SCIfor55+yrs View Post
            I am down to one intelligence challenged, untrained, non vaccinated caregiver, and a couple kind friends. My care is being compromised in every corner. It is only a matter of time that an infection pulls me under. Never in my 67 post injury years did I think I would go out this way.
            Sorry, you are in this predicament 55.
            Hang in there, we need you.

Comment

hang in there
              Sales@rollinginparadise.com

Comment

I actually think about you all the time. One of the biggest fighters of surviving SCI I know.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's seems the world as a whole is in such a state of disarray that it's trickling down into many aspects of life.

I'll be thinking about you and sending warm thoughts. Like always, wish we could all do more.

Comment

Try to hang in there 55. Since this covid 19 things are all messed up.
                  Art

Comment

silly question as i know my gal works at a nursing home but is there a nusing home around or a college with a nursing program

that maybe you could draw from

Comment

Bob, can't tell you what a difference you have made in my sci life. Always there with great advice and wisdom about life.
                      So appreciate and love you.
                      You will find a way to bounce back, always have.
                      Sending you and 'the better half' positive energy.

For those that don't know his story- http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

We have to gather around like that village of old but this cursed virus causes us to be more self interested than we otherwise would.
                        This situation we find ourselves in really is a shite sandwich for sure; being SCI or any other impairment makes this situation worse.
                        Now, all the best wishes are just that, heartfelt well intentioned emotion.
                        How can we assist in a practical manner ? Do we know where SCIfor55+yrs lives so those who can assist in real way, can ?

Comment

I hope that 55+ sees this and responds as to where they live. It would be helpful toknow that. I would also encourage him to try and hook up with a church group. I have had some people actually use a group from their church to provide their care. It was a win-win for him and them. And it gave them a community to draw from.
                          ckf
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                            So sorry. Have you reached out to your local ILC to see if they have a program that helps keep PWD out of nursing homes that includes helping find attendant care resources? Are you Medicaid eligible?

(KLD)
                            Lets face it: ongoing attendant care for persons with a disability is a massive problem in our country: the PWD should not have to search high and low for attendant care. I suggest the PWD look at this as an emergency and call 911. Many folks call 911 when they can't get up after a fall. How is this any different? It's an emergency.

Comment

Working...
                            X