Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CARE.com -- Has anyone,,,,??

Hello,,,,,

Has anyone ever used ''Care.com'' to acquire a Caregiver//Home Care Aide ? Positive or Negative; What was/has your experience been ? I am on the cusp of using the site to try and find a Caregiver to save myself. The N.J. Medicaid Program is less than grossly below sub-standard. Any & All feedback is appreciated,,, Thank you.

You can read previous posts about this company and satisfaction (or not) about using them to find PCAs by using the search tool.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I'm starting to try getting people there to sign up for the CDPAP program with local agencies. Instead of using other types of agencies.

Cdpap allows much more control.

Comment

I have tried very recently. It seems mostly for babysitters. I need an LPN or RN and haven't heard anything. It can't hurt to try though.

Comment

• Yankman30
          Yankman30 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, that's what my insurance pays for. I have my skin checked because I used to get sores. My BP and temp because they can change significantly. I'm just assuming that is an assessment. So far, I have never paid out of pocket.

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't you know how to check your own skin with the help of a caregiver? A CNA or HHA could also take your vital signs. It sounds to me like you have bought into your insurance company's medicalization of your chronic disability. (KLD)

• Yankman30
          Yankman30 commented
          Editing a comment
          I may have as a CNA has never been brought up in my search for nurses. I've never checked my own skin. Also, I don't want the nurses that I've had so long replaced by CNAs.

Hi, I've called every nursing agency in the area and none can supply me with a nurse. I'd need an LPN or RN. Where could I look to find self-pay nurses in the Morris County, NJ area?

Thanks for any help!
        Joe

Comment

Why are they turning you down? Nursing shortage? Hours of work? Already asked why you require a RN/LPN when most people can do just fine with a CNA, HHA, or even uncertified caregivers. Does your insurance pay for your caregivers, and if so, do they require them to be licensed? Most agencies also require a minimum of a 4 hour shift, so if you are asking for less than that, this may be the issue.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

It seems my insurance requires licensed caregivers in-home. I need 4 hours in the morning but only 2 hours at night. Most agencies say they have no nurses or nurses in my area. Some say splitting a 6hour shift like that is something nobody would be interested in. I've recently had 2 nurses train with my current nurse. The 2 both told their agencies that it was too much work. I've never heard that complaint in all my years of needing care! There is a nursing shortage for sure. I've had 1 nurse for over 20 years and 1 for about 3 years and the split the time. One of my nurses doesn't want to work weekends anymore so I'm also looking for the hardest days to fill. even self-pay agencies say the have no nurses available. I'm having trouble thinking of places to look. Maybe there are nursing forums or something like that? I'm not on FaceBook, etc.

Thank you for replying.

Comment

When they say licensed caregivers are you sure they don't just mean CNAs?

I can't imagine them requiring a nurse for basic daily assistance.

Edited for the response:

1) Yes, I think saying a CNA is not a nurse goes without saying. That was the point. A CNA would be the person who assists with ADLs.
              2) Of course a license is not the same thing as a certification. Maybe I could have written that better.

"Are you sure your insurance company requires somebody licensed and not just somebody certified like a CNA"?

The problem the OP has is exactly what someone would expect. A nurse (for right or wrong) is going to find much of that work "beneath" them. In many of their minds, they didn't go through all the schooling and licensing procedures to assist with typical ADLs. Which is why CNAs / "nursing assistants" exist.

I was in a rehabilitation facility staffed with nurses and CNAs for a year. I have a very clear understanding of the difference, and what each is normally capable, and in some cases more importantly, willing to do.
              Last edited by Mitchitsu; 15 Aug 2021, 8:44 AM.

Comment

CNAs and HHAs are NOT licensed. They are certified, which is legally different. They are also not nurses. (KLD)

Comment

Can you talk to your insurance company and see if they will make an exception to the requirement to have an RN/LPN for your caregiver? This is certainly not considered "skilled care". The agencies can make their own rules about whether or not a nurse can split a 6 or 4 hour shift, and I agree, most would not find doing so acceptable given the travel time (unreimbursed) and disruption of availability for other cases willing to pay for a full shift.

I really hate it when insurance companies turn a chronic disability like SCI/D into a medical condition that can only be assisted by a skilled nurse, especially when licensed nurses are just as unlikely to know much about SCI daily personal care as do aides. I also question why you feel you need a daily physical assessment unless you have some sort of complication you are not telling us about. Are you on a vent? Dialysis? Have a pressure ulcer?

(KLD)

Comment

No I don't have any major problems like that. I've been steady but I attribute that my nurses. They've been with me so long and I'm comfortable with them. Like I said, I wouldn't want them replaced by CNAs. It's one of my nurses that wants more time off on the weekends. I'm looking for some additional help 2 or 3 weekends a month, which I know is even harder. I know if my bowel treatment falls on a weekend a CNA wouldn't be allowed to do it. I have had incontinent issues with my bowels where I've needed an unexpected bowel treatment.

Comment

A CNA from an agency would probably not be allowed to do bowel care, nor administer medication, but people who hire privately and private pay have little problem finding a non-licensed/certified PCA who can be taught to do that. Good luck, but I think you are going to find it impossible to find a nurse like you want through any agency. (KLD)

Comment

Sorry for the double post. I am not good at this. Things keep getting placed where I don't want them in the responses:

I don't know about NJ, but in New York we have a few different programs. If you get a CNA from an agency they are not allowed to do many things including the bowel routine, meds, etc.
                        But we also have something called a cdpap program. It basically lets you hire and manage the assistant but they do not work directly for you. The agency pays them and they clock in and out to the agency. In those cases they are allowed to do whatever you need them to do.

I don't know if this program is available everywhere, I've been using it for a few years in New York and have been happy with it. There are disadvantages obviously, you need to find your own caregivers. Get them signed up with the agency, and then you would set their hours, etc.

I think it was mainly set up so that people can have loved ones take care of them and get paid for it if they are more comfortable. Friends and family (not spouses) but there is no reason why you can't find somebody looking for work and ask them to be a part of that program.

Good luck.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                          SCI-Nurse commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I removed your duplicate post.

The NY state CDPAP program is a Medicare waiver program only available for those on Medicaid. It's like the IHSS program in CA where I live. I don't see anywhere that the OP is eligible for Medicaid or receiving benefits. Likely his income and/or assets are too high. (KLD)

• Mitchitsu
                          Mitchitsu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ah, understood. Yes that makes sense and is exactly what it is. Thanks for clarifying.

I do see they have a version in New Jersey, but like you said someone would have to qualify for it with the correct insurance.

I'm about to hit post. I hope it goes where I intend it to thanks for being patient with all the duplicates.

• landrover
                          landrover commented
                          Editing a comment
                          PA has a similar option. I am on Act 150.

This company was founded by a para, solid guy- https://leanonwe.com/

Comment

• FREEJ
                          FREEJ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi Jim,,, I live up in North Jersey, Fairlawn and am insured by pitiful NJ Medicaid. Since June, that was the last
                          time I had a Home Health Aide and have yet to regain one today. I wanted to try Care.com until I posted and read the neg. feedback. I still may try. ------ Have you used or know of anyone who has used Leanonwe.com ??

Has anyone on this site used Leanonwe.com ??

Thank you,
                          Free

FreeJ, I grew up in Waldwick!

I haven't used LeanOnWe but know the Founder, Ron Gold. His story is on the website.

Comment

Working...
                        X