Holding on to caregivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding on to caregivers

My caregivers are being lured away by phydsician practice groups. They are offering benefit packages including good health care plans, 401ks, etc. I cannot compete anymore. I cannot even get applicants these days. How are we going to survive?

Tell me about it! Right now my nurses are here on elevated rates because it’s hard to retain them due to COVID. I hope things get better.

Comment

There is no way the private pay person can compete with an established business. When you have a caregiver who has another job with benefits and our job represents a second job for some extra cash it is less of a problem. But when the caregiver is with you full-time and you don't give what are considered full-time benefits it is a problem. Caregivers who are predominantly off the books and below the income limit on the books can get subsidized health insurance. But if all of the income is on the books they typically won't qualify and the cost is going to be exorbitant.

I have four caregivers, one full-time and the others part-time. Even with this it is hard to patch together a fill in schedule when someone needs time off. My experience of over 33 years has shown that just one backup will not suffice.

My out-of-pocket costs astronomical, though in line with what it would probably cost to an agency for comparable coverage. I do not want to legally destitute myself to qualify for but what would probably lesser quality care (in my opinion). I have had caregivers, two of whom for over 25 years, one for 15 years, the other close to eight.

But I look at my assets and my "burn rate" of cash and I wonder what's can happen first, the demise of me or my cash.

Comment

Working...
      X