Taxes for home health aides do-it-yourself or payroll services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxes for home health aides do-it-yourself or payroll services

How are you handling taxes on your PCAs?

My PCA costs are about to go up significantly and I want to make sure to follow the tax code for 4-6 aides. I'm in Florida and I know I can avoid federal withholding if I'm okay with paying their half of FICA at year end. So in that case I would pay both halves, but save the trouble of withholding. This is what I've done before, but as costs were lower, their half was not very much. As for state taxes, I lived in a state with state income tax, so any state taxes were handled through that. I had to make quarterly estimated income tax payments for myself.

In any case, I'm assuming now the only way to handle this will be to withhold.
    How many people are using payroll services and what is a fair amount for them to charge. I have some that want to charge based on the number of employees. I have others that want to charge a percentage of total wages.

How many people are doing this on their own? Are you using something like TurboTax.

I'd much rather do it on my own, but I really don't have any idea where to start. I've done a lot of reading online and eventually I wind up confused. I think I'm wrapped up in the process, meaning getting withholding started, figuring out what percentage to withhold, communicating to them how much I withheld for each tax, FICA, FUTA, SUTA etc., and then actually remitting the amounts at the proper time into the proper place.

Anyway, I'd like to hear how people are making this work whether they're using a payroll service or handling it themselves.
    Thank you

I have been using nannypay software for a few years. It figures out all the payroll and tax stuff. The version for up to 10 employees costs about $200. To me, it is worth it. You can try it free for 30 days to check it out.

https://nannypay.com/

Comment

Working...
    X