Magic Bullet Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magic Bullet Problem

Has anyone here ever dealt with a problem in which their magic bullet suppositories quit working for them? Its not for me a matter of stool being too hard or loose. It used to be that I would insert the suppository while laying in bed, would immediately get into my wheelchair and head for the bathroom, and often would have a vigorous bowel movement within 10 minutes. Now it takes at least a half hour, sometime much more before anything happens, and when it does its far from vigorous, things just move very slow and I often don't get as much out as I should and then have to go through the process again the next day instead of my usual every other day routine.
    I've been a quad for 42 years now so have had a lot of experience at figuring out what works best for me. Haven't had to do dig stim for at least 35 years to get results, am not even capable of doing so anymore if I wanted to. And I don't want to, it would cause a lot of pain as movements are already not comfortable and leave m with pain back there afterward.
    I'm a C-6 incomplete quad with pretty good sensation everywhere. I'm independent, live alone with no help close by if I did need it, so really need my bowel regime to go well if I want to remain independent.
    Sorry for the unpleasant topic, I much appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone has. Thanks for your time.
    Pete

It's funny that I'm seeing this post. I also am a C6 and insert my suppository in bed, hop in my chair and roll into the bathroom. Usually, 5 to 10 minutes after I've transferred to my raised toilet seat, things go well. However, lately it's taken longer. Like 30-40 minutes and the results aren't as good. My Bullets were expired so I thought that might be an issue, but alas, yesterday things were back to semi normal. I am also over 30 years a quad and have some sensation. I'm as perplexed as you. I do my program every third day. I guess I'll keep checking in here to see if anyone has any ideas.

Jeff

Comment

This problem is common enough. As with many meds, the body can become accustomed to bisacodyl. I wish had a solution, especially since you cannot do digistim, PeterJ. Is your stool hard often?

Comment

Tetrayclone, I work really hard at keeping my stool pretty soft as thats what seems to work best for me. Someone who spent a day with with me would think that I overanalyze everything about my life, what I drink, what I eat, how much, how much stool I dump and its consistency, bla bla bla. I regularly tweak what goes in based on the state of what comes out. But its been those practices that have allowed me to manage this sad excuse for a body to the point that bowel accidents almost never happen to me, I manage to keep most of the other common quad issues at bay, I've never ha a pressure sore for example. I work my butt off at trying to stay healthy. Its because of this hard work that I've been able to say that life is still good despite my condition.

Comment

Working...
        X