Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowel Care

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting a question on the forum but I wanted to get some opinions. I am a C5/C6 quad and my wife assists me with bowel care regularly but the act of digital stimulation has begun to take an emotional toll. I understand that this is a somewhat personal subject but I was hoping to get some comments on how other high level quads do bowel care. Any topic related comments are welcome!

I'm a c3c4 quad injured 30 years. I did bowel care for the first 23 1/2 years . My life revolved around it. 6 1/2 years ago I got a colostomy and I couldn't be happier. Best decision I have ever made. What used to be a 2-4 hour bowel care routine is now a 5 minute bag empty or change. My only regret is not having it done 30 years ago.

Comment

I couldn't ever get it to work sitting on the throne. Hours and hours wasted trying. Finally tried it laying down on a chucks blue pad in bed where I could lay on my side comfortably and relax watching a ballgame. Now 15mins everynight before going to sleep. Roll it up in the blue pad, clean yourself with a wipe or two. Roll off the rolled up blue pad containing the stool and bag it with a scented kitchen garbage bag...use 2 if scented bags if needed. No suppositories...manage the stool consistency thru my diet. All I need is my pinky finger on my left hand. If I shared my bed with someone I'd close the bedroom door and signal them when the coast is clear. Hope this helps.
      "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
      T5/6 complete

Comment

it is a major pain in the ass training people to do it. Some just never get it. Some refuse to do it after watching it. It is traumatic to the rectal tissues as well.

Comment

I was 20 when injured and relied on family to help with "the routine" for many many years. I was felt terrible they had to help me with such a gross thing that was so time-consuming. I missed out on many going away opportunities with friends because I could never be more than two days away from a routine. When my parents "aged out" of being able to do it, I was facing the idea of having to hire an aid qualified to do the job. The thought of having to rely on the possibility of them calling in sick or moving on to other jobs was a very stressful thought. Everything else in my life required minimal help, but the bowel program was always a major challenge. I chose to have a colostomy done when I was 45, and it was a life changer. All of a sudden the ability to manage my bowel movements was something I could do myself. I wish I had done it a lot sooner!! Now instead of spending 1.5 hours doing digital stimulation, suppositories, enemas, and worrying of accidents, the longest it takes me to manage the colostomy is 10 minutes! That's a lot of extra sleep I get to have and a lot less stress.
          "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Comment

Working...
          X