Caregivers and Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caregivers and Coronavirus

Heard from a friend this past weekend that caretaker visits are becoming an issue. Apparently, one did not show up.
    My concern is that if "shelter in place" becomes the norm, it will have a negative impact on those who rely on daily caretakers. I'm not thinking of caretakers who may bring a virus, but more than that, their services may be restricted.

Just wondering has anyone has experienced difficulty like this lately and whether there are community based "back-up" plans, especially if one cannot get family or friends?

I am very, very troubled that disabled people's needs don't seem to be mentioned in the media - TV and newspapers. On public radio this week the segment was devoted to prisoners. Yes, that is a big concern needing attention, but so is the population of disabled persons who need a caretaker on a daily basis - I don't think most non-disabled people realize what kind of care is needed.

back-up? i'm private pay, i have 24/7 schedule diviied among 4 caregivers and it still is a problem

parents? 85 and 81

on-call agency?, they won't do it

yes, it scares me if this goes cataclysmic

Comment

Originally posted by crags View Post
      back-up? i'm private pay, i have 24/7 schedule diviied among 4 caregivers and it still is a problem

parents? 85 and 81

on-call agency?, they won't do it

Can you tell me what are some of the issues that prevent the caretakers from being a reliable source of help? Even when we don't have a pandemic.....is it 'not enough hours' to make it worthwhile, travel distance, etc, etc.? Do you have to find and hire them yourself or are there companies that screen and provide referrals for you to interview?
      I have been tooling around the internet on this due to a friend's need.(My husband and I are both paralyzed, not yet needing help). One place was medstarvna.org which is the web site for Med Star Visiting Nurse Association. The site said it's for "disabled or bed bound". But it may be restricted to those needing 'skilled service'.
      Why can someone call Molly Maid and get someone to come and clean their home, but not get a caretaker/nurse aid company to dispatch a worker??
      Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 03-19-2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

i have excellent help, 2 of my 4 been w/ me for over 24 yrs.

To be able to utilize the services of an agency you must guarantee them a minimum amount of time every week. Typically that would be, if my memory serves me correct, about three home health visits a week and then you must also have an initiation nurse visit to review your case, as well as periodic nurse visits. If you have enough money I guess you can pay them whatever this would cost, even if you don't use them. But you just cannot call them and say I need someone for coverage, for say, when someone takes a vacation..

And then there are other issues, for instance I live alone, such as how will they get into the house in the morning. There are solutions to this such as remotely operated deadbolts or an electronic combination lock which can use a temporary code.

But the bigger issues of things like how will a stranger, even if "trained", know how to do everything in your way and know where everything is in your house if they are wandering alone for the first time and don't know where anything is. It's different if you have someone to let them in and show them.

To pay the equivalent of their guaranteed home health visits and nurse reviews, essentially putting them on retainer, with the use them or not, would probably cost thousands of dollars a year.

I checked this several times over the years. And then if you did become comfortable with someone from an agency for fill in, there's no guarantee they will be available when you need them.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It's no wonder some folks have difficulty getting and keeping attendant care!

Comment

Coronavirus
            I just canned one of my PCA's, she thought it was important to be on the public bus to go out and just screw around. That was the last straw with her I just had it with her pot smoking stupidity, I tried to keep my cool but I just couldn't I knew she was on that bus going down to the city that's a war zone over here in Southern Connecticut as you know. I'm right next to NYC. I told her if I'm gonna die it will be on my own terms I don't need you to do it for me because you're irresponsible. It's a relief that my other PCA is a germaphobe.
            Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
            Bob Seger

Comment

How old was she? Sounds very immature and irresponsible.

Completely ignorant as to the risk she was putting herself in and thence, the patient.

You are lucky that you were able to get rid of her without disruption to your personal caregiving needs. At least it sounds that way.

Sometimes we are held hostage by irresponsible, disrespectful, incompetent and sometimes threatening caregivers because we do not have a replacement or someone to take on more hours until you find a replacement, which can take weeks if one is private hiring.

Can you imagine conducting interviews in times like these?

Comment

Originally posted by crags View Post
                How old was she? Sounds very immature and irresponsible.

Completely ignorant as to the risk she was putting herself in and thence, the patient.

You are lucky that you were able to get rid of her without disruption to your personal caregiving needs. At least it sounds that way.

Sometimes we are held hostage by irresponsible, disrespectful, incompetent and sometimes threatening caregivers because we do not have a replacement or someone to take on more hours until you find a replacement, which can take weeks if one is private hiring.

Can you imagine conducting interviews in times like these?
                OK here is the story. She is 37 years old and lived on the third floor apartment where I lived. I never met her until I was stuck in nursing home for 7 months due to my wife passing way, who was my sole caregiver.
                I actually met her through my sister who owns this apartment. So she came to the nursing home and I talked to her and she seems very nice, she was working part time at a doctors office at the time. So no problem I had her move downstairs where I have an extra bedroom which even included a private bathroom.OK so between a part time job and taking care of me banked well over 30K for the year. All this was short lived. She lied to my sister in myself about her boyfriend. When I was at the nursing home I was really out of it basically due to the fact my mom my father my wife all died within a 16 month period, you get it.

So when I got home the second night I was home her BF was throwing stuff all over the kitchen. I thought after after all of this I'm gonna be murdered in my own bedroom.
                I told her the next morning if it happens again you're both outta here. At the time I did had my second PCA who lived on the second floor, so it wasn't like I wouldn't be stranded. She was another pot smoking slut. She was fired within 6 months. I was able to fire her due to the fact I had a responsible CNA that worked for me on the weekend part time she was very happy to take over her hours, is she still with me today and she's totally responsible.

OK so today I interviewed a second CNA she will be tag teaming with her CNA friend, they both seem very respectable and understand what this job is all about. The first is studying and going to school to be an RN. Her friend has been a CNA for 19 years. No more degenerates I'm sure everything is gonna really workout fine for a change. I really I paid my dues.

Hey here is one other thing you'll find very interesting. Remember the nice boyfriend she told my sister and I was a hard working carpet installer. here's a little article about him.
                https://dailyvoice.com/connecticut/b...heroin/727939/

This piece of garbage was given a slap on the wrist in was released just in time hook up with his new girlfriend and my apartment f****** junkie!

Just let me say one more time I'm very confident now I have 3 excellent PCA's / CNA's that are normal it will workout fine
                Last edited by tvot; 04-10-2020, 11:28 PM.
                Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
                Bob Seger

Comment

I never had anybody live in, though it probably will be inevitable, but if I did that would be a no visitors policy. Even now with my day/night shift set up, there is a no visitor policy. I haven't even been asked, but that would be the policy.

It's bad enough having unstable people hoodwinking their way into a job, it's another when you have their unstable social network dragged into your life as well.

I always try to have people geographically close to the point where even if they have no experience, but everything else checks out (background, references, interview, etc.), I would strongly consider them. However, that can often backfire as one of the worst people I ever had lived only two blocks away which I thought was going to be a godsend. Turned out to be a nightmare.

Comment

Are there any references that can be provided to a caretaker – even a part-time or filling on how to take the most precautions for people with quadriplegic, and history of pneumonia, ventilator etc.?

I wonder if there are some simple printouts that have been made by a an organization. How is everyone here handling the fact that each aide can be a spreader and asymptomatic. My infectious disease doctors very cautious and concerned about certain attitudes and levels of hygiene that need to be kept in orders for lowering risk.

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                    X