In need of life advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
    It's too bad there are no assisted living places throughout the US (I'm in Canada). There's one across the street from me .. unfortunately it's filled with the elderly but I've seen two young guys there. $3900 per month and all meals paid plus care and clean.
    These types of places do exist in the US, if you can afford them. Can provide names of a few in Wa. and one in Az if interested.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Comment

I am having the same trouble with the aide's that come to take care of my father who is a paraplegic. We have one that doesnt show up for a week at a time, then she will claim she came and no one was home. My dad rarely leaves the house and if he has an appt we always tell the agency. I used to be a independant provider with the state of ohio and I was paid very well. I would never have treated my clients this way. I took care of a man with MS for 10 yrs until he had to go into a nursing home. Good luck to you and yeah,, I agree-take care of your own health care. Get your own place. Good luck to you.

Comment

I know ohio state and wright state have a huge disabled community, I realize your in cinci but would be worth a road trip to a support group meeting in those area and bounce ideas off other quads.
        another thought, how are your transfers? if not great consider an overhead lift with 4 way pad you could use yourself.
        lastly, u really don't know what your capable of until you really are in your own place and forced to figure things out. may surprise yourself.
        best of luck
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I am in the same boat with my daughter as you are with your mother. (T-6 9/2006 - 16) It's not easy for either one of you, probably harder for you. My daughter lives alone but due to a recent surgery she is totally dependent on me and not happy. From my point of view no one can take as good of care of her as me, but if she is able to find some one good I am willing to let go. I would suggest a college student who is willing to learn and can work with you around their schedule a nursing, OT or PT student would be ideal. They are eager to learn and would be happy to make a little extra money. Perhaps you can have more than one so you will always have a back up and line someone new up before one moves on. Keep moving forward, this dilemma will always be part of your life to deal with. The quality of health care and health care helpers is very poor, at least you are in a larger area and do have more choices, than us in a small town. Having your mother around for now is not a bad thing, she won't be around forever and it's good that you are planning your own future. Be proud of you accomplishments, it's and uphill battle not a block wall.

Comment

I do not want to discourage you but Ihave looked for a PCA for Ryan for years. They are not allowed to do bowel programs per regulation (have to be a RN or a parent to administer a bullet). Reliability and willingness to work have been issues. I am willing to treat someone very well but need some one to be here to get him up, to the shower, and to the van to go to school. He is able to dress and feed himself but cannot cook or prepare more than a sandwich. He goes to school three days a week and PT/OT at least one a week. Driving is important and my experience is that no one we have tried has been serious about their own safety (seat belts-basic) so why would I trust them with his safety?

I feel in my heart that there is some one out there who will be right but I have not found them. I am not asking for bowel programs, Just pushing to the shower and back and to the van and back with driving him to school or therapy, maybe a grilled cheese or some scrambled eggs. I do not think this is too much to ask but I guess it is.--eak
            Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
            mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
            Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Comment

I have a question bowel program get colostomy its easy quick and you keep ur space. makes u a lot more independent I live fl got lucky with my girl 23 can I payy her 11 and hr 1 hr a day off weekend plus gifts
              I use her just hr a day we ddo a clean sp change

Comment

Working...
              X