No announcement yet.

Paying family member

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Paying family member

    I'm sure this has been talked about before, I don't Qualify for the state services so everything I do is out of pocket. I would like to set up like a payroll for my wife and my other friend who takes care of me. I want to be able to show that they have actually have an income.

    I talked with my bank which does offer payroll services, because I want them to have a proof of income that shows all the taxes (Social Security, everything else) can you all point made their way to go and the best way to go about it

    C4 incomplete since 1985

    I would suggest a job description that includes performance expectations and salary. Proper time keeping is important as these are hourly tasks. you will need to get a federal EIN to be able to do social security, taxes, etc. The bank should take care of the tax deposits but make sure they are also doing FUTA and SUTA payments since I think you will responsible for these as an employer. They should take care of 941 returns, W-2 forms and all related payroll requirements.

    I would also suggest talking to a payroll service and look into the price of software to do it yourself. It is not that hard and the services are pricy.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09


      Why bother? "pay" them and declare it as 1099 income:

      It will be a lot easier.


        I'm self-employed (design) and am most often paid as a contractor -- 1099 as mentioned above. If you go that route, make sure your caregivers familiarize themselves with all the forms and taxes they will have to submit:

        FYI, when I became a full-time caregiver for my family (parents plus sis), one of Mom's nurses asked if I'd looked into getting paid. I did a little searching online and for our situation, it would have caused more problems than benefits. Good luck -- it's nice that you want to do that for them!