No announcement yet.

how can i live by myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Magic Bullet is not made at Shepherd. They do sell them though. We get them online by the box and do BP in on the shower/commode chair every other day. It takes about 45 minutes from the time I insert the Bullet. Ry can tell when he is finished or if he feels there is more to come. Normally, It comes in one pass, he cleans himself and I take the bag out. We joke at my house that between Ry and the cat, my outside trash can is really the poop can since we make very little trash that cannot be recycled or composted.

Try doing your program in a sitting position and it should reduce the time needed as you will have gravity assisting. If your shower chair does not have a commode component, you can use the same disposable pad your mom is putting under you-just put it on the floor.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Comment

There's no way I can try to do it sitting up. My mom has a bad back and it is just waaaaaay too much trouble to try to do a bowel program in a shower chair. But thanks for your comment. It helps to see what others are doing.
      I was injured 2 weeks after my 16th birthday on June 14th, 2004. My level of injury is C5 complete, but I can move my wrist.

My screen name comes from the movie The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Comment

I feel like I've made some progress with calling my independent living center and them directing me to HUD housing. I'm not sure how it would be but it seems more possible now.
        I was injured 2 weeks after my 16th birthday on June 14th, 2004. My level of injury is C5 complete, but I can move my wrist.

My screen name comes from the movie The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Comment

Originally posted by MeetMeInMontauk View Post
          Thank you! That is very encouraging! Did he work then? Does he work now?
          He has not worked a regular job since his accident. He did go back to school to work on his degree and he was a single dad with three kids (they're all grown up now) now he runs our household and I work full time.

Comment

Originally posted by MeetMeInMontauk View Post
            I feel like I've made some progress with calling my independent living center and them directing me to HUD housing. I'm not sure how it would be but it seems more possible now.
            The key part of getting the results that you want is to stay organized and stay on top of them. Document each phone call or correspondence and be persistent.

Comment

I'm the Mom in our situation and I've been telling my son to pretend I'm dead for the past few months because someday, hopefully not too soon, I will be! When that time comes he won't have me on call, will have to deal with everything on his own. Please tell your Mom that you need to be able to outlive her, as awful as that might sound!

You ou might do well to find a roommate. My son is living alone and the only HUD housing that's opened up has been for a minimum of two people. He's living in a place (independently, with caregivers coming and going) that we own, but I would rest easier if he had a roomie.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                Why do you only do bowel care every 4 days? Going longer than 3 days is highly correlated with long term problems such as obstructive megacolon. Why does it take 3-4 hours? Are you doing bowel care in bed or up on a toilet or commode? What does your actual bowel care consist of (suppository, dig stim, etc. etc.). Ideally bowel care should not take more than 45-60 minutes total, start to finish.
                (KLD)
                Yes, do take better care of your bowels. There must be a manual somewhere that gives the awful advice that paralyzed people don't need to have bowel movements but every 3, 4, or even 5 days, because that's what the Director of Nursing smugly told me at my last nursing home when I went to his office begging for Bowel help. Your young body was probably very efficient, but as your metabolism slows down, those retained toxins will give you trouble.

Regarding loosing your Medicaide if you work...look into that for the State where you live. The site for Texas says:
                "The Texas Medicaid thresholds for 2016 are as follows: an individual can have up to $2,199 per month in income and $2,000 in assets. The state permits applicants to not include the value of their home or primary vehicle."

That's for not loosing Medicaid. However, there must be a threshold at which you would loose your attendant coverage and would have to pay for that yourself. So, there is definitely a lot to find out before taking a paying job.
                Last edited by Vintage; 12-23-2016, 11:11 PM.
                Female, T9 incomplete

Comment

What about a reversible colostomy to make you independent and quicker?
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Working...
                  X