No announcement yet.

a caregiving nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just don't understand police not doing anything. And honestly its not so different in the US. I understood when the police didn't give a crap about my car being broken into. But I was assaulted once and the individual was never charged. However I WAS able to get a restraining order, and what happened to me is nothing compared to what happened to your husband. I can't imagine. That should be attempted murder! Or at least assault with a deadly weapon.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

I hate to say this, but.... could you sue this individual to get the $$ back? Would a lawyer for you be helpful at all?

The reason I suggested the politician is that sometimes, you actually talk to someone who cares. Yeah, a bit too hopeful..

This scenario is quite scary because it reminds you that it is quite difficult to "prove" that someone has done something with intent.... It may actually be true that the cops realize you are right, but they know what their legal requirements are for convicting someone. I have seen people in the US suffer in the same situation. One friend had a valuable musical instrument stolen worth $35,000. The police couldn't be bothered to investigate at all. My Friend called every pawn shop/music store in the state, and sure enough... his instrument eventually showed up. He got the name and address of the person who was trying to sell it. Yet, the police never even contacted the person. They said.... "there's no proof he took it... how can you be sure it's the same instrument (idiotic..).... someone could have given it to him... " blah blah blah. In the end, the instrument disappeared. He at least got insurance to cover it.

Can insurance ever be helpful in something like your situation? If you have filed a police report for theft...

Your husband could have hurt seriously... or worse... it is still very shocking to me that your police are not more involved. They just don't understand....

Comment

I would also be going to the local newspapers or television news. Not sure how it is over there, but there are reporters assigned to the "Consumer protection" beat, or something similar who may be willing to run an article about your situation...and about how unresponsive politicians and police have been as well.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

We think that it will be impossible to get anywhere in civil court without any type of a conviction. In ordinary civil cases, the losing party must pay the legal costs as fixed by the court, which is in most cases substantially lower than the actual legal costs, and probably most of the money would just go to the lawyer. Contingency fee arrangements are also forbidden. Insurance is also not an option.

For us this is not really about recovering the money. One of our biggest complaints is that the police seem to have for the most part ignored the medication overdose, and treated this as if it was only about the theft of the money. They refused to even consider that the poisoning of our dogs was possibly in retaliation for going to the police. I could not even get the police to file a report about the poisonings and the only option they gave was to do an internet report for damages to property.

As far as political options, I also don't think that is going to get us too far, though I have thought about it. The only way I think it would help is if I can get it tied in to current changes they are making to the care system here in trying to have more people receive volunteer help. This is a good example of how risky that is, if even with a paid caregiver under contract we can not get basic justice, it could only be worse with a volunteer caregiver.

Originally posted by hlh View Post
          I hate to say this, but.... could you sue this individual to get the $$ back? Would a lawyer for you be helpful at all?

The reason I suggested the politician is that sometimes, you actually talk to someone who cares. Yeah, a bit too hopeful..

This scenario is quite scary because it reminds you that it is quite difficult to "prove" that someone has done something with intent.... It may actually be true that the cops realize you are right, but they know what their legal requirements are for convicting someone. I have seen people in the US suffer in the same situation. One friend had a valuable musical instrument stolen worth $35,000. The police couldn't be bothered to investigate at all. My Friend called every pawn shop/music store in the state, and sure enough... his instrument eventually showed up. He got the name and address of the person who was trying to sell it. Yet, the police never even contacted the person. They said.... "there's no proof he took it... how can you be sure it's the same instrument (idiotic..).... someone could have given it to him... " blah blah blah. In the end, the instrument disappeared. He at least got insurance to cover it.

Can insurance ever be helpful in something like your situation? If you have filed a police report for theft...

Your husband could have hurt seriously... or worse... it is still very shocking to me that your police are not more involved. They just don't understand....
          Last edited by elarson; 02-05-2015, 07:09 AM.
          Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

We managed to get an article in the regional newspaper. They based it mostly on the poisoning of the dogs, but also wrote a little about the medication overdose and theft. I've sent them the petition and am trying to get them to do a follow-up piece. I've also had contact with the regional television news, and they have expressed interest in doing a piece. I've also contacted a national television program that does shows about "controversial reports about scams and the latest news, alerts and tips from the world of fraud" and am hoping for a response.

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            I would also be going to the local newspapers or television news. Not sure how it is over there, but there are reporters assigned to the "Consumer protection" beat, or something similar who may be willing to run an article about your situation...and about how unresponsive politicians and police have been as well.

(KLD)
            Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

That's excellent! Sometimes a little public pressure can move police to action, especially with a little shove from your local embarrassed politician!
              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Nice job!! Use the first story as a jumping off point for going to speak to local politicians. Now that it has been in the press, there is more pressure on them to get involved... especially if you tell them that there will be a follow-up story and their name could be mentioned.... (if they don't help...).

How pathetic you have to jump through these hoops. Shame shame Holland.... shame shame...

Comment

This is thoroughly discouraging to have a absolutely useless Police force. Of what use are they ? We whine about ours, yet we get real service from ours. A case such as yours would cause a hullabloo of activity. I know you love your dogs, but this is really a case of attempted murder in the comittment of larceny, at the least an attempt to cause serious bodily harm while comitting larceny. The dogs are by far secondary. Produce it that way to the TV people, and the ineptitude of your local Police, to even investigate. Don't let this go away.

Comment

I got the update, I hope you're doing ok elarson And I really hope the police start taking this seriously!!!!
                    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Thanks ~Lin,

No, the police or prosecution have not done anything yet. I've waited to send the petition because we were waiting for another newspaper article. Here is a link if you want to see the roughly translated English: http://www.pitlarson.com/internet-pe...er-dog-jansen/

It's still pretty slow going with getting support on the petition. I think the story is just too complicated for most.

Comment

Sorry to hear you're going through this, I've had $$ and pain medication stolen by CNA's over the years but nothing as bad this. Do you have security cameras? I don't mean to frighten you but you might want to get some considering whats happened. Anyway, I signed, good luck!
                        Dan G. in CT

Comment

Thanks Quadzila. Every signature helps, even if they don't take action -- it helps us to know that we are not crazy in expecting basic justice. This situation would not have been changed by camera's. the drug overdose was given in a wheelchair taxi just before they arrived home. Mostly I am around when care people are here, because I work from home. If that ever changes, I'll definitely get camera's, but that also assumes the time to be able to check them.

Comment

signed
                            Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 04-10-2015, 10:39 PM. Reason: Removed spam url

Comment

Signed

Comment

Working...
                              X