Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call me crazy, but I loaned my PCA $4,000 to buy a new (preowned) car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's down to owing $3,700.

Comment

I guess you should know after 4.5 years whether he is honorable or not.

And when you make a personal loan of that amount of money you should consider it gone. a gift.

What may be worse is losing him as a PCA if and when he becomes embarrassed or whatever, and stops showing up. I think that would be my primary worry.

Comment

The problem with loaning money to an aide, similar to having a romantic relationship, is that when this part of the relationship goes bad, it usually irretrievably damages the working relationship and thus you often wind up losing the employee as well.

I loaned $1500 to an employee and when the payments were set to begin was told she didn't have at all. I got all my money back, but it was an ugly nine-month period that to this day is always foremost in my mind, though I don't know how much in hers. I vowed at that time never to loan money to employees or cross the line into a romantic relationship, though the latter can result in a productive outcome for both, albeit I would venture to say, rarely.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Peter View Post
          He's down to owing $3,700.

I'm curious if this represents a partial payment ($200 when he promised to pay $600 per month) or on-time weekly payments.

Also, are you charging him interest?

Comment

I loaned my mother $5k. SPECIFICALLY told here it was a loan, not a gift. Even told here I did not need it back immediately, but I DO NEED IT BACK. I think it is somewhere around 5 years ago. I finally asked her if she was ever going to start paying it back. She claims I told her I did not need paid back.

Comment

He's down to $2,700 on the informal car loan. But I will never see $800 I loaned to one brother (who somehow manages to afford a country club membership) or $30,000 in rent that another brother owes me.

Comment

If you are not planning on writing off your brother's loan, I'd start calling on the first of the month saying that you could really use the cash.
                Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Working...
                X