Do you have words to live by?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have words to live by?

Another online group I'm fond of had a long thread today about favorite movie lines. I posted this one from Lord of the Rings.

It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow.
    That's Sam . . . brave, frustrated, sorrowful, relentless Sam always makes me think of caregivers. It's only a passing thing, this shadow!

I think he's right. Things tend to work out in the end. And I really like relentless.

Comment

I don't have a favorite line per se. However I do have a scene from a movie I try to live by. In the Blues Brothers when Jake and Elwood are calling Morty Sline in a phone booth, Carrie Fisher shoots a Laz Rocket at them, it hits a propane tank, it explodes and they go flying in the air, then crash. Elwood looks at Jake and says "There must be 7-8 bucks worth of quarters here" (probably not exact quote).

I want to attain that level of Zen, that when shit literally blows up around you, your reaction is to grab some spare change and move on.

Comment

These are the latest words of wisdom that my father provided last week. I'm still meditating on them.

Here is a little context before I share this gem. I'm a 42 yr old c7 complete, 23 yrs post, divorced 6yrs ago and getting back into the dating scene and not having much success (shocker I know).

Dad: Don't worry son your going to find plenty of women over 40 because most of them lose interest in sex around that age.

Me: How do you know you've never dated a woman over 40?

Dad: Exactly!

Me: Thanks for that.

Dad: I'm serious son, you'd be surprised how many women really don't like sex.

Me: Okay

Comment

Keep a Positive Mental Attitude(PMA) and maximize your potential with what you have left.

Comment

I'm sure my Dad didn't invent it but he did impress it upon me when I was young.

"Yard by yard, life is hard. Inch by inch, it's a cinch."
            TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Comment

all my ancestors.

to me that means we are all connected, and related to all things, and should have respect for all things because all things affected can have an effect on everyone and everything.

Comment

getter done
                Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
                "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
                (1930- )

Comment

Sustained Motion----keep moving forward in all ways you can.

I also got drunk during my last divorce and got a tattoo on my arm that says Live Strong, Live Free,,,,,,but let's not go there.
                  2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                  Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Comment

Saw a clip from the movie "The Best Marigold Hotel" set in India.

Englisman complains about how badly his stay is going at the Marigold.

Desk Clerk: "In India we have a saying, everything will be alright in the end."

Englishman: "Well things are not alright!"

Desk Clerk: "That means its not the end."

Comment

Expect the worst but hope for the best.
                        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Live your life one breath at a time.
                          (Breath in a deep breath....see? You made it through one more exhale.)

Comment

I've always liked "Dance as if no one were watching".
                            Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

This too shall pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X