Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I still recieve care while earning a substantial income?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Due to shoulder and hand injuries, as well as overall decline in health I'm going to have to increase the level of my care, with an extraordinary increase in costs. Although I do not work, I have Social Security and employer disability income just in excess of 60 K. Thus, I would not qualify for the the Medicaid buy-in program. In addition, I have financial assets in excess of the miniscule eligibility threshold mandated by Medicaid.

    Thus, I do not know any avenue to decrease my costs. I do not see how this will be sustainable going forward without bankrupting myself and my parents. I guess eventually after spending every penny I will eventually qualify for Medicaid.

    Comment


      #32
      Just like crags, I get disability from employer - 60% gross pay. Also get SSDI but this total is deducted from employer. Now the SSDI is a fixed number that was established when initial payment was served. So each year if government decides give an increase in SS, this no longer impacts.
      Last edited by rlmtrhmiles; 15 Feb 2013, 5:41 AM. Reason: typo

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
        Just like crags, I get disability from employer - 60% gross pay. Also get SSDI but this total is deducted from employer. Now the SSDI is a fixed number that was established when initial payment was served. So each year if government decides give an increase in SS, this no longer impacts.
        my ssdi has increased since i went on it after yrs of working so dunno what you're talking about.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by cass View Post
          my ssdi has increased since i went on it after yrs of working so dunno what you're talking about.
          SSDI has a yearly cost of living adjustment tied to the national inflation index. If you have children, you receive an increase during the years they attend college.
          Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by EyesOfTexas View Post
            I would be interested to hear if you ever find anything worthwhile from a lawyer or other sources. I have been in an identical situation. I was in undergrad and graduate school for 7 years after my injury, so I could stay on Medicaid for all those years. My goal by sticking through graduate school was to make enough so that I can offset my medical expenses (as a complete C-4 quadriplegic, I have about 40k/year expenses in morning/evening caregivers, supplies, etc.). Of course it's nice to have a higher-than-average salary, but it would be nice to be able to enjoy it as much as my colleagues who put the same time and effort into their education to get the same job and have little to no medical expenses.

            The current system doesn't provide any motivation for people who don't have higher education to get off government assistance. If you have substantial medical expenses, it's difficult to break that threshold and still be able to support yourself.
            And that drives me crazy. The disincentives to work are real when you require our level of care. Thankfully that disincentive is melting away here in British Columbia.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by Van Quad View Post
              And that drives me crazy. The disincentives to work are real when you require our level of care. Thankfully that disincentive is melting away here in British Columbia.
              It is a slow melt in the USA, but we are warming up gradually. The cliff effects are the most discouraging, tiered reductions as income increases make more sense than the all or nothing most face now.
              http://about.me/joshuawinkler

              Comment

              Working...
              X