Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
    Oh go watch lock up and be quiet!
    Okay, I was going to start a thread about how I thought Jesus and Judas were gay lovers and Judas betrayed Jesus because of an 11-way Jesus had with the other disciples while including links to my blog, facebook, twitter, google+, myspace and linked-in accounts... but Lockup sounds more fun.

(I know that would be a 12way, but Thomas the disciple wasn't down for it for some reason)

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
      Okay, I was going to start a thread about how I thought Jesus and Judas were gay lovers and Judas betrayed Jesus because of an 11-way Jesus had with the other disciples while including links to my blog, facebook, twitter, google+, myspace and linked-in accounts... but Lockup sounds more fun.

(I know that would be a 12way, but Thomas the disciple wasn't down for it for some reason)
      funny!

though she wouldnt be the only one to do this..by far.many have their blogs listed on their sig. but yeah..I totally get your point.
      "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post

OK Snake.......ooops I mean T8.

Comment

After reading through the contents of this post, I decided to leave it in the Caregiving forum for the following reasons.

1. It asks a legitimate and interesting question, i.e. should spouses be caregivers?
          2. It is not trying to sell a commercial product.
          3. It is about caregiving.

The post did contain a link going to another forum but that forum is legitimate and discusses issues relevant to caregiving. I think that the question posed in the first post is interesting and perhaps we can get the discussion back on track, instead on focussing on the link to another website.

Spouses often end up taking care of their disabled partners, particularly veterans [source]http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=122008[/source]. This is not surprising since our spouses are frequently not only are our partners but our closest friends and family members. A quick search found many websites discussing spousal caregiving by both males and females. Several web sites provide support for spousal caregiving, including a site called www.carepages.com, which allows people to communicate with other caregivers. One topic on that site had a particularly relevant discussion: http://www.carepages.com/forums/care...ing-for-spouse .

The question whether a spouse should be the caregiver is interesting. Most of the time, there is little choice. In fact, caregiving is part of vows that are spoken in Christian and western-style weddings, promising to care for the spouse "in sickness and in health...", "to love and cherish till death do us part", etc. In fact, the concept of a lifetime marriage assume caring for one's spouse towards the end of life.

Caregiving for spinal cord injury, however, may last a lifetime. The question whether a spouse should be the caregiver is relevant because divorce rates are so high after spinal cord injury. The stresses of caregiving and the changes of relationships are often so severe that one or both spouses divorce shortly after injury. Guilt alone is not a sufficient reason for continuing a marriage. Likewise, dependence is not a good basis for a marriage.

On the other hand, I know many people (and there are many who frequent this web site) who are happily married to a person with a severe disability for many years. So, being a caregiving spouse is not only possible but can be a source of great satisfaction. They have clearly overcome some of the problems that cause divorces.

Attention, however, needs to be paid to mental and emotional strains. A recent study suggest that spousal caregivers who experience mental or emotional strain are more likely to die than non-caregivers [source]http://www.caregiverstress.com/stress-management/situations/providing-care-support-for-spouse/[/source] and male caregivers have an higher risk of stroke than female caregivers [source]http://news.usf.edu/article/templates/?a=1936[/source].

Some common sense approaches should be taken to caregiving. For example, caregivers need time off. They need support. They should be able to relieve stress and obtain advice about the problems. Of course, they should be appreciated.
          Last edited by Wise Young; 2 Jan 2012, 1:07 AM.

Comment

My situation has my primary caregiver for morning activities being outsourced to an outside agency and my wife providing my evening care, with my sons helping randomly when they are around. early in this but so far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
              There are many MALE caregivers too. This is not a role exclusive to women, or to even to spouses.

(KLD)
              Yes, I agree 100%. But, in this case, the article I was referring to just happened to be by a woman, who found support in connecting with other women.

Let me pose a different question-- If you are a caregiver for a person with a SCI, do you ever experience caregiver burnout? If so, how do you deal with the related stress?

Comment

If you do a search of our Caregiving forum you will find numerous threads relating to burnout. Here's the link to one of many previous discussions -

http:///forum/showthread.php?t=14663...egiver+burnout

Obieone
                ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
                Jane Siberry

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieH View Post
                    Yes, I agree 100%. But, in this case, the article I was referring to just happened to be by a woman, who found support in connecting with other women.

Let me pose a different question-- If you are a caregiver for a person with a SCI, do you ever experience caregiver burnout? If so, how do you deal with the related stress?
                    Nope, never. Its sunshine and roses at our house 24/7.
                    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieH View Post

My Mother is dealing with this.not due to sci family member (me) but as she is now the caretaker to her husband who is diagnosed with Alzheimers..how does she deal with the stress?

Medication..seems to be helping to calm her nerves. I REALLY worry how the stress is affecting her longevity. She was told recently to go to a support group...kinda like what you have here..I hope she participates. Certainly this has proven to be beneficial...support from others in the same place..
                      "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

Originally posted by zillazangel View Post

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by zillazangel View Post
                          Your's too? L ove it when the unicorns fly by and scatter fairy dust........

Comment

Hey those are my unicorns...send them back please!

Comment

Originally posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
                              Hey those are my unicorns...send them back please!
                              As soon as they are done washing the windows, little darlings that they are......

Comment

Working...
                              X