Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to deal with caregiver's req for pay increase when my income remains the same? W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to deal with caregiver's req for pay increase when my income remains the same? W

i have a very nice, good helper but she wants annual increase. my income doesn't increase so i can't sustain this. what to do?
    Last edited by cass; 23 Dec 2011, 3:59 AM.

be honest, you cant afford it and that is that.
    its a rotten time to look for a new job, I'll tell you that much. I did just get a notice though that Im going from $666-690, I havnt gotten a col raise in five years.

everyone should get one, but then medicare is due to raise and it will be going down soon again.

Comment

I would say you have to tell her exactly that. A lot of places aren't giving increases in this economy, so it isn't a given that everyone gets a raise or annual increase.

And I am guessing that as much as she would like one, it isn't going to be a dealbreaker, I highly doubt she is going to quit over it.
      T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

That's a tough one Cass. When you have someone doing a good job and don't want to lose them it puts you in a bind.
        Can you tell her that you can't afford it and try to meet her half way so she doesn't feel insulted?

Comment

she wants 15/hr, a 2 dollar raise. she isn't asked to do that much and i pay for perks, like 3 cell phones for her family. her hubby has another job interfering injury so i dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by cass View Post
            she wants 15/hr, a 2 dollar raise. she isn't asked to do that much and i pay for perks, like 3 cell phones for her family. her hubby has another job interfering injury so i dunno.
            If you were to actually be considering it, that's a 15% bump in salary in a year where the BLS reported a 3.4% increase in CPI. However, based on your statement, it sounds like you've already made up your mind.
            Daniel

Comment

dude that is a huge raise. I didnt get two dollar raises in any job I worked. certainly not as an aid, which I did for four years.

Id get 50 cents or 75 cents an hour. once I got a buck, but I hadnt had a raise in two years.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc View Post
                If you were to actually be considering it, that's a 15% bump in salary in a year where the BLS reported a 3.4% increase in CPI. However, based on your statement, it sounds like you've already made up your mind.
                please explain, dan. i dunno what to do.

Comment

she wants a $2 raise and you pay for her 3 cell phones? shoot I want to come work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
                    dude that is a huge raise. I didnt get two dollar raises in any job I worked. certainly not as an aid, which I did for four years.

Id get 50 cents or 75 cents an hour. once I got a buck, but I hadnt had a raise in two years.
                    well, yeah. she says she's been offered 20. i said take it. this is not a short term or weird person. known her for yrs. it's hard to listen to her cause i care. i care a lot.

Comment

she seems to be making decent money actually, and I think it is unfair for her use the I got a better offer thing.

you give her a $2 an hour raise every year? and she gets 3 cell phones? I wonder if the $20 and hour will cover her three free cell phones?

Comment

i can never win here cause i need help. i can't win. even my own son holds it over my head. no wonder ppl give up. i have no family. so i have nobody to fall back on. i worked all these yrs in pain and paralyzed just to find i'm alone. it's hard to find a reason to go on. but, no worries, i will.

Comment

I do hope so cass, you would be missed here thats for sure.
                          Id rather work for less. the position is stable because you do need the help, and you guys like each other. and cell phones are not cheap.

is she giving you a decent notice? I mean to find someone else?

Comment

The going rate here for an aide that will do bowel program, shower and the things a high level quad with a trach needs is $17.00 hr.
                            Since the state waiver program will pay $15.84 the aides are OK with that even if the one we paid out of pocket for the first year was getting $17.00.
                            They do get a 2 hour mn for the mornings that are not shower BP that don't take that long.
                            If they were through an agency they would be paid less, but you would probably pay more. No agency will take my husband so we find our own people.
                            There are so few people in our area looking for homecare that is not helping old ladies to the commode and cutting their toast our choices are small.
                            The hospitals are always hiring with good benefits so we lose help that way too.
                            I realize you don't need that much help Cass and sympathize with the annoyance of needing help.
                            If her chores are not heavy duty your wage sounds fair.
                            Perks like paying for cell phones are pretty nice if you ask me.
                            I agree. It sucks.

Comment

i'm pretty independent. bowel 2x/week. i hardly do showers or get outta bed due to pain. so, she doesn't do much. do i want to do more? yeah. but it isn't her fault. i'm losing hope. been so active so long and finally said i can't do it any more just to find out medicare and my work supplement don't care.

i dunno. why did i work all these 25 yrs? i can't pay 15/hr for help.

i'm c7, in bad pain. haven't had shower since november some time. hurts too much. i don't even get sheets changed as it hurts. so, there's not much being asked here. i don't understand at all.

i really don't want to live like this any more. i give and give and it's never enough. it never will be. it is a no win unless you have family, which i don't.
                              Last edited by cass; 20 Dec 2011, 3:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X