No announcement yet.

nursing homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the vast majority of nursing home care in the USA is paid by Medi-Caid, once people have been denied any/further Medicare coverage and they have exhausted their private resources enough to quality for Medi-Caid.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

no wonder mom (who died first) said she worried about dad and finances. he had parkinsons, she had polycystic kidneys. my family is a lucky lot

thx for info.

btw kld, ty for everything. knew you first on another site and you put in a lot of time supporting us, sites and your mom. you are really amazing. thank you.

Comment

I'm 33 quad, no arm use. Living in nursing home as well. sucks, i only leave my room to go outside if it is nice out. otherwise i sit here everyday on my computer 10-12 hours a day. not much of a life...

Comment

Another option

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          Most states require at least 30 days residency to become Medi-Caid eligible. You might find a nursing home who would take you private pay if you have that kind of money (would probably run around $4500+ for a month) but I suspect you do not as otherwise you would not be Medi-Caid eligible.

If there is anyway at all that you can do this move without going directly nursing home to nursing home, that should be your plan. Family who could go with you and provide your care until you can get Medicare waiver attendant funding might be an option, but my understanding is that this is extremely difficult to arrange and get approved for in Florida.

I would recommend that you contact the ILC closest to where you plan to live and see if they have ideas or resources for you for getting out of an institutional living situation all together.

Nursing homes rarely are eager to take people with SCI. Not only do they have fairly high care needs (they won't do intermittent cath, for example) but they also know that people with SCI are alert and oriented and have no problems advocating for themselves and complaining when they get poor care. In my experience, folks with SCI usually are doing the same for the other nursing home residents by about their 3rd day there, so they are seen overall as "trouble makers" by the powers that be.

(KLD)
          In Florida the "Center for Independent living" is the major resource for disabled individuals if you go to their main website ishttp://www.ilru.org/html/publication...ory/index.html That would definitely be the way to start. But I also agree that for us to help you properly we have to know more about the statistics of your disability. If I can help in any other capacityplease send me a private message
          Mark Twain: Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't"

What is gone before is gone. All you have now are the results of your actions.

Anti--Intellectualism is been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notionthat democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge - Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Art454 View Post
            Looks like a bullet to the head is the best answer when I can no longer take care of myself.

Art
            My sentiment exactly.
            NH are horrible

Comment

Working...
            X