Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowel accident clean up tip

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bowel accident clean up tip

    Another accident last night. Doesn't happen often but I was reminded that having done this for many (many!) years I had implemented a short cut which makes the clean up feel more manageable. I cut the underwear off and discard. Somehow this simple step makes a difference in how I feel about the process. Prior to this with the soaking etc needed to clean up the underwear for reuse it seemed more involved, grosser. So I throw this out for your consideration...

    #2
    Brilliantly simple idea.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by kelpa123 View Post
      Another accident last night. Doesn't happen often but I was reminded that having done this for many (many!) years I had implemented a short cut which makes the clean up feel more manageable. I cut the underwear off and discard. Somehow this simple step makes a difference in how I feel about the process. Prior to this with the soaking etc needed to clean up the underwear for reuse it seemed more involved, grosser. So I throw this out for your consideration...
      sounds like good advice, but i quit wearing underwear before my accident
      We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
      Ronald Reagan

      Comment


        #4
        I would recommend this Good tip to those who wear night pull ups as it does make a big difference in cleaning up .

        Comment


          #5
          Have done this a few times, works great!
          Shorts-$4.99
          Not having poo smeared from one end to the other-priceless
          c3/c4, injured 2007

          Comment


            #6
            Or this is how I look at it -
            Shorts- $4.99
            Retaining my sanity - priceless!

            Comment


              #7
              Underwear? I'm a quad....Quads don't wear underwear.

              Good tip, though!

              Comment


                #8
                My husband wears underwear. And when there is an accident, I am grateful that he does!

                Comment


                  #9
                  I do the same thing. A 4 pack of underwear at amazon is 12 bucks. If there is a "code brown" they go in the trash. I hadn't thought of cutting them off, that is a great idea! Thanks.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Prerun View Post
                    Underwear? I'm a quad....Quads don't wear underwear.

                    Good tip, though!
                    Huh? Sorry for the ignorance, why?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                      Huh? Sorry for the ignorance, why?
                      I'm sure this isn't a complete list for why quads might not wear underwear but here goes:

                      - It's one more layer in getting dressed (time, energy, ...)
                      - It's one more thing that can cause an occasional problem with a leg bag system
                      - A lot of quads get dressed for the day once and have a hard time adjusting their clothes throughout the day (for example my pants can drop a few inches by the end of the day; underwear would complicate this even more and could be riding me in various ways if I do a lot of transfers)
                      - when you have an accident it's one more layer you have to deal with
                      - as a SCI individual you're probably sitting all day so is the support that underwear provides really that valuable?
                      - for quads straddling the total independence line (in a multitude of ways) it's just easier to keep your life as simplified as possible and underwear can be just another unneccesary thing
                      - quads are usually taught this in rehab

                      Sorry Prerun, if I stepped in and answered a question that was intended for you.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The adventure's of cleaning up your own poop, good tips...I throw away cut underwear im quadish too c6-7 and crazy as hell jk...
                        My wifey 1st discover cuttin them off.
                        *Add underwear to monthly med, supplies.
                        coolbreeze c6/7

                        Keep on moving don't stop!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Patton57,

                          You hit the nail on the head! I was suffering from AD needlessly for the first few months after my crash because of underwear. I haven't owned underwear for 20 years. I'm also extremely lucky to rarely have bowel accidents. I really can't remember my last one.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            If there is a "code brown" they go in the trash.


                            Here I thought I was being lazy for tossing hubby's "code brown" underwear. Thanks for making me feel good about it.
                            I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.
                            - Jackie Mason -

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Patton57 View Post
                              I'm sure this isn't a complete list for why quads might not wear underwear but here goes:

                              - It's one more layer in getting dressed (time, energy, ...)
                              - It's one more thing that can cause an occasional problem with a leg bag system
                              - A lot of quads get dressed for the day once and have a hard time adjusting their clothes throughout the day (for example my pants can drop a few inches by the end of the day; underwear would complicate this even more and could be riding me in various ways if I do a lot of transfers)
                              - when you have an accident it's one more layer you have to deal with
                              - as a SCI individual you're probably sitting all day so is the support that underwear provides really that valuable?
                              - for quads straddling the total independence line (in a multitude of ways) it's just easier to keep your life as simplified as possible and underwear can be just another unneccesary thing
                              - quads are usually taught this in rehab

                              Sorry Prerun, if I stepped in and answered a question that was intended for you.
                              I wear boxer-briefs because without them on, Mr. Dick flops around to much if i'm going commando and this can lead to extra amounts of accidental wood situations. Not cool if say i'm transferring into my mom or sister's car to go somewhere, attending a family gathering, or any number of other situations where being sprung is not exactly something i want happening at that moment. That could be exasperated even further with nothing to keep it at least somewhat tucked in to where i a gotta try and cover a rock hard stiffy on my thigh at a family gathering.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X