Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct way to carry wheelchair bound person downstairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct way to carry wheelchair bound person downstairs?

I can never remember which way I'm suppose to face and they folks are getting ready to carry me downstairs...

I thought it was in one of the PVA publications--looking now...
    Last edited by em; 3 Feb 2010, 8:11 PM. Reason: added one sentence...
    EM

If you're in your chair you would normally be facing down the stairs - good luck, I hate it and close my eyes!

Comment

I hate it too. Elevator is out again...
      EM

Comment

I hate remembering that i can't get down a f* stairway but besieds that i pass my arms around their necks and start cheering and yelling them like in a Dragon boat
        It either works or works with some laughs.
        Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Comment

I go up & down the same way..facing down.
          Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

Like others have said, go forward down. Make sure they tip your chair backwards so your front wheels are up, and they "bump" you down. You shouldn't be literally facing down the stairs since you are tipped back, and shouldn't feel like you're falling out either. Have someone spot you in front if you are worried.

Comment

From the Easter Seals emergency evacuation website:

To assist in moving a wheelchair downstairs
              When descending stairs, stand behind the chair grasping the pushing grips. Tilt the chair backwards until a balance is achieved. Descend frontward. Stand one step above the chair, keeping center of gravity low and letting the back wheels gradually lower to the next step. Be careful to keep the chair tilted back. If possible, have another person assist by holding the frame of the wheelchair and pushing in from the front. Do not lift the chair as this places more weight on the individual behind.

Harder and potentially more dangerous to do if you have a chair without push handles. Of course you cannot do this with a power chair or scooter.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by gurly2356 View Post
                I go up & down the same way..facing down.
                X2 on that!

Comment

I have been taught to be backwards down, big wheels first, they always do that here, even in rehab when it is necessary. We learn to do it that way if we are alone too and on esculators.
                  TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

They normally just give me a big shove. Are they trying to tell me something?
                    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Comment

LOL Wheelie Mike Too funny. Before we got our elevator David wanted to go downstairs soo bad. Being in a power chair I knew there was no way. He wanted me to put plywood on the stairs and he was sure he could make it. (we never tried)

Comment

I always go down facing forward (down), tipped back of course, so I am really almost facing the sky LOL. Going up it depends on the steps and who is helping.
                        T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by woman from Europe View Post
                          I have been taught to be backwards down, big wheels first, they always do that here, even in rehab when it is necessary. We learn to do it that way if we are alone too and on esculators.
                          We also do it that way but I haven't tried riding up and down the escalators, only elevators. Isn't it dangerous?

Comment

When we were at a convention in the city once Bill took it upon himself to go up the escalator by having someone spot him from the back holding his push grips from behind while he held on to each side of the rails allowing the escalator carry him up to the top .... it was a bit scary at first but once in place and he got going was effortless and he got to the top without a hitch.

On the other hand ... we were at a friends house for dinner once and my friends hubby was bumping Bill down their front steps (about 4 cement stairs somewhat steepish) with me spotting in front - he tripped on a piece of sheepskin Bill had hanging down the back of his wheelchair (that we should have pulled up and out of the way ) Our friend never let go of the chair but he came down very hard on his knees in an effort to save Bill from pitching forward ...... it could have been so much worse but we learned some valuable lessons that day !! I felt terrible for our friend and for Bill .... it scared the dickens out of all of us !

Obieone
                            ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
                            Jane Siberry

Comment

I always say, "Carry the chair like a baby stroller". Big wheels on the steps, casters tiltled upward, one at a time.
                              Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

Working...
                              X