Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct way to carry wheelchair bound person downstairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few years ago (right after hurricane Wilma), the power went out in our office building at the end of the day. Then I discovered that the elevator on emergency power was also out (Wilma got it). My coworkers pretty much gave me a choice: go down the stairs or spend the night.

I have an Invacare Action Arrow rear wheel drive power-chair. The anti-tip wheels and small rear drive wheels prevent use of the facing down the stairs method.

So, I went down the stairs backwards without tilting the chair in any direction. You have to remove your footrests first (before you break them off), and you need at least two strong people behind you - down the stairs from you. Using the chair's power you can control the rate of decent as long as someone keeps you from tipping over backwards.

After reaching the ground floor safe and sound with no damage to me or my chair, I swore I'd never do it again. If I had it to do over, I would have waited a few hours for power to be restored, and if it didn't come on, call 911. The fire department knows all kinds of good evacuation techniques.

However, if you have to evacuate a building in a power-chair, backing down the stairs worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by gurly2356 View Post
      I go up & down the same way..facing down.
      Hell yeah...All the time or just when your feeling a little dirty, lmao. JK...couldn't pass on that one.
      Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Comment

Good one! That's a good way of dealing with those anti-tip wheels.

Originally posted by khmorgan View Post
        A few years ago (right after hurricane Wilma), the power went out in our office building at the end of the day. Then I discovered that the elevator on emergency power was also out (Wilma got it). My coworkers pretty much gave me a choice: go down the stairs or spend the night.

I have an Invacare Action Arrow rear wheel drive power-chair. The anti-tip wheels and small rear drive wheels prevent use of the facing down the stairs method.

So, I went down the stairs backwards without tilting the chair in any direction. You have to remove your footrests first (before you break them off), and you need at least two strong people behind you - down the stairs from you. Using the chair's power you can control the rate of decent as long as someone keeps you from tipping over backwards.

After reaching the ground floor safe and sound with no damage to me or my chair, I swore I'd never do it again. If I had it to do over, I would have waited a few hours for power to be restored, and if it didn't come on, call 911. The fire department knows all kinds of good evacuation techniques.

However, if you have to evacuate a building in a power-chair, backing down the stairs worked for me.

Comment

Working...
        X