No announcement yet.

Care when Traveling?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Care when Traveling?

    I live in NY. I wanted to travel for a 9 day trip in May to Indiana. Anyone know if there is a network that provides nursing care? I mainly need help w/ my BP.

    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

  • #2
    Your best bet it to take your PCA with you. While you can certainly private pay through an agency to get bowel care done in a different area, you will usually have to pay for an RN or LVN (in many states aides from agencies are not allowed to do bowel care), which may require a minimum shift (often at least 4 hours each visit), and they may still not know how to do your bowel program, requiring you to teach each person who is assigned to your case. Some agencies will still require a physician's order (from a physician licensed in their state) for care like this. If is often less expensive to have a family member, friend or PCA accompany you and pay them a wage as well as pay for their lodging and travel expenses.

    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.