No announcement yet.

Holiday Bonuses for Caregivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi OJ. We give Sean's caregivers $100.00 each at Christmas. He only has two and even though one of them works more hours than the other, they are both extremely dependable and have been with us for almost the full 6 years since his accident.

I feel like they go above and beyond for us, and they both love Sean and look after him with a great amount of care.

Comment

OJ: I give gifts to my caregivers every year. The good ones get a little more and the not so good ones get less but both with a card listing what wonderful things they done for me (of course, it indirectly, depend on the length of the list, tells them why they are getting what they got. from $50 to $200) I've also started to make them something as well, painting, cook them dinner, take them out for dinner or coffee or give them a day off to show my appreciation. They like that a lot because you appreciate their effort by spending your effort to make them something or spend time to appreciate them.

Just a thought... good luck!
      "Always look at the bright side of life...."

Comment

Oj, I like the idea of the note detailing a few specific positive things about them, along with a bonus (ok, you still will have to determine the amount). For the ones that go that extra mile, it is always nice to know it was noticed.

And, if they are the type to be nosing around about what everyone else gets, the tardy nurse finds out you told someone else how much you appreciate how dependable she is; and the nurse who doesn;t do any more than she has to sees that you appreciate someone who always does a little more than she has to. Might pay off as well.
        T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

I can totally see why you want to treat them, their worsened morale will only affect you much more in the end. You really truley depend on yours & more of them so much more than the rest of us(well most). Still though, handing a dollar in a card is sounding pretty darned appropriate for mine right now. Good luck with whatever you come up with or better yet coming up with something.

Comment

An equal amount.

Comment

You certainly openned up a can of worms with this one. I think that as long as you are not breaking any rules, a small token of appreciation for all that they do for you is certainly, while not necessary, a very nice gesture. Whenever I do something like this, I always include a note. For some reason, at least with the people that I have dealt with, the note always seemed to mean more to them. Given the current economic times, that may not be as true, but whatever you want to give is up to you.
              CKF
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

i have always given them but this yr i told them plus they just started all of them
                that i just don/t have it this yr.

Comment

I always give my girls a little something to show appreciation. An easy and fair way of doing it is come up with a $ amount that you want to spend and allocate it according to the hours they've worked. Say you want to give $200 total and have 2 workers. If one works 60% of the time, give them $120 and the other $80. It's not either of the workers business what the other got, but this way if they find out, you have a good explanation as to why one got more then the other.
                  ~Ashley~

Comment

Originally posted by pash8605 View Post
                    I always give my girls a little something to show appreciation. An easy and fair way of doing it is come up with a $ amount that you want to spend and allocate it according to the hours they've worked. Say you want to give $200 total and have 2 workers. If one works 60% of the time, give them $120 and the other $80. It's not either of the workers business what the other got, but this way if they find out, you have a good explanation as to why one got more then the other.
                    Good idea!

Comment

We never have more than one caregiver at a time, but we basically gave up on giving out holiday bonuses because we pay a fair wage and for the most part, its an easy, pleasant job. No one has mentioned it to us, and I don't mention it to them. Chad used to give a small bonus when he had various live in caregivers, but we haven't live in caregiver, so I just pass on the whole matter.
                      Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                        You certainly openned up a can of worms with this one. I think that as long as you are not breaking any rules, a small token of appreciation for all that they do for you is certainly, while not necessary, a very nice gesture. Whenever I do something like this, I always include a note. For some reason, at least with the people that I have dealt with, the note always seemed to mean more to them. Given the current economic times, that may not be as true, but whatever you want to give is up to you.
                        CKF
                        How is it a "can of worms?"

Comment

OJ, I think it is very sensitive of you to give a gift that takes into consideration the loss of their bonuses. The note is a great idea, in fact I have a large file of notes from people I took care of, as far back as 25 years ago. As long as it's from your heart-that's what is most important. Deb

Comment

Thanks for the replies everybody. They were all helpful in deciding on an amount I think is fair given the circumstances of my caregiving situation over the past year. I have decided to give full and part-time, which is 5 people in total, all the same amount. And yes, I was planning to write each one a short letter thanking them individually for their efforts. If there are any hard feelings about everybody getting the same amount, they will just have to deal with it on their own I guess. I am hoping there won't be. The casual staff who fill in from time to time are a bit more problematic to figure out. I think I will get a book of movie tickets and put a couple in an card with a note and if any of them work with me over the next month, I will give them that. That way everybody will get something. My grandmother usually does some holiday baking for everybody (she lives to bake lol) and that was a big hit last year so I will see if she can do something up this year too. And hopefully everybody will be happy. Including me.

I don't know, I don't think its that I necessarily feel obligated to give out a holiday bonus as much as I want to do something nice for them during the holidays. Thinking back on my own work experience before I was injured, even the shittiest, lowest paying jobs I had gave out something extra at Christmas and it was always kind of nice. I also just want to thank them for all their help during the year in what can occasionally be a difficult job (did I just admit I can be difficult to deal with? That can't be true! lol).

Thanks again for the feedback.
                            Last edited by orangejello; 11-24-2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

it's not a big can of worms because you're not planning on giving big gifts. I agree with the emphasis on personalizing your message. You are a freaking brilliant writer. I'm sure you will be able to express your thanks. I'm almost in the same boat as you and I know how much these people mean to you.

Comment

That sounds fair to me OJ, it should work. And they really shouldn;t fuss over who gets what anyway. (Not to say that they won't .....).

(btw, I interpreted the can of worms comment that there was a surprisingly lot of discussion over a simple question? Nothing about what you were starting by giving a christmas bonus)

I suppose it would be tacky to have your PCA's make cookies, so that you could give them out. LOL.
                                T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Working...
                                X