It All Adds Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It All Adds Up!

I just couldn't understand how this new pressure sore Bill has got so deep so fast .... well I know now. He has osteo in his sitting bones and my guess is its been hiding there all along .. incubating ... when Bill got that shear (on the same spot his flap was done) ... coincidently .... or are there no coincidences .. and then voila next thing I know I'm picking and picking out slough like its wet tissue paper ... I should have realized ..... what's up down there???? it's coming from the inside out.

Anyway to make a long story short .... the AD like symtoms he's been having for over a month now, low grade temp, no appetitie on and off and general malaise were probably all signs (chalky tasting mouth is still a mystery) and of course ..... we missed it ... again ..... was it the flu?? was it depression?? he had other sores that were still healing .. was it them??? agghhh ...... it could drive you drive you crazy sorting it out and then finally when the pieces all come together it's so easy to see in hindsight !!

Anyhoo just wanted to vent and share cause what else is there to do ..... yet again .... at least now it explains why the super duper mattress we bought wasn't doing it's job ..... it probably was but nothing ... nothing is going to matter if you're dealing with osteo ..... TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN ...... it can't be overstated!!

Obieone
    ETA - for newbies and anyone else who may be interested -
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/osteomyelitis/DS00759
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv...d.section.1645
    Last edited by Obieone; 01-12-2009, 04:56 PM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

What a bummer. At least now you know what the root problem is.
    - Richard

Comment

I can hear your justified frustration Obie. Glad that at the very least the cause is now known.

Comment

Awwwwwwwwwwwww man, that just sucks.
        Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

sorry to hear that.......yuk

Comment

Originally posted by rfbdorf View Post
            What a bummer.
            LOL

Sorry to hear this Obie, but now you know what is causing it, maybe it will speed things along.

I just had a scare with a very minor sore, that and reading posts like this make me realize I was getting a bit blase about things.
            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by rfbdorf View Post
              What a bummer.
              Ah me ... I'm a little slow ..... just clued in to that little play on words It feels good to laugh !! Thanks for the kind words everyone!!

Obieone
              ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
              Jane Siberry

Comment

oh Obie...I'm so sorry...sending some healing hugs you're way..

Comment

That sucks Osteo is hard to get rid of. I had spot on the corner of my foot that would heal, get bad, heal, etc. etc. then when I had an x-ray on it, came up with osteo. I did six weeks of IV antibiotics and then another month of oral but that still did not clean it out. I had to have a small surgery to cut that piece of bone out. I can't imagine what they would have to do to take the piece of bone out of the hip.

Good luck. I hope it gets better
                  C4 incomplete since 1985

Comment

what can be done for it then? now that it is in the bone?

Comment

yes, my brother in law had to have his butt bones shaved off. they eventually healed with flaps. that was in the mid80's. are their no new ways to treat this? I cant recall what antibiotics he used, he had this crazy bed of sand. the sand stayed heated. he stayed in rehab, because his floors would not support the thing. I hope that you can get to healing now that you know more what is causing it. please keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
                        yes, my brother in law had to have his butt bones shaved off. they eventually healed with flaps. that was in the mid80's. are their no new ways to treat this? I cant recall what antibiotics he used, he had this crazy bed of sand. the sand stayed heated. he stayed in rehab, because his floors would not support the thing. I hope that you can get to healing now that you know more what is causing it. please keep us posted.
                        I was on 2 different IV antibiotics, don't remember either. Bed of sand, it's called a Clinitron and that's what I used when I had my flap surgery on my sacrum. Bed stays real warm. Osteo is a hard booger to clean with antibiotics.
                        C4 incomplete since 1985

Comment

Wife went through an 8 week IV treatment of vancomycin to treat her osteo. She ended up getting C-Diff at the end which we found out is common when you are being treated with any heavy antibiotic for a long time. Found out AFTER that she should have been taking something to help regulate the gut flora that could have prevented that 2 week C-Diff episode (terrible time)

Comment

Hi Obie...

Im so sorry to hear this... Don has been battling his first pressure sore... but we are winning this one so far. Its scary. My thoughts are with you...

Sieg

Comment

I just saw this thread. Damn Obie sorry to hear about yet another sore and setback I hope Bill is able to heal up relatively soon. I hope you are doing okay as well.

Originally posted by Obieone View Post
                              Anyway to make a long story short .... the AD like symtoms he's been having for over a month now, low grade temp, no appetitie on and off and general malaise were probably all signs (chalky tasting mouth is still a mystery) and of course ..... we missed it ... again ..... was it the flu?? was it depression?? he had other sores that were still healing .. was it them??? agghhh ...... it could drive you drive you crazy sorting it out and then finally when the pieces all come together it's so easy to see in hindsight !!

Obieone
                              I understand some of your frustration. I have chronic osteo in my ankle, something that wasn't clear until it flared up again when it looked like I might be finally starting to heal the area where I had flap surgery. And undid the progress I had been making. It is absolutely devastating when you think you have finally caught a break, only to get caught by something you didn't see coming. As for missing what now seem like such obvious signs, please don't beat your self up. Hindsight is always 20/20. I know that doesn't help for me to say that. But like you say, it's often like a big puzzle and sorting through the pieces isn't always that easy.

Take care.

Comment

Working...
                              X