Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whose car should an aide drive to go shopping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whose car should an aide drive to go shopping?

One of my aides just takes my car -- without even asking -- to go shopping. Another says it's an expected part of her job that she uses hers. Am I right to assert that to the first one? I probably wouldn't make her stop, but I'd like to know if using my car really should be her expectation or not.

Don't you have a written employment agreement/contract with your PCAs? We do, and it is spelled out that they can only drive our car with specific permission, and to date, only one of the 4 has that permission. The others drive their own car (having a car is a condition of employment for us) and we reimburse for both milage and of course the purchase if they are driving for errands for us (but not to/from work).

This can be an insurance issue as well. While most insurance will cover drivers that you give permission to drive your vehicle, this can be an area of grayness and contention, and of course without permission, it would not cover them or perhaps even your vehicle.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      One of my aides just takes my car -- without even asking -- to go shopping.
      Nobody has the right to take your car without your permission, let alone one of your employees. The nurse is right to bring up the insurance thing, too. With some companies you have to actually list with the insurer the names of people authorized to drive your vehicle. Anybody not on your list is not covered by your insurance.

The financial aspect is important, but my first point is the really big deal to me. Hel, my husband doesn't drive my car without my permission. Nobody who worked for me would work for me the day after they "borrowed" my car without asking.

C.

Comment

x2 on what TR said.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          One of my aides just takes my car -- without even asking -- to go shopping. Another says it's an expected part of her job that she uses hers. Am I right to assert that to the first one? I probably wouldn't make her stop, but I'd like to know if using my car really should be her expectation or not.
          Its up to you but if she is taking it when she knows you did not say she can't look out she maybe helping herself to other things too. Don't be a victum.

Comment

My van is modified for me. I used to let my son drive it on occasion. Arrgghhh, yes, I'm Betheny and I'm an idiot. When he wrecked it, I couldn't get a rental. That van is the only vehicle w/ a left foot accelerator on the planet, apparently.

So, I'd cut a bitch. NOBODY takes my wheels. If I wreck it, it's bad enough. If somebody else does, it adds insult to injury.
            Blog:
            Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Compensating gas would be alot cheaper than a law suit.
              Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Comment

nope. peeps have to have their own car. did you see her take it? or you just look out and it was gone. shes lucky you didnt call the cops.

Comment

If I don't go with I will let my attendant take my van, it's easier than reimbursing for miles.
                  Dave
                  C5/C6 complete
                  http://www.davegrotzinger.com
                  http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Comment

A car is a condition of employment. No wheels=No job. I do compensate for mileage when used for something I need. I agree it's bad enough if I wreck it! My wife doesn't want hand controls in her car, why? Cuz it's her car! No problem
                    Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
                    "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"

Comment

We put our PCA on our insurance, solves the issue. I don't think its fair to ask a PCA to drive their own car when doing business for us. But they do have to have a clean driving record and their own insurance to be able to be put on ours (this is our rule).
                      Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

We have 4 PCAs. Only one is allowed to drive the van (she lives in) and she is on the insurance policy, and she only drives it when transporting my mother (who cannot drive). Otherwise she uses her own car and does our errands at the same time she is out in her car anyway.

(KLD)
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by zillazangel View Post
                          I don't think its fair to ask a PCA to drive their own car when doing business for us.
                          Why not? If you had a housekeeper, personal assistant or secretary would you think it "unfair" to ask them to use their own car to, say, do grocery shopping or run to the post office?

And I still say that the important issue in this discussion is the fact that the OP's attendant is taking their car WITHOUT permission. Whether permission should be given is beside the point.

C.

Comment

I agree that taking it without consent is completely unacceptable. But, on your other point, no, I would not ask anyone to drive their own vehicle for my business purposes, I would give them my car to do so. It is not specific to being a PCA, I don't know why you would have thought otherwise.
                            Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

It is the same here. The PA is using my car, the rules are like that. Or I have to give them gas money, or a bus ticket or money for taxi. My PA doesn't have a license so I don't have that problem. Only one of them has had lisence, I don't care, she walk and I wheel to the town.
                              TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Working...
                              X