No announcement yet.

Problems with Bowel Program Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's not written Magic Bullets on the box, it's not. Your pharmacist probably doesn't know that different bases are used and he will tell you they are the same because they contain the same active ingredient. Unfortunately, they are not the same since the magic bullets are using a water soluble base making them act faster and more efficiently.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

Both the Magic Bullet and all other brands of bisacodyl suppository have 10 mg. of bisacodyl in them. The difference, which is ONLY available in the Magic Bullet is they are much more soluble (they melt more quickly and more completely) and this makes more drug available. This is called bioavailability. I find the if you run out of the Magic Bullet and must substitute, that two regular bisacodyl suppositories is the best substitute, but they still will most likely not work as quickly (although they are much cheaper). Not everyone needs the extra strength, and some get cramping, but if you need it, the Magic Bullet is a good option.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Not to be picky here but in pharmacology "bioavailability" refers to the fraction of the drug entering systemic circulation which is not the case here since the desired action is local and very little reaches systemic circulation. It would be more appropriate to talk about faster liberation and greater dispersion of the active ingredient (bisacodyl).
        Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

Have you and your husband considered any alternatives such as a colostomy for bowel care?

Comment

Originally posted by Cris View Post
            Never new anyone to "use two generic suppositories (10mg Bisacodyl) ."

Know people who have cut them in half but never 2 at a time
            I use 2

Comment

Originally posted by mimin View Post
              I use 2
              I used to and felt very iffy for the rest of the day almost to the point of staying at home.

Now I use one and while it takes a little longer I don't get those Oh! My God! feelings afterwards.

Comment

The best place I have found is the Medical Supply Group. They are manufactured by Concepts In Confidence and are only $39.00 for a box of 100. Shipping is free if your order is over $50. I have ordered from them for years and they are very reliable.

http://www.medicalsupplygroup.com/ME...0/product.aspx

Comment

I usually use ducolax which is taken orally. I take it at night because it takes longer to work but it really works

Comment

Maybe part of the problem is his diet? Does he eat a balanced diet with lots of greens/veggies/salad? If you're not eating properly you can sit there all day for all you want. I do my rountines at 6am... suppository then, wait 25-30min, get up on the can... sit for 30 min and let what happens happen, then my attendant does touches every 15 min until empty/clean... usually by 8:15am I'm done and heading to the shower... but I'm sure to eat balanced diets... I take 6 milk of mag tablets & 1 10m bisacodyl the night before around 7pm... drink about 500ml of water right away, and 1 can of pop an hour later... use a standard 10mg dulcolax suppository in the morning.. stick to that regime religiously and 99% of the time things work fine

Comment

SoCalGal...check out this info from Magee Rehab. It gives a good, easy to understand explanation of best practices for bowel routines. http://www.spinalcordcenter.org/manual/
                      If your fiance is doing his bowel routine in the AM, it might be a good idea to suggest him taking some Dulcolax orally, like 2 tabs, at bedtime. Have things been going any better? I do my fiance's bowel routine and he is C5-6 and was injured about 11 years ago. So anytime you want to PM me and vent about your bowel routine frustrations I'm there for you! It's just not something you can really talk to your girlfriends about over a martini or something.....

Comment

Working...
                      X