Let's Get Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Get Together

Can you imagine anything more difficult? Getting together a group of caregivers from across the country, for a weekend? Say a central location like Chicago for a long weekend. An unbeleivable opportunity to network,learn,share and care. Hook up with the famous rehab center in Chicago, couldn't we teach them a few things? Only one small problem, hmmmmmmmmmm. Well, I guess we could bring our significant others along, only then we would be tooo busy with other things and well gosh, I give up already, any ideas out there? Like I said in the beginning, could it be more difficult? Maybe Oprah could help!

[This message was edited by KDK on 01-25-03 at 22:46.]
    Kath

KDK, I think that's a fantastic idea! My first suggestion before we set a place, is to find out who's 'in', and find a central place for that group.

Comment

gathering

I'm there. Seriously, I'd make this happen, and I think Chicago is lovely in the late spring . . .

Comment

Sounds great!! Just let me know when.
        Mom to Heather, age 16, T-12, 8 years post & Michael, age 19.

Comment

wow!!!

that's a great idea!!!

I'm in.

krajaxa [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
          http://www.tickercentral.com/view/2qot/2.png

http://www.geocities.com/krajaxa/fair05copy.jpg

Comment

Well, what have I started? Guess we need a travel agent...Ha! Anyone know how to start a poll that would indicate the best month and location for all of us. Then there's budget and itinerary. Any volunteers? Kathy
            Kath

Comment

Count me in!

Comment

I'll keep a tally on locations and dates, as well as gathering ino; if everyone who's 'in' could email me with their address/phone, and best dates, I'll start a list. Also, what budget concerns everyone has. Also (this is my 2nd edit!) - how mobile you are; i.e., can you do a weekend away - or could you do daytimes away if we locate near you?)

marmalady@worldnet.att.net

I think we should have a cutoff date on deciding where/when this fiesta is happening (of course, anyone who wants to jump on board after that is absolutely welcome, but they'll not have a say in where/when). Suggestions?

Would someone like to take on travel agent and itinerary duties?

A heads up, and just a thought, but the National Family Caregivers Association hosts workshops throughout the country. I know their next one is in Orlando in March. I'd like to see this and other caregiver organizations devote more time to SCI (and other, i.e. cerebral palsy, etc.) caregivers, as most of their focus is on elder care. Maybe we could plan a time/location around one of their workshops? Their website is

222.nfcacares.org

Or contact John Paul Marosy, project director at 508-854-0431.

WooHoo! This is awesome!

Comment

This is a great idea!! You all need this...I wish I was a fly on the wall at that shin-dig!!!

Sisterhood is good...we all need that!

I hope you have a lot of interest!

Mary

...and she lived happily ever after...
                  1FineSpineRN

Comment

Oh My Gosh!! Would that be great!! I live in Illinois about 90 miles from Chicago. Rehab Institute of Chicago is where Chad rehabbed! They loved him and I still have close contacts there. My daughter and I had a studio apartment thru a friend at Northwestern we stayed in off n on those 3 months, but we have stayed at a hotel only couple blocks away that gives a great discount if they know you are associated with RIC or Northwestern. I would be happy to help put this together if you choose Chicago. Linda- mazey@sainet.net

Comment

Hi Marmalady,
                      If I wasn't so busy trying to restart my career this is the sort of event I would have enjoyed organizing. Thank you for jumping in and picking up where I left off. I truly thought this would be virtually impossible to pull off; however, we are dealing with a very resilient group of people who are accustomed to achieving the impossible. I should have known. As we have all realized we can take this in several directions, depending upon the interest level. We could create a simple gathering with no agenda, simply a meeting of the minds for a couple days, caregivers only, anyplace will do. Or we can go to Orlando, explore the convention aspect. We could also try to hook up with an SCI facility. One other thought was to try to meet at Rutgers, perhaps meet with Dr. Young at some point in our 'get together'. Any other thoughts? Kathy
                      Kath

Comment

Let's keep it simple . . .

For the past 10 years or so, a group of friends and I have rented a vacation-type house during the offseason for one weekend a year. We hang out, eat chocolate, drink wine, watch movies and talk, talk, talk. Sometimes we pull it together to go out to dinner . . . sometimes we shop a little.

We call ourselves Moms Gone Bad, because we got started when all of us had toddlers who went into separation anxiety fits whenever we left them. Could this be the start of a splinter group called Caregivers Gone Bad?

Just my wish, based on my personal history, but I'd really most enjoy some downtime with you all . . . not a conference, no agenda except to relax and get acquainted. You know things I need to learn!

Comment

Kate, I couldn't agree more. I'll go along with whatever the majority chooses, but my personal preference would be more along the lines of what you're describing.

Comment

Simple sounds great to me!
                            Kath

Comment

I was thinking also more on the 'kick it back and let it out' route, too, but just threw the Orlando gig out there to see what y'all thought. I've heard from several of you, and so far, it's looking like the Midwest and early spring are the frontrunners! Keep 'em coming!

And, you know, you don't need to be a caregiver 24/7; and we're not going to get into the 'para versus quad' who needs more care,thing, here. This is for all of us caregivers - Russ, that includes you!!!, if you can make it!

Comment

Working...
                              X