No announcement yet.

Kate's On Line Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hoping Cheesecake and family were able to enjoy some of the holiday festivities? Jim and I had a mellow, wonderful day to ourselves. Slept late, traditional Christmas breakfast( well, brunch)and opening presents at the tree. Our kitty is so funny, I think she loves the unwrapping and piles of tissue paper and ribbons the best. By the end of it she is festooned with ribbons and buried under a pile of wrapping paper, not the usual nonchalance on display! Funnily enough Jim and I had both gotten each other brown turtlenecks: great minds...?
    Our party on the 23rd was great fun and has now become known as the 1st annual --- holiday party and is expected to be done every year! Maybe I shouldn't have fed them so much? About 30 came and so it flowed throughout the house, I had put seats in several different areas and just put the food and drinks out buffet style. There were several friends that we went to school with so many years ago, good god we're gettin' older! Do you remember me saying that I wanted to get rid of some of our wine stock? Well, somehow we now have twice as much as before! So now we are planning on another party in February and will either use up the excess or open a wine bar. Jim had so many lipstick prints on his cheeks it looked like he was feverish, poor guy,the mistletoe was definitely working. We got favorable response on our house remodel and that was nice to hear. I did take pictures and hope they turned out. Now I am anxious to take down all the decorations and de-clutter, the rooms always seem so much bigger after December. We are now resting up for the New Year's parties, people are actually building ramps to get us in now! Deb

Comment

Okay, it's time for the journal to get with the program and into the new year!!!

Hope everyone has a healthy, peaceful, productive year!!!!

Comment

Ami, this is a bit overdue, but somewhere along the way you mentioned that you like my new avatar. Thanks! I like to call it "two women squished together in front of a webcam".

Hoping the New Year brings peace of mind to one and all. I think if you have that, everything else falls into place.

Today is our anniversary. Twelve years together - never would have thought someone could put up with me that long.
        Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
        - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Kendell
          Hoping the New Year brings peace of mind to one and all. I think if you have that, everything else falls into place.

Today is our anniversary. Twelve years together - never would have thought someone could put up with me that long.
          Kendall, I think your avatar's great - two strong women acting just a little 'goofy'!

Peace of mind back at ya - I know you've had a tough time. And - happy 12th - I know how you feel - hubbie and I had our 17th last October, and just shook our heads!

Comment

way to short

Comment

Originally posted by lilsister
              way to short

Ummm - you okay?

Comment

Oops, I was trying to edit one of my posts, no biggie. We are doing well, just awaiting the Surehands lift. Evidently they sent it without the wall attachments! But now the room is organized and ready to receive it anyway. We got our new front door in the entry and it looks gorgeous, may even have to call it the foyer now. We are thinking of paint colors, but with the cold wave coming on it will be a leisurely decision. It's so nice to have sunlight come through.

Comment

Martha?

Anyone heard from her with those awful storms?

Comment

Gmta

She hasn't been online since Wednesday and then she was logging on and off. I just called both her home and cell and left messages. I asked her to call me if possible to let me know if she is ok. I think she lives in one of the counties that was hit.

I will post when I hear something.
                    Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Alive & Well

Thanks for the concern! I didn't realize I still get an e-mail when someone posts to this thread -- kewl!

Actually I'm in Texas and didn't even know about the storms until a friend from PA got me on my cell early this morning. Spoke with hubby and the power had just come back on and he managed to sleep through the storm (which is no minor fete with our 5 dogs laying on top of him since they're all afraid of storms!). Apparently immediately north of us they had 200 mph winds, etc and the storm cut quite a swath but we got lucky as did mother-in-law who lives about 12 miles north of us. I guess it went between her and us.

CC, didn't get your call on the cell but it's been trying to die and the battery is very short lived any more. As to the logging on and off, I'm at my niece's and she has the world's worst dial-up internet company. Can't stay on line but a few minutes and then it kicks you again. Thank heavens for high speed internet service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll never complain about comcast again.

How's everyone doing these days? Not much activity on here. Everyone ok?

Comment

Hey, Martha - SO glad to hear you're okay and the fort's still standing! My oldest son and his fiancee are getting ready to move to Winter Park - today! - and seeing those storms really freaked me out! Guess what I ran out and got them as a moving present? A NOAA weather radio! And made them promise to plug it in as soon as they get there, lol!!

Comment

I am smiling knowing that you are safe as is hubbie and the dogs. Glad to hear that everyone weathered the storm ok. I knew you were headed to TX in early Feb. glad to hear you missed the storms.

Comment

Kate and Bruce

Kate and I have known each other over the years, here on CareCure. She has shared many stires insights, laughter, sadness and joy. I know Kate. When we saw each other last year in Crystal City, there was mmediate recognition, a feeling of knowing someone forever. A hug that well closed the gap. How often do you pick up the phone and track down a stranger at a hospital....never really. Yet 2 years ago when Bruce's plate came loose, Martha and I tracked Bruce and Kate down, and talked as if we had known eah other..always.

Saturday I got Kate's book in the mail, tonight I picked it up and began reading. I know things now, small parts of their story, insights into their pain. I feel a sadness, sort of weird I guess. I wish I had been there on day 4 to hug and support, to try to answer questions. I wish I had been there for my friends.

Thanks for writing Kate, for filling in the pieces of your families story, for sharing the raw truth so honestly, with no sugar coating.

Damn I hate this SCI. Glad the mental picture I have of kate and Bruce is of them dancing at the rally.Tonight, I try hard to hold onto that, to shake away the vivid pictures in my mind, painted by the book. I feel a saddness, damn, damn damn.

Again, thanks Kate and Bruce, for sharing your intimate and darkest moments.

B~
                            Last edited by cheesecake; 26 Feb 2007, 1:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks Bernadette

Bruce and Heather went to Utah together last week and left me by myself in our house with our big old Golden Retriever and our 2 cats, Oreo and Sophie. Oreo has lived with our family for 15 years; a couple of weeks ago the poor sweetie got some kind of growth in the back of her throat that makes it hard for her to swallow.

We've always laughed at her for being such a fatty, but now we're glad in a way, because her fat has probably kept her alive for an extra week or so. She's not looking good . . . bony and dirty because she can't wash herself very well. She still purrs when you pet her, though, and doesn't seem to be in any pain or we'd have taken her to be put down.

So, all last week I would get up every morning and try to get her to sip a little watery gravy. I'd pet her and avoid looking at her dirty fur, and then go to work and hope all day that she was still breathing when I got home.

It was a terrible week for me.
                              Facing the slow death of a beloved old pet is just not something you should try to do by yourself--and neither is facing SCI.

That's kind of the point of the book. As Wise has said, SCI happens to families, not just to individuals. It happened to my family, and to yours, and to everybody else's around here. Sometimes I think about how different the last few years would have been without this site and people like yourself who have become a sort of extended family to us.

I think it would have been like me, wandering through the empty house, worried and dreading the next thing. Instead it's been like this morning, when even if your family can't actually do anything to help or fix things, at least you know you're not alone.

Comment

Too Quiet Here

Not sure where all the old timers have gone but it has gotten Soo quiet in here. I guess life changes, huh.
                                My oldest just graduated from middle school and was accepted at an all boys high school. Damn I can not believe he is growing up. The days of suction machines, g-tube feeds and metabolic crisis are gone. Now we are dealing with teen age moods, attitude, and well girls, heartache and rejection.
                                Never thought I would think the medical issues were easier to deal with, but hey, they were.
                                I am so proud of him, amazed at who he has become, what he has accomplished and where he is going in life. After his first trip to DC for the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act and his return for ESC and the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act, he has been bitten by the advocacy bug big time. He is finding his voice and detemined to make a difference.

With this thread as well as with my son, I ponder, where did time go................

Comment

Working...
                                X