Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilsister:

Martha, did they eat the moles?
    Deb, surprisingly they haven't brought me any mole-part gifts lately, so I don't know if they finally got them all or if the moles were smart enough to move. Heaven knows the dogs are still digging though! My newest "pet" is a 5' black racer snake that lives in the front flower bed and shares my garage! [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img]
    I'm told he's harmless unless I try to pick him up (yeah that's likely!) but will eat everything from frogs to lizards to small birds, etc. I hope he doesn't venture into the back yard as I think the dogs would find him fascinating. I am loving all the critters around here. This spring I had a pair of nesting red tail hawks in the front oak. They had two offspring and watching those majestic birds while they nested and then taught the young to fly was amazing! They still hang around but they don't seem to live in the nest any more. I'm so bird-illiterate that I don't know where they live when they abandon the nest? But my favorite thing here is the fireflies! There are millions at night. We didn't have those in Houston any more -- probably from the mosquito foggers.

Did I just repeat myself on all of that? For some reason it feels like I've typed it all before. Oh well, too lazy to go back and look, so if I have, my apologies!

Comment

• No repetition! Actually we do alot of nature watching here too. There is a cornfield behind us (waist high now) that the coyotes cross through occasionally and ground squirrels-which I had never seen before. I thought it was some kind of weasel! We watch birds alot and have enjoyed seeing so many goldfinches this spring. Yesterday we were at the lake and saw lots of hummingbirds.

My cat brought me a snake one day (for supper?) and I had to catch and take it out--they are fast! We had so much fun catching them when we were kids but it would be disconcerting to have them flash by in the house. Glad to hear about the mole dilemma, I'm betting the dogs' presence is key! Deb

Comment

• But my favorite thing here is the fireflies! There are millions at night.
        That's how it is at my place. I love them. Somehow standing in the pitch dark watching them, I feel like everything is going to be okay, somehow, someway, afterall. Of course, that may not be true, but for a moment I feel just really peaceful. They start to come out around 8:30 and by 9 they are in full force. Looking out through the woods there are so many that it looks like someone has literally hung white Christmas tree lights out there! The place I go where I can see them best is very dark and down a trail so I have to carry a flashlight to get there, which I then turn off. But, I have noticed that if I flash it some, it time with them, they will come closer to me! At first I thought, coincidence, but I can do it every time. I guess maybe they think I'm the Grand Pooba of fireflies! [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Watching the fireflies is my magic time of of the day. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."
        Maya Angelou
        "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

Comment

• Russ ... very nice looking lady you have there ... we don't buy our dog Shady toys for the same reason Martha .. although the thing she likes to chew best on the rare occasion is her back leg [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img] (not so often any more thank goodness) ... and fireflys yes we have fireflys ... I can completely relate to that magical feeling you describe Wm ... there is a creek near the cemetery that is thick with fireflys after dark .. right now that isn't until almost 11:00 p.m. ... god I love this time of year ..... its the most perfect "almost" Summer evening here on the prairies ... tommorow is the solstice ...

Obieone [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]
          ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
          Jane Siberry

Comment

• I don't remember having fireflies in Houston....but I remember catching them in Arkansas when visiting my cousins. We would catch them in a glass jar and then let release them in a few hours. But to us, they were called "lightning bugs"...we were such a group of hicks :&gt[img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Russ Byrd

Comment

• Hey Russ, don't feel bad. In Tyler, Texas when I was a kid they were called lightning bugs too! And they were the reason you saved jars! [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]

You mentioned Arkansas which made me think of another spectacle that I've only seen a few times. Julian's father had a horse farm outside of Fayetteville and there was a primitive log cabin from the 1820's on the property where we would "camp". The air was so clear there in the mountains and there were no city lights for miles so you could see the Milky Way. I know it will sound stupid to most, but that was the first time I'd honestly been anywhere that it was so vivid! What an amazing sight!

[This message was edited by martha on 06-21-05 at 09:40 AM.]

Comment

• Originally posted by russell:

I don't remember having fireflies in Houston....but I remember catching them in Arkansas when visiting my cousins. We would catch them in a glass jar and then let release them in a few hours. But to us, they were called "lightning bugs"...we were such a group of hicks :&gt[img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
                Okay, since Russ admitted it so will I! While I don't want to give my home state on the internet, I will say, that I live in one of the "lightening bug states"! [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Yes, we call them lightening bugs here too! Wasn't going to "go there", but didn't want Russ to be the only "hick"! (At least YOU can say "were a hick" Russ, I "still am a hick"! LOL!! [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

Maya Angelou

Comment

• I can completely relate to that magical feeling you describe Wm ... there is a creek near the cemetery that is thick with fireflys after dark .. right now that isn't until almost 11:00 p.m. ... god I love this time of year ..
                  I still believe in magic and always will! [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Maya Angelou

Comment

• Originally posted by WM:

I still believe in magic and always will! :
                    Here's a poem for you then:

The Ponds

Every year
                    the lilies
                    are so perfect
                    I can hardly believe

their lapped light crowding
                    the black
                    mid-summer ponds.
                    Nobody could count all of them---

the muskrats swimming
                    among the pads and the grasses
                    can reach out
                    their muscular arms and touch

only so many, they are that
                    rife and wild.
                    But what in this world
                    is perfect?

I bend closer and see
                    how this one is clearly lopsided--
                    and that one wears an orange blight--
                    and this one is a glossy cheek

half nibbled away--
                    and that one is a slumped purse
                    full of its own
                    unstoppable decay.

Still, what I want in my life
                    is to be willing
                    to be dazzled--
                    to cast aside the weight of facts

and maybe even
                    to float a little
                    above this difficult world.
                    I want to believe I am looking

into the white fire of a great mystery.
                    I want to believe the imperfections are nothing--
                    that the light is everything--that it is more
                    than the sum
                    of each flawed blossom rising and fading.
                    And I do.

Mary Oliver

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain

Comment

• ***Raises hand***

Lightnin' bugs. Central Kansas.

I always wondered why Houston didn't have them...

"...I mean the wheelchair would be a thing in the past
                      And us quads can talk about the past and laugh"-Professirx
                      http://unite2fightparalysis.org/
                      Blog:
                      Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

• Originally posted by Betheny:

***Raises hand***

Lightnin' bugs. Central Kansas.

I always wondered why Houston didn't have them...

"...I mean the wheelchair would be a thing in the past
                        And us quads can talk about the past and laugh"-Professirx
                        http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Beth, I have no scientific proof that it was the mosquito foggers that killed out the lightning bugs in Houston but that's the only thing that made sense to me. If anyone really knows, I'd be curious.

Comment

• I miss fireflies. [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I grew up in WV and it was favorite pasttime - playing among the flies. There were literally so many of them that we could see at night via the greenish glow.

Montana doesn't have them. Hubby didn't know what they were. We went to a star party back home and he was freaked out by the "glowing green things" until I told him what they were. He was facinated. LOL

Comment

• WM
                            Okay, since Russ admitted it so will I! While I don't want to give my home state on the internet, I will say, that I live in one of the "lightening bug states"! Yes, we call them lightening bugs here too! Wasn't going to "go there", but didn't want Russ to be the only "hick"! (At least YOU can say "were a hick" Russ, I "still am a hick"! LOL!! )

LOL...still a hick here as well...as my accent shows constantly.

Bethany and Martha, I asked my Grandmother and she says there were lightning bugs here in Houston, but she believes the mosquito trucks have killed them too. (Too bad they don't kill the mosquitos:&gt[img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

Russ Byrd

Comment

• Originally posted by russell:

LOL...still a hick here as well...as my accent shows constantly.
                              You wanna talk accent -- when I called the hospital waiting room to talk to Kate this afternoon, I couldn't make the lady that answered the phone understand I was saying "Kate"! I finally spelled it! And I thought I sounded so worldly! [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

• Originally posted by martha:

You wanna talk accent -- when I called the hospital waiting room to talk to Kate this afternoon, I couldn't make the lady that answered the phone understand I was saying "Kate"! I finally spelled it! And I thought I sounded so worldly! [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]
                                mine is horrible especially when i am tired or have talked to folks back home. Ted has me enterpret NASCAR commentary for him -- "what'd he say!?!?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X