Kate's On Line Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russell,

Do you have a photo you could post of you and Steve? I'd love to put a face to a name!

[img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Clipper,

the picture on the postings is me and my tennesee walking horse, Ol' Blue :&gt[img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] He is a sweet horse, and I also lost him back in 2001 to spinal myelitis. Now he is doing great again.
      I need to purchase a new digital camera or scan some existing pictures so I can include new pictures af me and Steve. I will try to take some pictures of me and steve soon to post though.

Russ Byrd

Comment

Hey all~

Just checking in to see what's going on with all my favorite caregivers! I'm actually thinking about starting my Christmas cards..this would be an amazing organizational feat for me.

Tuesday I'm driving to Brianna's and spending the night in order to take her to an early morning appointment at her pain clinic. She is getting the first of three epidural blocks for neuropathic pain in her legs. Wish her luck!! I would love to have this work...see her get off some of the meds. She's at the pain clinic because in WV, by law, you must go through a pain clinic to receive oxycontin! I sure hope she can eliminate that stuff in the near future too...before it's banned completely!

Hope everyone has recovered from Thanksgiving dinner...now, on to Christmas!!

Vicky

"Be kind...for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
        ~Philo of Alexandria

Comment

I need to correct something I posted a few days back to Clipper :&gt[img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]....I stated that I lost my horse, Blue to spinal myelitis. What I mean't to say was that I almostlost him. I am such a nut at times[img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Russ Byrd

Comment

Hey guys,

I havent posted in a while so I wanted to give an update about us. I started my new job (finally) about three months ago. I went to training at an airline. I am a flight attendant now. Lots of fun, but I am away a lot. Its hard to be gone at least three nights a week.

We are gonna try to go on a ski trip in January, which will be wonderful. We havent spent a good amount of time together in a while.

Anyways, I was just glad to read that things are going reasonably well here. I miss you guys and I will prolly be posting more often now that things are leveling out on the work front.

Thanks guys for being here. Just knowing you are here is so supportive and wonderful. Thanks again.

Scarlett

Comment

Well hello ..

Just thought maybe it was high time to pass the pipe .... or icecream ... pick your fancy! With the holidays behind us we've hunkered down at our house for the rest of the winter after a humungous snowfall and icy cold temps ... but of course this is the Canadian prairies afterall ....

Is everyone else reeling from the events in Southeast Asia ... we certainly are as we have friends who have children travelling in the area and some who had planned to travel there the day following the event ... do you suppose this was a lesson to remind us we are "not in control" ... of course most of us here already know that don't we [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img] ...

Bill still awaits news of his impending surgery ... and the rest of the family takes it one day at a time as we have in the past ... the for sale sign is in the yard ... but we've only had one family mildly interested ... maybe fate ... maybe we're going to hit the lottery ... never know ... actually in spite of the financial worries ..we endure .. somehow ... reasonably well!! Bill had a small sore in the middle of his back that we've managed to head off at the pass ... maybe we're getting good at this [img]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ... small victories!!

I hope you are all remembering to make time for yourselves and my wish for you and your families in 2005 is peace and good fortune... may the the light be with you everywhere you go ...

Obieone [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]
              ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
              Jane Siberry

Comment

To those of you with significant others I hope- you all find a way to spend a Valentine's Day that's meaningful and fun ... and yes romantic

Obieone
                P.S. Hope all is well with everyone! Spring is just around the corner!

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
                Jane Siberry

Comment

yesterday was bad and today is even worse...where is the romance? there is no time for such thing here, this marriage is just falling apart

Comment

Maja - are you a military family? Have you looked into resources available to you from the VA?

Your words below took me back to the first year or so after my son's accident. The first year or two are the worst; get through this, and I promise you, life will return.

Comment

Maja, Marm is right -- the first year is definitely the worst and you think you'll never get through it. There were honestly times when I couldn't decide whether to shoot him or myself! [img]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] The drastic changes in your life, the uncertainties, the fear and the incredibly increased demands on you from him, family, job, etc. leave you wondering if there will ever be anything approaching normalcy again. But at some point toward the end of the first year or beginning of the second, things start to slide into a routine, a pattern, a (generally) less stressful life and you might not even realize it at first. I think a lot depends upon your husband's attitude and willingness to work hard to gain every bit of independence he can.

Edited because I talk too damned much. [img]/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by martha on 02-15-05 at 02:42 PM.]

Comment

thans for being there, I just don't think that I can do this for the rest of my life it's too much and there is not much help out there

Comment

Maja, like everyone else has said, you have to hang in there. I remember saying those same exact words just a little over 2 years ago. Things do get better. I still have bad days when I wonder how I can do this for the rest of my life, but those days are few now. Our life is very different now then it used to be, but we are adjusting to it. We have much more happy days then bad ones. This place and the wonderful people in it helped me get through those beginning days when I was scared to death, they will help you too.

Comment

Sorry you're going through this Maja ... we do understand some of your pain. Can you share alittle more about what you're finding most difficult to cope with? I read back on some of your old posts and as I recall you really didn't have a very good rehab experience or home coming .... has that situation improved? I think I noticed you are a military family .... surely they have supports in place to assist you ... was your husbands injury work related?? Hope you don't mind all the questions and you don't have to reply if your uncomfortable with any of them ... but we can be more helpful I think if you share a little more .... As with any major problem if you tackle the myriad of issues that accompany sci in small bits they become more managable. That includes the emotional ones that affect you as a family .. we here at CC understand this injury didn't just happen to your spouse - it happened you all [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img] . Maybe if you can find someone you can talk to ie.a councellor - for yourself - that might be a stepping stone to helping you sort out the many other issues facing you!

Sci sucks ... period ... what we attempt to do at Caregiving is support one another the best way we know how ... CC hasn't been the whole answer for me personally but it certainly has made what was a very lonely and dark journey a little less so ...... I hope we can do the same for you! Stay strong ...

Obieone
                            P.S. I completely understand the isolation you described in another post Maja ... we live in a rural area ... a small town of about 800 souls ... we are closed in alot in the Winter because the weather can be.. well to put it delicately .... very nasty to say the least [img]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] ... there aren't alot of people with sci anywhere close to us! I get that desperate lonely feeling now and then myself ... wanna cut and run for the big city where I grew up [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img] ... I live - literally - one day at a time ... but I know I'm not alone - there are many facing the same circumstances (and much worse) .. because of what I read here .. I hope we can at least do that for you!

Jane Siberry

Comment

Maja, I can only echo what the others are saying: please let us help you. We know what you're up against.

Not long after Bruce got hurt, one of his brothers said to me, "Kate, you're a stand-up girl for sticking around through this."

I got sort of pissed.

I mean, there was an implicit judgment in that compliment, like if I had made a different decision, I would have been NOT "a stand-up girl".

I told him, "You know, it's incredibly hard. It's just impossible to describe how f*cking hard this is. And I would never, ever criticize someone who chose differently."

I think all of us spouse/significant others arrive at the moment when we have to look honestly at what this sci life is going to involve. We have to ask ourselves if we can find a way to make peace with the future, whatever choice we make about going or staying.

If I were injured, I would never want somebody to stay with me because they felt compelled to. I also wouldn't want somebody to stay with me because they would feel too guilty if they left.

I would want to know that they were in it because they freely chose to be there, just like before the injury.

I don't mean to say that you should go or stay, just that you're right. It's hard, hard, hard, and it's relentless, and it's not what you signed up for. I noticed that your post was on Valentine's Day, and you were wondering what happened to the romance . . . there have been lots of conversations on these forums about the need for husbands and wives, injured or not, to treat one another with respect and love.

You still have every right to expect that.

Comment

My wife went through the ringer during the first year. I was about 9 months in the hospital and she had the weight of the world on her shoulders. Fear of the future, thousands of questions, and no real answers. Books about the SCI condition did nothing but expose her to all the possible horrors that could happen to me. She cried a hell of a lot.

We are now 8 years post. Things have gotten much easier since then.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer
                                "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

Working...
                                X