Kate's On Line Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obieone:

P.S. I plan on being an eccentric old dolly ..... much like "Lady Marm" [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] !
    But Obie, I don't think "Lady Marm" is 50 yet! And I'm tired of being the oldest on the board so one of you had better hurry up and catch up with me! [img]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey, y'all! Our thread is going to have a birthday in a few weeks. Let's throw ourselves a party--meet for an online passing of whatever it is that each of us passes. We can play music, synchronized across the timezones, and celebrate, by God, because we deserve it.

Obie, jeez. When I look around our place and think of packing it up, I usually need to lie down for an hour just from sheer exhaustion. I'm sorry, kiddo. Your attitude amazes me, and I mean that.

Russell . . . I guess if you just HAVE to live in Texas, you might as well have a pool and fancy tile and a beautiful life. It's good to know you're both okay.

Martha, we are the twin birth mothers of this thread, and Jackie is the midwife. Proud company! If you get your bathroom in shape, I have some projects around here that could use your skills. Room and board is free as long as you show up with the proper mixture of sass, goodwill, and plumbing know-how. (Not kidding.)

Darthe, you're exactly right. It's not crazy to be sad when sadness is warranted--it's human. Get this: I had a shrink tell me about a year after Bruce got hurt that my daughter saw me as "not strong". The shrink had noticed that my kid was aware of the fact that I couldn't make Daddy well. The shrink's assessment of the situation was that I should work on my self-esteem so that the weakness I was projecting would lessen. My kid, however, had it right. I couldn't fix him, and she correctly felt that none of it was fair, fun, or right. And it made her sad, as it damn well should have. She didn't need a degree in psychotherapy to figure it out, either.

Chick, good God. We love to be brutally sassed. It helps us remember how to swear, and gives us an excuse to swear back. Now fuck off. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

So--who's up for the JournalKeepers birthday party?

Comment

50 is a beautiful rite of passage; it means you can officially say exactly what you mean, to anyone, and they'll say 'yes, ma'am'; it means you can wear purple - and red hats! - and be looked on with a little wisdom. I passed the mark more than a few years ago, and am finding a gentle rebirth in who I am. Still haven't given up the Clairol bottle tho, lol!

Comment

Kate, I'm definitely up for a party, if only a cyber one!

Marm, you had me fooled. I had you pegged for 40's. Or did I know that and early senility made me forget?

I got to go out like a big person last night and I had a ball! The mother of one of my colleagues in London, along with the mother's sister and their SO's, are in the Orlando area on vacation so I drove down to meet them for dinner. I absolutely love the british sense of humor and these people were so fun to be with. The only downside to meeting them was reminding me how young all of my colleagues at work are. Where did the time go? Anyway, I don't know any one here still so getting to be with real live human types was a treat. I'm still trying to figure out how to meet people since I work at home. So far trying to strike up a conversation with a total stranger over the price of a head of lettuce just hasn't worked. [img]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img]

martha

Comment

Martha, Lol, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up!

Comment

Originally posted by Marmalady:

Martha, Lol, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up!
              When you figure it out, let me know and I may be a copycat cuz I'm seriously trying to figure that one out! Also trying to figure out how I got to this point without having a plan or direction. Time goes much much too fast in some ways.

martha

Comment

Martha said:
                Also trying to figure out how I got to this point without having a plan or direction.
                Me too Martha .... hey you guys we're just like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman .... " guess I'm just a fly by the seat of my pants kinda girl ... yup that's me alright .. uhuh ..." [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Obieone [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]
                P.S. How's the canine crew adapting to the move Martha?? Probably go through alot of sun block huh [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ??
                ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
                Jane Siberry

Comment

Obie, and THAT is where any similarity between me and Julie Roberts ends unfortunately.

The dogs LOVE it here! They have about 1 acre fenced to run in though Mac (the golden retriever) just climbs the fence to go exploring on his own. My only fear there is the alligator in the lake across the road. They even stay outside and play in the rain (no problem since they can come in and dry off and get the sand off on my bed - ugh). And no more dog fights among the 6. It's been a positive move for all of us!

martha

Comment

Martha, I got you beat in the age department also! Your bathroom sounds neat, beadboard is fun to work with isn't it? I put it on my kitchen island, that wasn't enough to justify a nailgun, so then the beadboard went up to the ceiling in the breakfast room, the porch and who knows where next!

Obie, sorry to hear of your stress, but sounds like you have a handle on it. Jim and I are moving also, back to Wisconsin, so look out, I'm getting closer! It has actually been good to get rid of all the extra junk I seem to have accumulated. Selling has gone good at my antique booth, charities coffers are overflowing and the poor trashman, Chris is bearing up. Can you believe how much we all collect? I'm getting less sentimental by the minute.

Jackie, is it about time for the 2nd annual Christmas-shopping trip? Since my list has dwindled, more goodies for me! I am in the process of finally selling all the jewelry passed down from my mother, she had a TON of old silver/turquoise type stuff that she got at garage sales. It's all marked and signed so it should fetch us some moving money. She had such a fascination for jewelry but to her chagrin I have never have. Have an appointment at an estate-jewelry place and will find out what's what.

Where is Shabu, 'haven't' heard her in a long time.

Can't believe Thanksgiving is next week! Some of Jim and I's friends will be coming to stay and I asked them to bring plenty of whine,er, wine. I'll never forget the dinner 5 years ago, my friend came and we had so much fun in the kitchen, talking, cooking and having shots of tequila in honor of Tom the turkey- we even washed out hs cavities with tequila! What a hoot, but it was very good that year.........

Deb

Comment

Deb, you made me laugh. I took a lot of my jewelry to an estate jeweler Monday on consignment. Hopefully someone will get some neat Christmas gifts and I'll get some neat $$. If that works, I'll take another batch for Valentine's Day! Also agree about the sentimentality of things when it comes time to move. It was impossible to decide what to part with the first few days, then a little easier, and by the time we loaded the truck I was tossing things like I'd never spent good money on them. I hope your move is as positive for you as mine has been for me!

I'm envious of you and Marm being "so close". Would love to make one of those shopping trips with y'all.

martha

p.s. already decided to put the beadboard up in other areas. I've always loved that look. I think it's addictive.

Comment

Martha, how did you know how to price the jewelry? They want to just buy it from me in one large batch. They told me that I needed to name the price but I don't have a clue.

Do you have any cool shopping in your area? We could always go south. Jim, poor guy, has to come with me, but he's easygoing about these important expeditions, as long as a marguarita is before dinner. We could do a hotel/motel anywhere, we aren't fussy. and I could bring tools!

Comment

Deb I had NO idea how to price anything and that's one reason I went to this jewelry store in a upscale area that does consignments. I made him quote the price and then I either agreed to it or not. He adds his fee (only 25% which surprised me) on top of what he quoted me. Then it either sells or we talk about pricing again. But the downside is that I don't get any $$ until something sells. I could have used the money now actually. I did have appraisals from 1983 (yeow that's old) and figured if I could get half of that I'd be pretty happy. He quoted me fairly close to 50% without knowing the appraisal I had. Now I just hope this stuff sells. Julian hated shopping so he would just go to a jewelry store and buy something. Most of what I have I never wore at all. I'm one of those weirdos that usually doesn't wear jewelry and when I do, I prefer "fun" stuff and not what I call formal jewelry.

And unfortunately there is NO decent shopping anywhere around here. [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img] On the other hand, I guess that's ok since I don't have any money to spend anyway. [img]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

martha

Comment

Well, Martha, since there's no shopping there, you'll just have to drive to Charleston, where there's TONS, and then we both hop in the car and go to Deb's!!! Seriously think about it!

Comment

I am so impressed and wish I had your skills. I am waiting until I can afford a contractor to put beadboard around my kitchen bar and island and in hubbies bath, oh yeah and the laundry room.
                              Kath

Comment

Martha, I envy you living in Florida...I have never visited, but plan to someday. I know Steve had been to several cities there before his accident while on business trips.

I wanted to find a way to send out holiday cards to all the caregivers on this thread but I do not want people to post their addresses publicly. I think I will just give my e-mail address here and anyone who is comfortable with the idea can send me their address. rbyrd2531@aol.co
                                I promise that you will not wake up one morning to find Steve bundled up on your porch with a note attached. ( I think I read too many Harry Potter books [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img])

When I think back on the past several years, I can see how much talking with all of you has helped us get through the hard times.

Oh, I could just use e-cards if people do not want to give out their home address.

Russ Byrd

Comment

Working...
                                X