No announcement yet.

Kate's On Line Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL, Russ - other than the screams from the kitchen,how was the turducken? I"ve seen them made with turkey, duck, chicken, pheasant, quail, and partridge - talk about work!

Steve is having pump problems? Did I miss that? Hope everything is okay!

Kathleen - I feel truly evil for having thoughts like maybe she won't be accepted! [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img] Oh well, as Miss Scarlett said, 'Tomorrow is another day'!

Comment

One thing that has worked really well for us at our shop is to encourage them, but tell them they have to help us find a replacement! It seems to work well, because they always find someone as responsible, personable and same work ethics as themselves.

Comment

Hey...Happy Anniversary to US!!

Exactly one year ago today Martha decided that she liked Kate's idea of an online journal...and this thread was born. We've been coming here for an entire year...some of us posting, venting, opening our hearts, offering wisdom, comfort and humor; some of us reading, or "lurking" for whatever personal reason. Yet we're all in this together. There is such a strong bond between all of us: mothers, fathers, wives, husbands, sisters, partners, injured, able-bodied---the list is endless!

I just want to acknowledge how much I value each and every one of you. Thank you, ALL of you, for the insight, hope, and inspiration you have all given me this past year.

Here's to another amazing year of Online Journal contributions!

Vicky

"Be kind...for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
        ~Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Amazing - it's become such a part of my day I guess I've assumed it's always been there! Thanks, Vicky, for the reminder! And I echo each and every one of your thoughts!

I'm off to visit lilsis tomorrow morning - woohoo! Haven't had a weekend off in 2 1/2 years, and am SO ready for it - plus I get to drive through 'my' Smokey Mountains - how cool is that?! I know we'll have a ball - probably cook or talk about cooking most of the weekend! Wish more of you could come also - we DO have to get that weekend together for all of us - SOON!

PS - I wanna see some cookie recipes - here!:

Recipe Posts

Comment

My turn to b.... (complain)I am actually mortified at my most recent behavior. My throat hurts from screaming...gives you an idea. I worked late, returned home knowing I still had a mess from recent vacation, think laundry and paperwork. Cleaning lady coming tomorrow, so it is pick up time. Son is out, husband in bed and dogs on the loose and it is 7:00 p.m. Enter the laundry/dogs room and Jack discovered Kobe's doggie diapers and ripped disposables to shreds, major mess. Hubby had bowel accident, laundry and odor, oh my. Son left gel pen in pocket and dryer and clothes are stained from pen. I am playing annoying phone tag with Mom, son walks in door and hubby wants dinner...explosion. Happy anniversary everyone while I have an embarrasing meltdown.
            Kath

Comment

Here's what I think is funny--when I wrote that idea about having an online journal, I'd never heard of the word, BLOG. People, what we have going here is a blog! For those of you who are like I was a year ago, "blog" is short for "weblog", which is another name for an online journal.

This is the Caregivers Blog, not Kate's Online Journal. And I love it.

Comment

Sheez, kdk, don't you know you're suppossed to spread all that joy throughout the season, not just in one evening? Poor thing! Where are our fairygodmothers when we need them? Debra

Comment

No fairy godmother here, but God made sisters. What is it, one hour later? and all is much better. I promise you that I do not lose it often, but my sister happened to call in the midst of my explosion. As I had was throwing laundry into my kitchen, my son walked in, next I threw the phone (ancient and unfortunately indestructible), look out cause everything was vulnerable. My son was busy trying to remove the ink from dryer drum and in walks the angel of speed cleaning, my beautiful, intuitive sister. She made my house presentable in one hour and now I am off to plead insanity to family and beg forgiveness. I love my sister, thank you God for sisters!
                  Kath

Comment

Well, Hubbie was sick last week, and now I've got it - nasty cold, but don't think it's the dreaded flu! We're just trying to keep Matt from catching it - knock on wood, he hasn't had a cold or flu since pre-accident and I want to keep it that way!

Just got our tree put up, and Pippin is systematically trying to take it down ornament by ornament! Time to learn the 'punt the kittie' game, I guess - [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. I keep telling myself they're only this little and cute for a short while, pretty soon he'll turn into a boring old adult cat.

I'm so late getting started with cookie baking, I'm not sure if I'll even get it off the ground this year -may have to go cookieless! [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img]

We have a lot to be grateful for this Christmas season, and I'd like to take a moment to remember those of us who may be struggling a bit more than we are at this moment. To all of you having hard times, I wish just a little light from the holidays to surround you with some peace and smiles.

Love to all!

Comment

Originally posted by Sci Mom:

_Hey...Happy Anniversary to US!!_

Exactly one year ago today Martha decided that she liked Kate's idea of an online journal...and this thread was born. We've been coming here for an entire year...some of us posting, venting, opening our hearts, offering wisdom, comfort and humor; some of us reading, or "lurking" for whatever personal reason. Yet we're all in this together. There is such a strong bond between all of us: mothers, fathers, wives, husbands, sisters, partners, injured, able-bodied---the list is endless!

I just want to acknowledge how much I value each and every one of you. Thank you, ALL of you, for the insight, hope, and inspiration you have all given me this past year.

Here's to another amazing year of Online Journal contributions!

Vicky
                      For some reason I havent visited this place before. And I am as slight bit confused. Who is Martha. Who writes in the journal. I see others give comments. Is it strictly ones journal her life and others send in comments?

Comment

Hi, Jesse's Mom!

It's everybody's journal . . . kind of a free-for-all exchange of whatever's going on with whoever wants to join the conversation.

A lot of us have become friends through this thread. For me, coming here is a little like running into my offline friends at the grocery store. We say a quick hello, check in, ask about the family, and find out the news, good and bad.

You're more than welcome to join in!

As for us right now--ho, hum. I finally strung the outdoor lights, or at least most of them. Bruce and the girls have their ski passes. (Gulp.) He's got a custom-made sitski, built by the guy who makes them for the paralympic champions, which is now sitting up in our living room in pieces, waiting for its first run. There's snow at Snoqualmie Pass, so it won't be long. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Emily is sitting in our kitchen, reading the manuscript I'm finally at the end of . . . for those who don't know, it's about our family's first year experience with sci. She keeps making little comments: I remember that! or Oh, Mommy, you never told me about this . . . or (just now) giggling to herself.

I just want to see it out of the house! I've been making this book for a year, and that's long enough.

kate

Comment

So this may be somewhat repetitive. Friday night and guess what? My 18 year old went to a high school dance tonight and now they have no place to go. My husband and I were at a neighborhood party when neighbors announced looks like a party at the '''''house again. Sure enough we have a basement full. I only have frozen pizza, gatorade, bottled water and pretzels. That's it, no alchohol. They are watching something on TV that must be hilarious cause my floors are vibrating. I hear kids playing ping pong and shooting pool. It is going to be another long night. Funny thing is I busted them a few weeks ago with alchohol and said, no more parties here... thought I'd never see them back... I swear they are having more fun tonight without it; either that or they are really good at concealing it. Yet it still seems to me that it is so unfair my son could go fight in a war, but not have a legal drink. Wish I knew what was so funny on TV. My memories of our children's teenage years will be of the mountain of shoes they leave at the door.
                          Kath

Comment

An update from my corner of the world. Winter infections are raging here and even though Jackie and I are several states apart the same bug is in this house.

It is now my turn to take a hit off of the "pipe" as I am the last to get the virus/infection.After taking care of the others, I thought I had developed antibodies....NOT.

The holiday preparation continues here. Today we went and got our tree, and tonight the lights will go onto the tree. My Christmas Village is slowly taking shape thanks to hubbie and the boys. My 5 year old is full of holiday spirit and joy, it is so refreshing. He is in awe of the decorations, lights as well as out family traditions.

Tonight it is supposed to storm again and then swithch form snow to ice and back to snow again. Looks like another snow day with no school is on the way.

How about others? Any special holiday plans?

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Sigh. I'd give a lot to spend Christmas with a five-year-old again.

Let's see. Mine are teenagers. About 8 years ago, (so, when they were 5 and 7) they got together and made us a paper heart for Christmas. They gave it to us in two pieces. His half of the heart says "love", and mine says "true". The whole thing is carefully colored like a crayola version of the rainbow. It's the best thing they ever gave us, and it's been hanging over our bed ever since . . .

except for the months when Bruce was in the hospital. I put it up over his bed there, then.

Comment

Kate, that's so sweet - you have to get it laminated or something, so it will stay with you forever!

Cheesecake, I think I'm on the downslope of whatever the heck it was we both had!

Just got the news Friday that our house closing in NJ has been postponed til January - there goes Christmas. [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Not sure what Christmas plans are yet, will have to see how things shake out. Probably quiet, with this being the first year in a long time that I'll have all three of my guys - hubbie, Justin and Matt - together at Christmas.

That is - if the presents and tree survive Pippin - aka Tenacious C - aka Crash - aka - psycho kitty!

And through it all, Martha will be in my heart and my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                                X