• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jackie

ROFLMAO!

Thanks! [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

martha

Comment

Thank you my dear friends! I have really been struggling with my son's announcement. We obviously have a ways to go. I am pleased he is thinking of his future and trying to plan a successful course. I am trying to learn as much as possible in my "free time".

My husband did not serve in Vietnam, but his number was next to be called up. I wrote to soldiers serving in Vietnam when I was in grade school and watched college students spit on those doing drills in ROTC while at University. My Dad signed up with the Coast Guard during World War II, and my husband's Dad was a Marine pilot in the same war. Can you believe we attended one of his reunions in San Francisco while on our honeymoon? From Grandpas' perspective the military was an incredible time in their lives. Jeez! it's just not my perspective. I'll keep chippin' away at my objections. No one knows better than us that bad things happen when you aren't even doing anything wrong or dangerous. It just doesn't pay to borrow trouble and placing yourself in dangerous situations will do just that.

Now that my day starts so early I am trying to get to bed at a reasonable time; moreover, I only get to check in once a day. It's all a'changin.

Kate, your next book needs to be our internet journal entry format we talked about, so I hope you are already promising PART II. Maybe your sponsor could put up the Caregivers reunion somewhere while we hash it out. HMMM?
      Kath

Comment

Ahem.

Part II is going to be about what it's like to get your life back, AFTER the cure. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

BUT, I still think there's a market for our rantings, ravings, and ramblings, if they're properly organized and edited. I'm STRUGGLING right now with writing a book proposal, under the guidance of my esteemed colleagues who have successfully done this before. Every hour I spend trying to think of how to SELL my particular version of our experience is grueling. Like, I have to nail my thighs to the chair to make myself sit at the computer and get it done. The thing is, the book itself is good. Shouldn't that be enough??? In an perfect world, yes.

[img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I know I swore never again, but......

For those that listened to me bitch and moan about the foster dogs last winter and me swearing no more...............

I found this little girl on the side of the highway beside her mother who had been run over. No way could I leave her there. At first it was going to be a foster, but I think I might have to keep her. Those Yoda ears just make me laugh everytime I look at her! Two dogs, three dogs, what's the difference! [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I have NO idea what kind of mix she might be. Has a purple tongue like a chow. Any ideas?

Comment

Martha - you seem to know about doggies! So I'm asking you - how do you keep a pup from nipping when she's excited . . . "no" with a stern look doesn't seem to work most of the time -its like a love bite not an actual bite but I want to break her of the habit before its too late. Shady's a sheperd/rotweiler cross [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img], very lovable and smart! But I don't want a dog that bites or nips for any reason!

Thought I'd let you all know Bill underwent over 8 hours of surgery to repair an ulcer, a hole in the duodenum, a hernia and the clean up and removal of a ruptured gall bladder [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img]. When that was all done he had to a have an ilesotomy(sp?) because of some damage done to the small intestine in the process! No wonder he had an increase in back pain this winter! Hind sight is 20/20!! Missed some signs I'm afraid!

I'm home alone tonight which almost never happens! I don't even know how to act! But I'm determined to enjoy my glass(es) of wine and eat my pizza as guilt free as possible!

Take care all!
            ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
            Jane Siberry

Comment

Obie, With a shephard/rottie mix, you'd better stop the nipping - those cute little puppy teeth are going to turn into monsters soon! Two things we've done that the doggies HATE are - when she nips your hand, immediately put your hand sideways and flat all the way to the back of her mouth, so her mouth is stretched open, and she can't bite down, and say 'NO BITES" in that firm, no nonsense voice! The other is to -again, immediately - clamp her jaws shut at the nose and say the same thing.
              They really hate both of these things, and if you're consistent about it, pretty soon just the words 'no bites' will be enough.

'Nipping' is almost a genetric trait in dogs with a herding/draft dog lineage, and shephards and rotties have both; it's what they do to get the sheep and cows in line. Your job is to be sure to let them know that you're NOT part of the herd, you're the alpha female in the pack!

And again, with a shephard/rottie, both breeds sort of want to be the 'dominant' or alpha dog in the pack, so they need a lot of convincing! We have a Rottie/ ? Catahoula Leopard dog (state dog of Louisiana, bred from Spanish dogs, and Indian dog/wolf mixes), who can be mostly endearing, but is soooo bullheaded and wanting his own way.

Martha, you old softie, you! And what a wonderful thing to do! Do you get the 'Animal Planet' network on your cable? There are two shows, 'Animal Precinct', set in NYC, and 'Animal Cops' in Detroit, about the folks who go after neglecters and abusers. Sometimes it's hard to watch, but I do love it when they get their man!!

Comment

Obie,
                Thanks for your vote of confidence, but I am the world's worst dog trainer. The last "pack" trained themselves, and the current ones (except for the puppy) aren't trained. Sounds like Jackie has the right idea though! I'm going to try it with Annie (the puppy as in Orphan Annie).

Comment

Good morning all! It's looking like another beautiful day here in the mountains; the sunrise was beautiful today. And to think, I used to sleep through this stuff B.P. (Before Puppy)! [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Jackie, you are right on target about the shepherd/nipping mentality! There are times when Libbie sees me as one big sheep, apparently. I'm doing the "grab her nose with a stern NO", but she's a stubborn little girl! She REALLY wants to be boss around here...she's testing me! I can't believe how much she's grown in the last month. Here's hoping everyone else is having good luck with their puppies!

Obie...how's hubby? Oh, and I like your receipe for relaxation: pizza and wine! Sounds good...

Jackie...I finally saw one of "my" fawns! What a cutie! I also saw the most amazing deer last Saturday. I think it was a doe (hard to tell at this time of year) but anyway, her head and neck were a lovely, normal brown color, but the rest of her body was white! She was gorgeous...otherworldly! I would love to find her again and get some pictures.

Martha...Annie's a perfect name for your new addition! I know the TV shows Jackie is talking about; can't watch 'em. I can barely get through "Emergency Vets" on a good day!! I'm too soft when it comes to animals suffering...

Work is going well, keeping me busy as we anxiously wait for the workmen to finish our new building so we can move books. Bri is trying a pain clinic tomorrow, to try and get a better handle on her pain issues...wish us luck!

What's everyone else up to?
                  Vicky

"Be kind...for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
                  ~Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Vicki, I'm jealous - I know we have a fawn, I've seen mom, but haven't seen the little one yet! And an albino! Does she 'hang' with the rest of the deer? I read somewhere that the herd tends to shy away from albinos, because they're much more visible to predators.

All you new doggie owners - here's my basic philosophy re training - dogs, a la wolves, are pack animals and will either abide by the 'pecking order' of the pack (your family), or try to climb to the top themselves. It's your job as the more highly evolved creature (!) to let them know that you ARE the alpha female, as well as anyone else in the family. Our rottie mix constantly tries to one up us, and likewise, we constantly have to remind him that if it were not for our good graces, he'd be on the street! We do it gently, and there's no meanness involved.

Some of the things we do are when he's eating, we'll sit down beside the dish, put our hand in the food as he's eating, and even take it away from him for a second or two, make him sit nice, and then give it back. Lets him know exactly where his food source is! Also plays to the puppy wolf mentality of mom and dad bringing home the hunt. Then when we're playing on the floor, we roll him over tummy up, and grab his neck and shake it - gently. This puts him in a submissive position, and lets him know, again, that we're the dominant 'wolves' in the pack.

He's the only dog I've ever had who wants to play this dominant game, and we had to learn, especially because he's big and powerful, where to draw the line.

Obie, I can't believe you have a new puppy in midst of everything that's going on with hubbie!!

I'm still in the throes of arranging new docs for Matt, and getting his old records. If only people would do their &(((($ job! Wrote a release for his records from rehab, and of course they left out the things like the Urology notes!!!! Now have to call them back - like I have time!

Leaving for Charleston on Saturday to close on the house; it's fast becoming a reality that we are going to do this! Hubbie's last day of work is tomorrow; he's got a sort of shell-shocked look on his face!

Hello to all - looks like another drippy wet week on the East Coast - yuck!

Comment

SCI Mom, there's a whole herd of albino deer in Central NY in the Finger Lakes region. They live at the Seneca Army Depot, which has been closed for awhile. The depot has a fence around it, which protects the deer. They've become pretty fearless. They stand right out in plain sight. Every time I go by, there are people pulled off the road to watch the deer. We went by them a few weeks ago - what a fabulous show! Always makes me smile.
                      Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
                      ~ Arthur Ashe

Comment

Friday, 7:35 pm

Bruce and Heather left this afternoon for Spokane (a 5 hour drive) so she can play in League Placement Tournaments . . . yeah, more soccer. Last weekend it was my turn, oh brother. A couple of thousand people, including parents, coaches, and 50-some teams of 7th-grade girls descend upon the fields for a series of games that will determine where each team "ranks" in the state standings.

Her team is pretty low, so far . . . which means a lot of hyperventilating parents and some tough rides home. My thoughtful, happy daughter is required to suddenly become aggressive and ferocious over a soccerball, under a blazing sun.
                        Okay, this is a girl who, when she went off to summer camp 4 months after her adored dad broke his neck, came back with a "spasm catcher"--something she had invented in crafts class that looked sort of like a native American "dream catcher", but was meant to catch the spasms that had been keeping him awake for weeks. That's the kind of kid she is--but she also runs the mile in 6:30 and can hold a ball against three attackers, then send it halfway up the field.

I hate it when they're gone!

Also--Emily finished 9th grade today, in fine style. She spent the afternoon at the mall, just another 15-yr-old with a big smile, dreaming of someday having a boyfriend and trying to figure out what to give her dad for Father's Day. She just came out of her bath, ranting that her sister took her hairbrush to Spokane! Little brat! I can't quite take it in that I have a child who's able to enjoy Pride and Prejudice as much as I do.

And finally-I'm worried about Bruce.
                        He's lost 10 lbs in 10 weeks, without meaning to. He seems very tired, more so than 6 months ago . . . needs a nap almost every day. He's been so lucky since he got hurt--no returns to the hospital, no uti's in more than a year, so much more return than I was told to expect. I don't think he's depressed, but he definitely seems off, somehow, physically. What does anyone think? He promised to see his doctor when they get back on Monday.

Comment

We too live in an area that abounds with wildlife. . . very many deer - I don't know about albino deer though. We live on the edge of the Pembina Valley and its so beautiful this time of year when everything bushes out. My husband is involved with our local Wildlife group which promotes fishing for kids, deer feeding programs etc. . He misses being active physically as he once was with them - not exactly wheelchair friendly kind of work! (sigh) [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Our puppie is growing and learning very quickly thanks to all the helpful advice you all have lent me! The timing of bringing Shady into our family definitley was a little off especially since we have to do so much driving to be with Bill while he recovers from all his surgery! Who knew?? Luckily I have a wonderful supportive family and they all love 4 legged creatures of all shapes and sizes! We are still working on the nipping thing and I believe it is getting better but I know what you mean about them continually testing Marmalady! We have to work on the jumping up thing too!! I intend to prevail and I think I've got the message across to my girls to be more consistent!

What a sweet idea Kate - a Spasm Catcher - I love the way kids minds work. Maybe you should market them?? One of my girls is in grade 9 too, she still grieves her Dad's injury alot! They were bush partners!

Fatigue and weight loss are symptoms of so many different things Kate its best to get on it and find out what is happening as quick as you can! Bill was fortunate as well with no trips to the hospital and only a few mild UTI's since he was injured 5 years ago and here we are today! I guess we're lucky they found everything that was wrong(?) in his poor belly and fixed it I just wish we had paid more attention to the signs instead of trying to medicate it away! [img]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

We have a busy weekend in town - a circus, a ball tournament, a golf tournament and a country western concert which is a fundraiser(no one major - a local girl done good) for our new wellness centre (skating rink, curling rink, walking track etc.) a very big project for such a little town. Many big hearts though! We are going in to see Bill and spend Fathers Day with him tomorrow!!

Be well all!
                          ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
                          Jane Siberry

Comment

Morning all!

I saw yet another mama and baby deer this morning while letting Libbie the Chewing Machine out...fawns are so sweet! SueB., I would love to see an entire herd of albino deer...how cool.

Okay, I want everyone to cross their fingers for us...Bri got her acceptance letter to WVU! NOW...if we can get her pain under control...she starts in the fall! [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]
                            She's got an appointment at a pain clinic in Morgantown in about ten days; will keep everyone posted.

Vicky

P.S. Here's some puppy behavior I would love to have explained. Libbie collects rocks! She brings them in the house and plays with them...what is the attraction? Plus, they blend in with my carpet, and I'm killing my feet on them before I see them!! [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img] She was lovingly licking one last night; I swear, if she could say "My Preciousss", she would!!
                            "God warns us not to love any earthly thing above Himself, and yet He sets in a mother's heart such a fierce passion for her babes that I do not comprehend how He can test us so."
                            ~Geraldine Brooks, "Year of Wonders"

~Philo of Alexandria

Comment

LOL, Vicky - I do believe doggies have just as many 'neuroses' as we humans do! Does she have lots of other things to play with(I'm sure she does!) - try 'hiding' some of her playthings in the yard - maybe even just some tennis balls for her to 'find'.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe something dietary? Like she's after minerals she's not getting? Do you have her on a puppy chow for large puppies? When we got Gus (our half rottie), our vet told us that larger breed puppies grow so fast they need more in the way of protein and minerals than the 'average' puppy chow contains. Might be worth checking out.

I saw our fawns!!! My life is complete! The first time I was on the phone with Matt's neuropsychologist, looking out the window into the bushes right by the back door, when a clump of what I thought was old brown dead leaves stood up and wobbled away!! Since then, they've been all over the yard - both with mom and without, playing tag, and hide and seek, and looking at us like we're creatures from Mars!

10 days til the move - yikes! House closing in SC went a-okay! Now if we'd just get a bite on our house here in Jersey!

And congrats to Bri!

Comment

Jackie~10 days!! Yikes...good luck. I hope you guys are happy in SC, and get settled with minimum chaos! [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I'm so glad you got to see the fawns before you left. I spent about 15 minutes yesterday observing a mama nursing her little one. I am SUCH a sucker for baby animals!

As for Libbie: YES! She's on Large Dog Puppy Chow. We thought of mineral deficiency too, but I'm more and more convinced that she's just nuts! [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] GS dogs are trained as search and rescue dogs, right? Think there are many missing rocks in the world?? [img]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Vicky
                                "God warns us not to love any earthly thing above Himself, and yet He sets in a mother's heart such a fierce passion for her babes that I do not comprehend how He can test us so."
                                ~Geraldine Brooks, "Year of Wonders"

~Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Working...
                                X