Clear All

Caregivers

Hi guys, luckily my husband is my caregiver
    though a very close girlfriend moved in with
    us for a couple of months and she was
    instrumental in re-organising the house, kitchen,
    bathroom,bedrooms to make access easier. She is
    also a great long time friend to both of us so we
    could both run our thoughts and feelings past her.
    I would have to classify her as significant other
    [very significant]. Sorry folks, you can't have her.
    I think from Dogger's post, its obvious he could do
    with a little female distraction..........any ideas
    Keep Rollin [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Other than cooking...its me. The wifey takes care of cooking as a self defense mechanism...although I make killer baby back ribs.

I'm a c5-6 quad with some c7,8 return. No fine motor skills...but enough movement in fingers for the toileting needs. Good use of triceps for independent transfers.

Now when I have the flu...it gets real ugly. [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
      What we do in life echoes in eternity. Maximus - Gladiator

Comment

Bumping up again. Surely with all the people registered here we can get a better representation than just 49 responses! C'mon folks! It's easy to check a box!

martha

*Time may be a great healer but it's a lousy beautician!*

Comment

Bump. I think that this is a very worthwhile poll and so put it at the top to see if we can get more responses. Wise.

Comment

I'm c5-6 incomplete, 2 1/2 yrs post, mostly independent. I have a girl come clean house weekly; I accept any help my family offers or that I can badger out of them. My health care needs are entirely my own.
            Blog:
            Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

I guess that one of the missing choices is "No caregiver". I wonder how many people have no caregiver, like Betheny. Wise.

Comment

i'm the same as Betheny [ though i don't have anyone come in once a week to keep the house in shape . wish i did . ] , i live by myself .

thank you
                dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .
                Every day I wake up is a good one .

Comment

Currently, I have nurses through an agency as well as my own aids. Both are paid through insurance, for now. My insurance will run out in less than a year, so we'll see when that happens. I'm a vent dependent C2/3

Live life as you see fit, not as the world says.
                  C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

caregiving/exercise

AS a PCA, I find that there seems to be a bit more demand these days for people to help with exercise, ROM etc in addition to the usual ADL stuff. I have one client who hired me strictly for exercise (he already has PCAs for ADL) and another who wants me to focus on exercise about 90 percent of the time. I'm curious as to how many of you have your PCA do both ADL and exercise and how many would or do hire someone for exercise alone. Maybe there needs to be such a thing as a PTA (personal training assistant). I wonder how much of this has to do with the publicity Christopher Reeve has gained because of his focus on exercise and the results he has achieved. ---- Thanks... Dave

Comment

My PCA does both for me. When my PT isn't scheduled Melanie works with me on my elliptical trainer. I got very lucky when I found her.

Deb
                      "Save the last dance for me!"

Comment

My boyfriend who is a C 4/5 quad and I just recently moved in together so now I am his only care giver. When he was at home with his parents his mother was his primary care giver, then I was there, and another lady was there every other morning to do the bowel program.

Comment

How do you get insurance to pay for PCA's?? How many hours per week do they pay for? I would really like to know, right now independent living is paying for some hours for me, but this will discontinue when I get married.

Matt

Comment

My son is very lucky. He lives with his brother and two other roommates, one of which is unemployed for the time being. He is C7 level injury but the only weakness he has in the upper body is his right hand. He can do everything for himself, except make meals, but then again, he never did that before the accident, so NO EXCUSE. He really only needs help washing his clothes since the washer is in our basement and then someone puts the pillow behind his back when he goes to bed.
                            "Oh Lord, bless me indeed, enlarge my territory, that your hand would be with me, keep me from evil, so that I will not cause pain."

Comment

Matt,

me and my husband are married and he still qualifies for the PCA or we call them Home Attendant care. You might want to check with the program coordinator at the Independent Living Center if you can qualify under different program.

I'm fully employed, so I think that was one of the reasons why he qualified...

Good luck!

k
                              [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
                              http://www.tickercentral.com/view/2qot/2.png

http://www.geocities.com/krajaxa/fair05copy.jpg

Comment

I have a C3/4 inc. central cord sci, 10 years post. I had 24 hour care for the first 3 years. After slow function return, I learned how to self-cath and cut PCA hours down to 4 hours in the morning and 3 at night which included laundry, housework and house maintence. I became a single parent post injury when my daughters were 5 and 6 years old. One of the hardest things that this injury brought was having to rely on paid caregivers to bathe, dress and prepare meals for my children. Their constant presence, although needed by me at the time, was difficult for my children, too. A caregiver might get soap in eyes, where I never did. Or brush hair so that it hurt, where we used to make it a relaxing, loving experience. To go anywhere, the PCA drove and my daughters were way far in the back. No more singing silly song together-unil last year when my oldest daughter got her driving permit. That first ride, just the 3 of us, was wonderful. We were laughing, singing and felt so free. So, those are examples of the double-sides of paid caregivers. I am very fortunate that I can afford the care and have had some wonderful women come into our lives. I have also had many things stolen, had a PCA put my power chair in freewheel so that I couldn't move, and the constant fear that a new one, once learning access to my home, could come in to steal or worse, harm my beautiful teenage daughters as I lay helpless in my bed, unable to get out of my bed. Walking would be nice, but to be free of the need for non-related PCA would be great!
                                PS. I do have a wonderful service dog that is extremely protective. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Karen M
                                Karen M
                                C 3/4 inc. central cord
                                10/29/1992 - 18 years, but who counts?

Comment

Working...
                                X