Introductions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introductions

I thought maybe we could get this forum rolling if those of us who are caregivers or family of SCI introduced ourselves and our situations to each other. I'm the sole caregiver for my husband who is a T-3 complete, post 5 months. Anyone else out there? [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

martha

Hi Martha, I am also sole caregiver for my husband who had a hemorrhage at the T4 level on December 23, 1999. Kathy
    Kath

Comment

Intro

Hi,
      I am Tim, Patty's husband.
      She has a t-10 SCI and allows me to be her care giver on occasion. Patty is 10 years post injury, we have been married for 3 years.
      Tim

Comment

Introduction

I'm Vicky, the mother of a T11/T12 daughter [age 20, which I just cannot believe, but I'm working on it!!] Brianna was injured in a car accident two days before spring break in her senior year of high school (3-31-99). I'm the sole caregiver now; she had an aide for just over a year, which was a mixed blessing.

"Be kind...for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
        ~Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Hi

I am the care giver for my husband, he has a c5/6 injury, we've been together 20 years, he is 28 years post.

He works full time, I did too til I got laid off. Have to admit, it's kind of nice to have a little time.

Comment

I am the caregiver for my husband, Jeff. He was injured in an auto accident on May 6, 1999. He is a C5 incomplete. Jeff gets himself ready in the morning, but has an aide come in the mornings to help with showers (we do not have an accessible bathroom) and to drive him to therapy. The remainder of his care is up to me. It's hard sometimes working full time, taking care of house and taking care of him, but I wouldn't give him up for anything.

Comment

Hello

Hi my name is Lindsay Edwards. My husband is a C-5 Quad. We have been married now 1 year 3 months. He is almost 8 years post injury.

Comment

re intros

Hi, everyone, I'm an 'SCI-mom' too, of a 24 year old C4/5 son, who is almost at 3 years from his injury. I'm so glad this forum is available for us to share our experiences; thank you once again, Dr. Young! I think we all have so much to share with each other.

I read the thread about 'what is too much help'; subject is very much on the table for us right now! I got some good insights, and although we've started practicing 'tough love', it was a great reinforcement to continue!

Let's keep this forum really alive - it only works if we all contribute; even tho we may be on duty 24-7! [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Intro

Hi
                  I am Bethany. My boyfriend is a T4 incomplete T5 complete. His accident was in the early 80's and involved a motorcycle. He is amazingly very independent and takes care of himself. Which allows me to focus on all the other things I can do to make his life easier.

Comment

Intro

Hi Everyone,

I'm Marci. Im the mom to my lovely L1-3 incomplete nearly 15 year old daughter. (surgical accident, 12-13-00) She walks, but has much sensory, B&B troubles. Oh, and she is the principal oboe in the Sangamon Valley Youth Symphony...and homeschooled (Before and since the accident)

Good to meet you all.

M.Elston SCI Mom to 15YO incomplete L2-3
                    M.Elston

Comment

Intro

Hello
                      I have a 21 yr.old son who is c/5 complete 5 yrs. post diving accident. My son is 6'4" tall so our days are always a challenge. In the blink of an eye we went from looking into colleges with good athletic programs to ADA programs. He has a great attitude, that really helps get through the tough times. I hope through this forum we can share thoughts and ideas that ultimately benefit ourselves and the people we care for.

Comment

Happy to join the company here! Ditto on the thanks to Dr.Young!!!!!!

My husband was hurt cutting wood May '98 and is T5 complete. He is 54 years old and is a real mans man. He is pretty much independant with the usual every day stuff, but I have often wondered how it would go if I disappeared for a week leaving him to fend for himself completely . . . I don't think it could happen! Or could it????
                        ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
                        Jane Siberry

Comment

intros

Hi there! My husbaand ia T-4, 4yrs. post. We have been married for a year. We have learned a lot from each other and continue to grow. His attitiude and sense of humor is awesome and he si THE love of my life!!!

Comment

Intro

Hi Martha,
                            we have already chatted, but here is my info for others.

I am the caregiver for my life partner, Steve. He was injured in August of 1999. He sustained a SCI (T-3/4)and a TBI as a result of the accident.
                            After initial hospital visit of about 6.5 months, he went on to TIRR for his inpatient rehab. Don't get me started on TIRR Hospital

He is about to complete a series of PT at TIRR outpatient and then possibly go on to the Challange Program for brain injuries.

We spend our time combing enjoying life and working on therapy and advocating for his medical care.

I have decided that I will give a standing ovation to our current President only if he amends his decision on stem cells. But it doesn't mean that we don't grieve for our fallen American brothers and sisters.

Russ Byrd
                            Russ Byrd

Comment

Hello

My son is 3 year post injury C5/C6 requiring very little care at this point. He needs some help dressing but handles his personal care himself now, it was much different when he first came home. My wife and I put in some tough days back then, not to mention what he was going through.

He is back to school doing very well and soon will be driving on his own.

It does get better!

Comment

Working...
                              X