Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

medicare paying for family members to provide home care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bob clark
    Is there much of a difference between what it costs for a vent dependent quad with 24/7 help to live in their own home and one who lives in a nursing home?

And does anyone know what the overall health status is (less illness, less doctor care, fewer infections, fewer drugs, fewer pressure sores, fewer surgeries, etc.) between those who live in their own home versus those who live in a nursing home? Not to mention QOL issues.

Bob.
    The difference can be significant, and vary by state (for all factors identified above). If one is cognizant and able to direct their own care, as well as not suffering any additional or secondary chronic condition/illness, then institutionalization is not only costly, but wasteful and inefficient.

Here is a pdf brief (attached file) I received recently on this issue, specifically -
    State Long-Term Care Reform in Illinois: Medicaid Long-Term Care Spending for Older People and Adults with Physical Disabilities in Illinois and the U.S., 2006

There is a lot on these issues, but if you'd like any info/data as well as any active legislative issues for your state/city, you can contact your local ILC

Comment

I have a friend that lives in socal.And his mom is paid 1000 a month for care giving.It sounds like people are being misslead on this topic.
      "Independent from the rest of the sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by NEWPARA
        I have a friend that lives in socal.And his mom is paid 1000 a month for care giving.It sounds like people are being misslead on this topic.
        Who is writing/signing the checks? Any idea?

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Comment

In WI you can have someone (a friend or family member) help you and they end up with $300 a month. I had this setup about 5 years ago and it worked well. Not sure about your state!
          Andrew

Comment

CBA in Texas will pay for anyone to care for you except a spouse.... I am dealing with that right now.

Comment

medicaid

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
              Many state's have attendant programs for those eligible for Medicaid (not Medicare). Many of them allow you to hire family members or friends to be your PCAs through these programs. Some states do not. It all depends on the program your state has, what they pay, how they pay, and who they will allow to be an employee of their program.

(KLD)
              I was wondering, KLD, would you by chance know if this applies in FL? And, how would I inquire about personal attendant pay as a parent?
              I have been out of work for 10 months, and devote full time employment to my son.
              Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X