losing aide that knows bowel care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

losing aide that knows bowel care

In a month, I'm going to lose the only aide I have that knows bowel care. With the low salaries the agencies that pay the aides provide, I'm not likely to find another one who knows how to do it, and we can't afford to pay a nurse to come in.

2008 has sucked, and keeps getting worse.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Sorry for your troubles.
    Alan can't she train someone before she leaves?
    sigpic

Comment

Do you have to deal with an agency? Can't you hire the PCA on your own? We teach all our clients how to verbally direct their bowel care so that they can always teach their new PCAs. PCAs come and go...it is part of the deal.

In CA, HHA or CNA from agencies are not allowed to do bowel care at all, so most of our clients don't use them but hire on their own. IHSS allows you to hire anyone if they are the funding source.

You could certainly consider purchasing Accidents Stink! ($9.95) and use that as part of the training. We use it.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Get the word out Alan. Over-communicate through every person and channel you know. Whether it is an ad in several church bulletins (retired RN's go to church! ) or an ad in the local help wanted under care needed.
        Tear everyone's ear off and get them invested in a solution too!

Good luck!
        And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

I still can't fix it...but I still am in your corner, Alan. Hang on to hope, and keep looking out for yourself...

Take care, friend!

Teena

Comment

Run a add on Craigs list under domestics. you'll find plenty of help..

Comment

The aides were hired by me (though one paid by County, another by aid group), but didn't know how to do bowel care, and I haven't been able to convince either of them to learn. Neither source has an aide available who knows bowel care - as I said, the pay isn't great - and Medicare doesn't pay for bowel care.

I have been speaking with people - no luck so far.

Any idea what someone on Craig's List would charge? Money is a major issue, in that we have little.
              Alan

Comment

Have you ever considered a colostomy?

Comment

Originally posted by alan
                  Any idea what someone on Craig's List would charge? Money is a major issue, in that we have little.
                  Alan,
                  I've had great success with craig's list. You can always place an ad with your terms. All craigslist postings are free, except for:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/posting_fees

Comment

I am curious about why you hire the aides you have without doing bowel care being a given part of the job. We would never do this. If they don't want to do bowel care (or caths or other essential parts of the job), or are unwilling to learn and say this in the original interview, that is as far as they get in the interviewing process. We move on to someone else. If they lie in the interview and refuse to do it later, that is grounds for termination (and stated so in the contract we have them sign).

(KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Alan, after so many years post even Medicare should pay for a 5 day rehab refresher, say, at Kernan's, Sinai, Magee, Kessler at Shady Grove or NRH. Learning bowel, bladder, transfers, etc is all part of how to instruct aides. You're going to need this to live on your own or survive a nursing home. You can also get several tests scheduled at the same time.
                      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Nothing of bowel care or cathing (save for the external and bags care, as I don't cath) was asked in original interviews. Bowel care was handled by my mother, so I'm asking for new duties.

Admittedly, my future planning stunk.

Sue, thanks for the rehab idea. I'll keep that in mind.
                        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
                          I am curious about why you hire the aides you have without doing bowel care being a given part of the job. We would never do this. If they don't want to do bowel care (or caths or other essential parts of the job), or are unwilling to learn and say this in the original interview, that is as far as they get in the interviewing process. We move on to someone else. If they lie in the interview and refuse to do it later, that is grounds for termination (and stated so in the contract we have them sign).

(KLD)
                          KLD are you through a agency or hospital?
                          you in n or s cal?

Comment

I work in a large SCI unit (hospital) in Southern California. We have an attendant training program that we offer, but many of my clients hire people who have had no training. Our program trains our clients to be their own attendant managers. It is part of our regular services for both inpatients and outpatients.

(KLD)

Comment

a bit of laxatives or stool softners and one magic bullet and and in fifteen minutes you have poop! of course take the lax the night before. im a para but my body has gotten to the point that after 15 minutes after putting the bullet in i dont have to digitally stimulate at all. any person can be taught to insert a bullet and just wipe your booty off afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X