Catheter size help, forgot what size I use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catheter size help, forgot what size I use

I need to order some new interminent caths but don't remember what size I had. I know it was either 14f or 16f, is there anyway to tell or measure? Is one more common than the other? I can't find any packages or papers from previous orders.

14 fr is the mostcommon size for adults. 16 fr. is a little bit larger in diameter

CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

check your individual caths themselves, they should say on the packages... Or are you completely out?
      'Chelle
      L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

aren't they color coded? green=14fr
        cauda equina

Comment

Completly out. I think I will just go to a medical supply place and look at them to find out.

Comment

Your previous medical supplier may still have copies of your invoices, with your order details, including catheter size. I would call them and ask.

Comment

I've been told & I don't know whether its true or not that the 14 Fr. have the green end on them.

Comment

I am pretty sure 14 fr is the most common size. I would rather err on the smaller side (14 fr rather than 16). Worst that can happen is that you take a few seconds longer doing your thing.
                T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by canuck
                  I've been told & I don't know whether its true or not that the 14 Fr. have the green end on them.
                  14 fr mentor oneail, and th eothers i had all had the green end, i don't know if the other sizes have different colors end, i thought they were color coded, i have only seen green though
                  cauda equina

Comment

i use the 20fr 's
                    oh well

Comment

My are just the cheap red rubber ones, so no color code. I did however go to the medical supply place and figured out I need a 14. Thanls for everyones help.

Comment

You might look in to using the cheap non red rubber ones. Over time you might develop a latex alergy.

CWO
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I alway used 16.
                          "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Actually i use the Rob-nel type. I don't think they are rubber.

Comment

16 fr are orange
                              14 fr are green
                              12 fr are blue (i think)
                              10 fr are black

Comment

Working...
                              X