Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much fluid in ounces, does it take to completely fill bladder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much fluid in ounces, does it take to completely fill bladder?

I am wondering how many ounces of fluid, does it take to completely fill bladder. My son (18) and I were told for his age maximimum capacity is 425. What does that mean in ounces?
    Thanks,
    Diana

About 14 fluid ounces.....

Tom

Comment

Hi Diana,

Normal bladder capacity is between 400-600cc.
      30cc=1oz so 13-20oz typically.

This site has good information on the bladder.

http://www.seekwellness.com/incontin...dder_works.htm

AAD
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I was told years ago that a normal adult bladder holds 500cc's. I had testing done last spring and my 'urge to purge' kicked in with my lovely ole headache at 325cc's.
        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Your urge to purge...is this when you can go? Is your headache your indicator?
          If my sons capacity is approx. 425, (based on his age) and he is only urinating when bladder is full or near full ( about once per day, if lucky) how much fluid would he be retaining, before urge to go. His indicator is abdominal pain, this is when he is able to urinate. ( his urge to purge)
          Can the bladder fill so full, past this point leading to the abdominal pain.He still has some mild leakage, but cannot urinate on demand.
          Is it safe to drink alot of water at once, to get to the point that he would be able to finally urinate?
          THANK-YOU!
          DIANA

Comment

Urge to purge is David's saying - lol - sorry. Yes, that's when I know I have to go ... but I can't hold it. A headache is not a good indicator of when you should go to the washroom ... but I've been doing this for years and am not wanting to switch up my methods 20+ years later.

I would hope he goes more than once a day!? The danger would be urine backing up through the ureters which can damage the kidneys. Kidney damage cannot be undone.
            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I liked your saying urge to purge, I wasn't being sarcastic. He is going back to urologist on 25th, regarding retention.
              I am wondering if thats why he can hold so much, if its backing up to point he gets abdominal pain. Then finally he can go.
              Is it safe to experiment...and have him drink lots of water, until we reach his urge to purge?
              Diana

Comment

We were taught to cath every 4-6 hours depending on how much you drink. I can't imagine going only once a day. That is asking for a UTI we we were taught. Sometimes my daughter goes in 2 hours, again depending on how much she drinks. She would leak for sure if she only went once a day.

Comment

He has had this problem since June. In Dec. urodynamics was done. They tested for bladder infection, no infection.
                  If he could go, he would, but can't. I have wondered about uti. He on occasion has had dark urine. We are going back to original Urologist. I called him about retention, he wants to see him. He would have seen him next week, but we have two other doc appointments. I had to push it back.
                  Does anyone know if it is safe to have him drink lots of water, until he gets to abdominal pain and can go. How much water is to much??
                  I am curious about if it is maximum capacity, that causes his abdominal pain...and...urge to purge (lol).
                  Or is it something that happens later...
                  Thanks!
                  Diana

Comment

I'm guessing everybody is different. When i have no UTI i usually get 600-800 cc's and thats cathing every 4 hours. Been like that for over 4 years. So i assume everyone's bladder is a different size.
                    T12-L1 since 10/12/03

Comment

Diana, I'm sorry I don't know about your son's medical history, but going once a day may not be very healthy. What do you mean by "If he could go, he would, but can't."

If he is having trouble urinating then why is he not on intermittent catheterization?

If he doesn't urinate and the urine backs up through the ureters, the kidneys can be permanently damaged (not a good thing).
                      Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by uuudianauuu
                        Can the bladder fill so full, past this point leading to the abdominal pain.He still has some mild leakage, but cannot urinate on demand.
                        Is it safe to drink alot of water at once, to get to the point that he would be able to finally urinate?
                        THANK-YOU!
                        DIANA
                        From what I understand, normally, a bladder will store and release urine. With SCI, one may have a neurogenic bladder, which means the nerves are not coordinating appropriately. Could be either spastic or flaccid bladder. Most people with SCI use intermittent catheterization to release the urine. If the urine is not released, reflux back into the kidneys causes kidney damage. It also increases the frequencies of UTIs. If your son can only void when his bladder is full, this is considered reflex voiding. Reflex voiding is not a recommended form of bladder management (there are medical problems related to reflex voiding). What form of bladder management is your son using?
                        Daniel

Comment

Diana,
                          I'm not doctor for sure, but I suggest you also discuss neurogenic bladder with your son's doc. My husband was having this problem, urine backing up into the kidneys. He was using a condom cath. Now using a suprapubic and hasn't had anymore neurogenic problems. Just something to check into.
                          AB, Husband is c5-6 inc quad, 25 years post injury.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc
                            From what I understand, normally, a bladder will [SIZE=-1]store and release urine. With SCI, one may have a neurogenic bladder, which means the nerves are not coordinating appropriately.
                            OOPS... i didn't read this one before i posted.... yeah, what HE said
                            AB, Husband is c5-6 inc quad, 25 years post injury.

Comment

We have had to many issues with docs to list. There is no bladder management program.
                              Briefly; Son had other issues, we were focussing on.Son complained bladder was different to neuro-surgeon. Neuro did not listen, said things were fine, what evers gone is gone, resume your life. We believed him, did not know how important this was.I took son to ortho...he later... after a couple of months finally said take him to urologist. I took son to urologist. Urologist listened...I learned more, because of the way he asked questions to my son. He ordered urodynamics, Son came in with completely full bladder. Test was normal, except for spasm in bowel. Urologist told son to make sure, remind himself to go often, and come back if he had any other issues. ( There was also an issue of me calling original neuro surgeon and pretty much going off, about how we trusted him and he should have listened...Neuros office called Urologist)
                              Son being seventeen at time, swore he would never, never have urodynamics done again, unless it was life threatening.
                              He did not share anymore with Urologist (major fear of more test like urodynamics).
                              Now two months later, he brings it up again...I think he is worried.
                              So, we go back to Urologist on 25th. ( reflex voiding will definetly be brought up, thank-you!)
                              I know it is not normal to go once a day, you can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
                              We also are going to downey-rehabilatation soon, for evaluation etc.
                              I still am wondering about water test...It would be nice to walk in to doc., and say this is what is happening, what can be done for this?
                              Thanks,
                              Diana

Comment

Working...
                              X