This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee buchanan View Post
    has anyone here heard of or had stenotrophomonas maltpphilia--i have had a recurring uti for months and of course taken way too many antib. my doc.s are not at all informed about folks with sci's--but how to get rid of this--please advise--thanks
    Hi Dee,

Here's what Wikipedia writes about it. It appears to be a rather nasty bug.

An excerpt:

In UK in 2006 there were about 1000 recorded cases with 300 fatalities (30%).[citation needed]

S. maltophilia is naturally resistant to many broad-spectrum antibiotics (including all carbapenems) and is thus often difficult to eradicate. Many strains of S. maltophilia are sensitive to co-trimoxazole and ticarcillin, though resistance has been increasing. It is not usually sensitive to piperacillin, and sensitivity to ceftazidime is variable.
    If you'd really like to read up on it:

http://cmr.asm.org/cgi/content/full/11/1/57

I hope you're able to find a SCI-aware urologist.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Hiprex (also known as Methenamine Hippurate) + 1000 mg Vitamin C twice a day. This is will stop UTI's for anyone who caths naturally.
      Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

Comment

While Methenamine drugs (Hiprex, Urex, Mandelamine, Uroqid) are popular drugs to prevent UTIs, scientific studies show that they don't have a higher rate of UTI reduction compared to placebos.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

for those of u who where a night bag change it weekly. i know when i got out of rehab 20 years ago they said just clean them out w/ bleach and replace 1x mth, huh, bullshit. i gotg uti's all the time. i started tossing them every 2 weeks now every week sometimes 2x week i grab a new one. i hardly ever get a uti. just a thought
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

where are are all the ladies

I am having chronic uti's,theres lots of info from the guys,but what about the girls,we;re built diffrent I NEED SOME ADVICE FROM YOU.PLEASE

Comment

Originally posted by christytucksen View Post
              I am having chronic uti's,theres lots of info from the guys,but what about the girls,we;re built diffrent I NEED SOME ADVICE FROM YOU.PLEASE
              The vizoquid acid (prescription) and cranberry max (triple strength cranberry supplement) are good no matter which plumbing you have!!!
              And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

Hello all, I am new. Thought this would be a good place to start! What a lot of information that, despite having an injury for many years, is all new to me!

I would like to purchase some potent vitamin C and cranberry supplements. I'm not sure the best place to obtain them? Are the local health shop products efficient enough? I definitely do want capsules, nothing water soluble. I did have some good vitamin C's but containers of thirty for £7 is not very economical when some days I want to take three! Although, if tried and tested I don't mind paying this and maybe more.

Any recommendations? I reside in the UK by the way. Thanks and I look forward to learning from this forum.

Comment

Any triple concentrate cranberry cranberry should do the trick. Try Ebay and look for highest mg of Cranberry.

Originally posted by inscrutable View Post
                  Hello all, I am new. Thought this would be a good place to start! What a lot of information that, despite having an injury for many years, is all new to me!

I would like to purchase some potent vitamin C and cranberry supplements. I'm not sure the best place to obtain them? Are the local health shop products efficient enough? I definitely do want capsules, nothing water soluble. I did have some good vitamin C's but containers of thirty for £7 is not very economical when some days I want to take three! Although, if tried and tested I don't mind paying this and maybe more.

Any recommendations? I reside in the UK by the way. Thanks and I look forward to learning from this forum.

Comment

John (Fuentejps) are you sure changing the bags led to fewer UTIs, or was there another cause/effect relationship?

Comment

Originally posted by christytucksen View Post
                      Christy,

Vizoquid acid (prescription) and cranberry are good regardless of plumbing!

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks NoDecaf

Does anyone see a problem with these? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Health-Monthly-Cranberry-5000mg-90-vegetarian-tablets_W0QQitemZ400023182844QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Health_Beauty_Vitamins_Supplements?hash=item40002 3182844&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|6 6%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Buying supplements makes me paranoid as I feel people are out to rip me off :/
                        Last edited by inscrutable; 1 Apr 2009, 5:25 PM.

Comment

Check the vendor's reputation. Looks pretty solid to me.

Comment

http://www.jonbarron.org/blog_published/2006/10/urinary_tract_infections.html

Urinary Tract Infections, Kidney Health: Health Blog

Posted By: Jon Barron | October 24, 2006 9:38 PM |

Urinary tract infections are often difficult to get rid of and can easily spread to the kidneys. You need to knock the infection out, acidify the urine, and use D-Mannose to carry any E coli out of the urinary tract. Here is a protocol that has proven effective for many people.
                            • D-Mannose: 1 teaspoon 4 times a day for 3 days.
                            • Cranberry: (to acidfy the urine) Take 2 capsules, twice a day for one week.
                            • Juniper Berry: (to flush the kidneys) Take two capsules three times daily at mealtimes for one week. Increase fluid intake throughout the day.
                            • The herb forskolin to help flush bacteria out of the bladder.
                            • Also recommended are an antipathogenic formula that contain things like garlic, oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, and grapefruit seed extract to directly take on the infection...and a good probiotic formula to provide long term protection. (Probiotics need to be replenished whenever you have had a round of antibiotics, which leaves you vulnerable to a whole range of opportunistic infections.)
                            More Information on D-Mannose:
                            D-Mannose is a naturally occurring simple sugar, closely related (in chemical terms, a "stereoisomer") to glucose. Small amounts of D-Mannose are metabolized by our bodies; more than small amounts are excreted promptly into the urine. But how can even large quantities of a simple natural sugar do anything at all to help maintain a healthy urinary tract?
                            The answer is found in the interaction between D-Mannose and the bacterium found in over 90% of all bladder infections, Escherichia coli ("E. coli"). No, not the infamous E.coli mutants associated with unsanitary food processing that has hospitalized and killed people. It's the normal E.coli found as part of the "normal microflora" in every intestinal tract. But even normal E.coli do not belong in the bladder and urinary tract. In these areas they multiply and become an undesirable infection.
                            Why doesn't the normal downflow of urine from the kidneys through the ureters into the bladder and thence beyond simply carry the E.coli right along with it? What allows the E.coli to "stick" to the inner walls of the bladder and even work their way upward (like Spiderman) in some cases reaching as far as the kidney's?
                            The "cell walls" of each E.coli are covered with tiny fingerlike projections. The very tips of these projections are an amino acid-sugar complex, a "glycoprotein" also called a "lectin." E.coli "lectins" have the unfortunate (for us) capability of "sticking" the bacteria to the inside walls of our bladders and urinary tracts, so they can't be rinsed out by urination.
                            Unfortunately, for the E.coli, D-Mannose "sticks" to E.coli lectins even better than E.coli lectin "sticks" to human cells. When we take a large quantity of D-Mannose, almost all of it spills into the urine through our kidneys, literally "coating" any E.coli present so they can no longer "stick" to the inside walls of the bladder and urinary tract. The E.coli are literally rinsed away with normal urination!
                            An antibiotic kills unwanted micro-organisms, but it also kills many "friendly" micro-organisms. Every woman is familiar with "yeast infections" that follow antibiotic use, as the "friendly bacteria" are killed off along with the "bad bacteria", leaving the antibiotic insensitive yeast to grow out of control. Long term or often repeated antibiotic use can lead to major disruptions in normal body microflora, and sometimes to major disruptions in health, especially immune system function. (It is suspected that "killer" E.coli of recent years are "mutants" caused by persistent antibiotic feeding to animals).
                            By contrast, D-Mannose does not kill bacteria, "friendly" or "unfriendly". D-Mannose simply helps to relocate misplaced E.coli from inside of the urinary tracts to outside. (Since D-Mannose is absorbed in the upper gastrointestinal treact, it doesn't relocate the "friendly" E.coli normally present in the colon). Use of D-Mannose is ecologically sound. The small amount of D-Mannose metabolized by the body and not excreted into the urine is harmless. As an extra bonus, D-Mannose tastes good!
                            sigpic

Comment

thank you for the nice info, mona!
                              "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Comment

Originally posted by Lola_wheelie View Post
                                thank you for the nice info, mona!

You're welcome sweetie.
                                I wanted to write more but my pc was acting crazy.
                                I had to shut it off & restart it.

This article was on a web site I read all the time.
                                They have good stuff on it.
                                I'm gonna try it first next time I get a uti before antibiotics.
                                So I'll post my results then.
                                Which I hope isn't any time soon.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X