Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting recent study I found on pubmed.com from Boston VA center on cranburry supplements in SCI. Wish I could find out the dose type/amount/frequency used.

Evaluation of cranberry tablets for the prevention of urinary tract infections in spinal cord injured patients with neurogenic bladder.

Hess MJ, Hess PE, Sullivan MR, Nee M, Yalla SV.
    Department of Spinal Cord Injury, VA Boston Health Care System, West Roxbury, MA, USA.

STUDY DESIGN: Randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled trial with a crossover design.OBJECTIVE: To evaluate cranberry tablets for the prevention of urinary tract infection (UTI) in spinal cord injured (SCI) patients. SETTING: Spinal Cord Injury Unit of a Veterans Administration Hospital, MA, USA. METHODS: Subjects with spinal cord injury and documentation of neurogenic bladder were randomized to receive 6 months of cranberry extract tablet or placebo, followed by the alternate preparation for an additional 6 months. The primary outcome was the incidence of UTI. RESULTS: Forty-seven subjects completed the trial. We found a reduction in the likelihood of UTI and symptoms for any month while receiving the cranberry tablet (P<0.05 for all). During the cranberry period, 6 subjects had 7 UTI, compared with 16 subjects and 21 UTI in the placebo period (P<0.05 for both number of subjects and incidence). The frequency of UTI was reduced to 0.3 UTI per year vs 1.0 UTI per year while receiving placebo. Subjects with a glomerular filtration rate (GFR) greater than 75 ml min(-1) received the most benefit. CONCLUSION:Cranberry extract tablets should be considered for the prevention of UTI in SCI patients with neurogenic bladder. Patients with a high GFR may receive the most benefit. SPONSORSHIP: Spinal Cord Research Foundation, sponsored by the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Comment

• CONCLUSION:Cranberry extract tablets should be considered for the prevention of UTI in SCI patients with neurogenic bladder. Patients with a high GFR may receive the most benefit. SPONSORSHIP: Spinal Cord Research Foundation, sponsored by the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

Well, lookie lookie.
      And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

• I have been blessed to have no infections for 1.5 years.
        However, my bladder management is not exemplary!
        Since I leak when my bladder fills to a certain volume, I use a condom cath and leg bag. I also intermittent cath 2 - 3 times a day. I stick the catheter through the condom cath. I don't clean myself first.
        I now get a new cath for each use.
        It's nice not having to wash the caths, anymore.
        The supplier is giving me little foil packs of lube.
        I stick the cath into the lube packet to get lube on it.
        Recently, I've used the package, that the catheter comes in, as a tube to get the urine into the toilet. But, I have to be careful to make that work.
        I drink cranberry juice (mixed with other juices).
        After reading some of the posts here, I'll add vitamin C to my daily vitamin.
        Rich

Comment

• 2,000 mg. CRANACTIN by SOLORAY daily. I've been UTI free for over two years thanks to this - it's definitely worth the money!
          "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Comment

• Originally posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
            Since UTI's are a consistently a major topic, I wonder if the SCI nurses/Mods
            would see value in permanently stickying this thread so that everyone could
            post their own successful strategies for avoiding UTI's.
            I'm a quad and I use the shotgun approach.For my bladder I take:

Vitamin C probably 2.5 gram per day
            K&B formula (K&B stands for kidney & bladder)
            Cranberry capsules, take the recommended amount on the bottle. Same with K&B

Then I have my "break glass in case of fire" Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) formula called Ba Zheng San that my acupuncturist prescribes. Any TCM practitioner can help you. The formula is hundreds of years old.

Finally and most controversially, I use colloidal silver in my water...

Read in a really fast voice: "The opinions expressed in this post, are the opinions of the poster and not represent the management of this web site, its doctors, or its nurses. The poster attended the school of hard knocks and has no diploma to speak of."

... Keeping the immune system healthy is important I find. So I take garlic pills daily. I eat lots of yoghurt with live culture that I make myself. No alcohol! Lots of water as mentioned above. And I have an electrically legbag drainer on my chair, so I can drink lots without fear of a full legbag. Mine is from: http://www.assistivedesigns.com/

Comment

• Cold call any of the doctors listed. Google up the Veterans Administration and then SCI Care Units or Boston, MA for a general phone number. Most researchers are listed as MDs first last name, first initial or 1st and 2nd if there are two listed in the same specialty in a state; next up are MSNs, CRNPs, RNs, etc. Since the last 2 are starting the alphabet over I'd ask for them first. While they may have made up the tablets themselves they should be able to tell you how much went in them. If you get no answers there call the PVA in Washington DC. It's a small place these days.

If you get through in Boston could you ask about side effects like stomach problems? I've tried several brands and have the same problems with extra Vitamin C. No problem with multivitamins with C but oh...hate the others. Or should say they hate me.

Originally posted by quadfather View Post
              Interesting recent study I found on pubmed.com from Boston VA center on cranburry supplements in SCI. Wish I could find out the dose type/amount/frequency used.

Evaluation of cranberry tablets for the prevention of urinary tract infections in spinal cord injured patients with neurogenic bladder.

Hess MJ, Hess PE, Sullivan MR, Nee M, Yalla SV.
              Department of Spinal Cord Injury, VA Boston Health Care System, West Roxbury, MA, USA.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum
              Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 01-05-2009, 03:08 PM. Reason: To add my ?
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

• Sue, I had to cool it with the C due to it drawing too much water to my bowels. (I think)
                I had to find a different way to boost the ol immune system.

I found out that buy taking a multi-strain probiotic, I could do the same thing without upsetting the tummy! In fact tummy and intestines were 3X happier with the probiotic!

Good luck!

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
                Cold call any of the doctors listed. Google up the Veterans Administration and then SCI Care Units or Boston, MA for a general phone number. Most researchers are listed as MDs first last name, first initial or 1st and 2nd if there are two listed in the same specialty in a state; next up are MSNs, CRNPs, RNs, etc. Since the last 2 are starting the alphabet over I'd ask for them first. While they may have made up the tablets themselves they should be able to tell you how much went in them. If you get no answers there call the PVA in Washington DC. It's a small place these days.

If you get through in Boston could you ask about side effects like stomach problems? I've tried several brands and have the same problems with extra Vitamin C. No problem with multivitamins with C but oh...hate the others. Or should say they hate me.

Comment

• Besides the obvious 'textbook' dos and don'ts...does anyone have any advice on lowering the frequency of UTI's for someone that has to use an internal dwelling foley?
                  I already drink lotsa fluids and found that cranberry pills n vitamin c made no noticable difference for me. I change my cath along with the extention and leg bag once a month like clockwork....if it gets stopped up, I replace it vs. flushing it and putting all that crap back in my bladder. Every night when I get in bed and every morning when I get up, I clean the exposed cath and the urethra opening with an anti-bacterial wipe while slightly pulling the cath to ensure I clean as much area as I can. My bed and leg bag get a bleach-water rinsing out between uses. I seem to stay 'infected' (lotsa sediment, and that foul odor at times) and actually get a symptomatic 'UTI' (low grade fever, bladder spasms and increased spasticity) about 6-8 times a year.

Can anyone offer additional advice by chance? Thx in advance...
                  C6/7 Complete

14 years post injury

Comment

• You will always be colonized and should NOT treat this as a UTI or call it a UTI or take antibiotics for this. Only treat true symptomatic UTIs, and then only after you have collected a urine for C&S.

Do you have reflux or hydronephrosis? Have you had regular tests for stones? Are you taking anticholenergic meds (which will help to prevent reflux and hydro).

Have you been evaluated for possible chronic prostatitis?

How much fluid is "a lot"? What kind?

It sounds like you have a lot of hand/tenodesis function. Have you considered a different method of bladder management rather than an indwelling catheter (such as intermittent cath)? Is your catheter urethral or SP?

(KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• I still spit and slip. I was told this by Tommy @ SSC - He was 17 quad lived to over 60 an died. He was a mentor to me and was cool. He lived a good life. I am greatfull for giving me the courage of SCI.

Comment

• Get a prescription for vizoquid acid, two at breakfast, two at bedtime.

Comment

• Pain after cathing

My daughter (10 yrs old) has now had 4 uti since her injury in November. She seems to have a lot of pain after cathing with a uti. The pain seems to last about 5 mins. sometimes longer. During this time she crys and screams. She states that it burns and insists having a hot or cold wash cloth. I've had bladder infections before and only had pain while urinating. I'm confused why it is so painful for her. We just got off the 4th set of antibotics and she is getting some pain again after cathing, but this time the urine isn't cloudy or smelly. The pain always goes away while she is on the antibotics. This is really driving me crazy!! I can't stand to see her hurting.

It seems that the antibotic doesn't quite get rid of the infection since it seems to come back so quick.

She takes a vit C each day and now 2 cranberry pills each day. I nag her all the time to drink water, but I can't force it down her.

She is a T12, but can feel while cathing and can tell when her bladder is full. We cath about every 4 to 6 hours.

Comment

• I'm so sorry. Does she have a good urologist?

I wonder if they're bladder spasms...

Is she on any type of drug that would prevent the need to cath so often?

What is that pill that turns urine orange/red that is supposed to help with bladder spasms? Pyromid or something?

Originally posted by gcblarsen View Post
                            My daughter (10 yrs old) has now had 4 uti since her injury in November. She seems to have a lot of pain after cathing with a uti. The pain seems to last about 5 mins. sometimes longer. During this time she crys and screams. She states that it burns and insists having a hot or cold wash cloth. I've had bladder infections before and only had pain while urinating. I'm confused why it is so painful for her. We just got off the 4th set of antibotics and she is getting some pain again after cathing, but this time the urine isn't cloudy or smelly. The pain always goes away while she is on the antibotics. This is really driving me crazy!! I can't stand to see her hurting.

It seems that the antibotic doesn't quite get rid of the infection since it seems to come back so quick.

She takes a vit C each day and now 2 cranberry pills each day. I nag her all the time to drink water, but I can't force it down her.

She is a T12, but can feel while cathing and can tell when her bladder is full. We cath about every 4 to 6 hours.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure this is spam if a mod would delete. Thanks.

Originally posted by derricpeterson
                              Recipes for avoding UTI's seem to be very effective and helpful for recovering.

Comment

• has anyone here heard of or had stenotrophomonas maltpphilia--i have had a recurring uti for months and of course taken way too many antib. my doc.s are not at all informed about folks with sci's--but how to get rid of this--please advise--thanks
                                dee

Comment

Working...
                                X