Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTIs (urinary tract infections) can be a bladder infection or a kidney infection, but both require symptoms. Colonization (positive culture only, possibly cloudy urine with sediment) is not considered an infection (or a UTI) in those with paralysis.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

would you require antibiotics for colonization? my urine is cloudy and has visible sediment at times. sorry for hi-jacking thread
      The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

Comment

uroquid acid a prescription med? i use huggies baby wipes for hands n tip of penis. are they good enough? i read someone uses betadine?
        The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

Comment

just an update..went and got an ultrasound done on my Kidneys. Turned out that i have an obsrtustion in my ureter. My kidney stone i had blasted a few months back did not clear out all the way!! and i am having my urodynamics test done Nov. 3rd. thanks for all the help.
          T-7 Complete
          "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Comment

It is critical that any stones be removed BEFORE you have urodynamics. Call your urologist and discuss your options.

McLovin, no, do not take antibiotics for colonization, and for self catheterization, either soap and water or baby wipes are fine for catheterization. Neither Betadine nor other antiseptic solutions are needed.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Blueberries & probiotics help keep UTI at bay

I have had great success eliminating [within 24hrs!] the symptoms (frequency, burning, stinky, dark color) of a (non-clinically diagnosed) UTI by consuming ALOT of: water, blueberries, mannose, & probiotics. Daily consumption of ~0.5 gal water, blueberries & probiotics is (I believe) responsible for 10+yrs with NO symptom return.

I hope the following referenced excerpts are helpful.
              -------- Alternative Medicine Review; Sep2008, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p227-244, 18p

Clinical research suggests the best natural options for long-term prevention include cranberry, mannose, and probiotics. Botanicals that can be effective at the first sign of an infection and for short term prophylaxis include berberine and uva ursi.

Cranberries have been a popular folk remedy for urinary health. Hippuric acid does have bacteria- fighting properties, but science now shows that it's the antioxidant flavonoids called proanthocyanidins. or condensed tannins, that prevent the adherence of bacteria to the walls of the urinary tract. Over the past few decades, several clinical studies have found cranberry juice beneficial in preventing UTI. A major drawback, however, is that the amount of juice required is quite large—750 mL three times daily (more than two litres of the juice a day).

E. coli, the primary pathogen involved in UTIs, travels from the intestines and/or vagina to inhabit the normally sterile urinary tract. Improving the gut or vaginal flora can impact the urinary tract.

-------- Alive: Canadian Journal of Health & Nutrition; May2005 Issue 271, p68-69, 2p

NATURAL HELP FOR A UTI
              While tbe evidence is strongest for cranberries, these botanicals are also helpful:
              • Blueberries contain the same beneficial components as cranberry (at lower levels) and may act similarly to prevent bacterial adhesion in tbe bladder.
              • Goldenseal has bacteria-fighting properties.
              • Juniper increases urine volume, which may help to flush bacteria out of the bladder.
              • Uva-Ursi is an antibacterial herb approved in Germany for UTI.

-------- Journal of Alternative & Complementary Medicine; Apr2005, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p369-371, 3p
              Three middle-aged males and one female were diagnosed as having urinary tract infections (UTIs)... data thus suggest an antibacterial characteristic of dried or fresh grapefruit seeds when taken at a dosage of 5 to 6 seeds every 8 hours, that is comparable to that of proven antibacterial drugs.

-------- Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients; Dec2004 Issue 257, p114-115, 2p

Natural remedies that keep the bacteria from sticking are cranberries and D-mannose. They can be very effective, but they work only for bladder infections caused by E. coli bacteria - approximately 90% of all bladder infections.

Most cranberry juice products have a lot of sugar... it is much better to use pure cranberry juice powder in capsule or tablet form. Choose a product that is standardized to contain 11 to 12% quinic acid. The therapeutic dose is one to two capsules a day. You can also use unsweetened cranberry juice and add stevia as a natural sweetener. In general, cranberry juice drinks and cranberry sauce are half as potent as the usual cranberry juice cocktails, fresh or frozen cranbernes are four times as potent, pure cranberry juice is four times as potent, and cranberry capsules made from unsweetened cranberry juice powder are 32 times as potent. Over all though, I prefer to use DMannose.

D-Mannose is even more effective for bladder infections than cranberry juice. Mannose is a natural sugar (not the kind that causes symptoms or yeast overgrowth) that is excreted promptly into the urine. Unfortunately for the E. coli bacteria, the fingers that stick to the bladder wall stick to the D-mannose even better. When the patient takes a large amount of D-mannose, it spills into the urine, coating all the E. coil's little "sticky fingers" so that the E. coli are literally washed away with the next urination.

-------- Prevention; Jun99, Vol. 51 Issue 6, p122, 6p,

Just like their cousin the cranberry, blueberries contain compounds that can prevent urinary tract infections (UTIs), according to recent findings at the Rutgers Blueberry Cranberry Research Center in Chatsworth, NJ.

-------- http://www.imakenews.com/vitalchoice...2cb2Jwwny2%2cw
              A study out of Rutgers University’s Blueberry-Cranberry Research Center shows that the same colorful flavon-3-ol antioxidant pigments that give blueberries part of their anti-cancer effects also prevent UTI-causing bacteria from sticking to bladder cells.
              "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

Comment

None of these studies sited are with people with SCI. Do you have a SCI? Your profile does not indicate that, so I suspect that this may be a troll post.

(KLD)

Comment

It doesn't seem to be spam though. You have to be careful with golden seal root, I might not go there, but certainly d-mannose and cranberry are useful in a prophylactic regiment.
                  And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

I have Multiple Sclerosis; diagnosed 1984. Don't know what a "troll post" is? I'm only trying to help...

Comment

None of these studies have included people with paralysis, and studies done on these drugs or herbs have failed to show they are any more effective in prevention of UTI in those with paralysis than placebos.

Please complete your profile, Goat. Members who don't do this are suspect as spammers or trolls (troll = a person who posts on discussion boards not related to them, just to post, and often to cause trouble).

(KLD)

Comment

This forum was started (see #1): "so that everyone could post their own successful strategies for avoiding UTI's". That's EXACTLY what I did. That which I wrote weren't my original ideas. FYI, I provided details of published sources with the same suggestions.

I don't agree with the idea of posting biographical information. This is supported by the stated Registration Policy: "...other fields to which you will be invited to respond. Some will be mandatory while others are optional."

It is insulting for SCI-nurse to consider my informative, referenced note to be a "troll post". I'm amazed that within 31 min of my post, SCI-nurse managed to:
                        - read the posting
                        - locate the full text of the six published sources
                        - read those numerous pages to identify references
                        - locate the full text of related references
                        - read those numerous pages to reliably make such dismissive statements
                        Last edited by goat; 8 Nov 2008, 2:01 PM.

Comment

No sweat goat. All tips are appreciated!

Originally posted by goat View Post
                          This forum was started (see #1): "so that everyone could post their own successful strategies for avoiding UTI's". That's EXACTLY what I did. That which I wrote weren't my original ideas. FYI, I provided details of published sources with the same suggestions.

I don't agree with the idea of posting biographical information. This is supported by the stated Registration Policy: "...other fields to which you will be invited to respond. Some will be mandatory while others are optional."

It is insulting for SCI-nurse to consider my informative, referenced note to be a "troll post". I'm amazed that within 31 min of my post, SCI-nurse managed to:
                          - read the posting
                          - locate the full text of the six published sources
                          - read those numerous pages to identify references
                          - locate the full text of related references
                          - read those numerous pages to reliably make such dismissive statements
                          And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                            Have you tried getting a new catheter for each cath? Medicare covers this now. If not, then the recommended method for cleaning catheters is not boiling.
                            1. Wash with warm soapy water, rinse well with tap water, shake dry.
                            2. Lay on a clean dry bath towel and fold over. Continue with catheters and folding in the same towel throughout the day.
                            3. At the end of the day, set this set of catheters aside and allow to continue to dry another 24 hours.
                            4. Once completely dry, place in clean dry paper lunch bag until you need to reuse.
                            5. Never soak in disinfectant or store in an air-tight container.

When you say you have had 15 UTIs, do you mean 15 infections (fevers, chills, flank pain, AD, severe malaise, etc.) or 15 positive cultures? The latter, without symptoms, are not UTIs in people with SCI. Only the former should be considered a UTI and treated.

Print this out and share and discuss it with your urologist:
                            http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv...1.chapter.8279

Having a stone will cause you to be constantly colonized and increase your risks for true UTIs. The stone needs to be removed ASAP.

Catheterization technique is rarely the culprit in repeated UTIs in SCI. Much more common are the following problems that increase your risks for UTIs:
                            • Cathing too infrequently (less often than every 4-6 hours)
                            • Allowing too much urine in your bladder at any one time (over 450 cc.)
                            • Stones
                            • Chronic prostate infection (males)
                            • Having a high pressure bladder (when did you last have urodynamic studies?? What was your maximum detrusor pressure??)
                            (KLD)
                            Will running the cath thru alcohol help or hurt?

Comment

We do not recommend cleaning catheters for re-use with anything other than soap and water. Even if rinsed, residual chemical clings to the catheter material, and has a high correlation with causing urethritis. Plain soap (no perfumes or emolients) and water followed by the air-drying is the best and this has been shown in several research studies.

If you don't need to reuse catheters, then don't use anything on the catheter before cathing except for copious amounts of lubricant. Friction is not your friend when it comes to UTIs.

(KLD)

Comment

Everyone's different so different systems work for folks.

With the idea coming from another gearhead who's paralyzed. Whenever I empty a jug of urine I rinse out each cath separately with water eliminating any left over urine. Then put the used caths in a clean empty kool aid pitcher.
                                After a week or so when it's full with 45-50 caths I put a clorox bottle cap of bleach in the pitcher and fill with water letting it sit for 15-30 minutes.
                                Pour them out and rinse any left over bleach-water solution out of each cath.
                                I then boil them for 5 minutes.
                                When I remove them I shake 5 or so at a time vigorously to get all the water out of them and then lay them down in a towel that I microwave for 1 minute.
                                The towel is upside down while being stored to drain any water that didn't get shook out.

I used to have UTI's all the time until I started doing this routine and quit putting clean ones in plastic zip bags. One UTI in 2.5 years. The one before my last UTI had me in the hospital for several days so I had to do something different.
                                My primary care Doctor fought tooth and nail to get the insurance to let me get more than 4 a month, been approved for 30 a month now for about 6 months.

I thought I heard/read somewhere the Medicare had approved not reusing caths anymore. I was told insurance cos. follow the lead of Medicare.
                                Any truth to that? EDIT: I noticed the nurse addressed this above. Ooops. Cool, my insurance co. is getting a phone call.

I will also say this. Those damn hard see through caths are junk. I bought 12 or so and quit using them cause they were causing blood on the tip of my caths. I only use one or two of them every three weeks or so. I was having problems this morning getting a Bard in so I whipped out one of the see through ones. It went almost all the way in, nothing. Pulled it out and it was kinked and the blood was coming out. I'm sure I'll get a UTI out of this and with the above method I haven't had but one in 2.5 years.
                                Last edited by rtmike; 7 Dec 2008, 9:20 PM.
                                L1 Burst, incomplete on Turkey Day '03, b-caged...Jan.'06 walking w/lofstran crutches.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.

Comment

Working...
                                X