X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow thanks for the tip.

Comment

Caleb, I suspect the problems start with reusing catheters. Insurance, including Medicare, will pay for a new catheter for each use. Why is Dallas still reusing old caths?
      It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

medicare pays for up to 200 catheters per month, so there is no need to reuse catheters anymore for those who IC.

i have a suprapubic catheter and since i've been taking a bactrim once a day i have beem UTI free for around 4 months
        "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Comment

Get Bard touchless catheter kits. They are either rubber or vinyl and come with everything you need - glove, povadine swabs, etc.

Also, start the Vizoquid acid (generic uroquid) ASAP.

http://www.umponline.com/

They accept whatever Medicare pays as 100%, no out-of-pocket copay!
          And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

those bard kits are NOT covered by medicare/medi-cal which is the worst insurance combo ever! when i had medi-cal i was told oh just wait til you get medicare, then things will improve. what a joke, now medicare denies EVERYTHING only to go to medi-cal which is broker than broke! i had to beg just to get 150 bard catheters, no kits for this kid, which for the one month they sent them I had NO UTIs...so now I wind up in the local ER on nearly a weekly basis for IV antibiotics...dang UTIs and what a waste of $$$$ but that is what I'll do until they fix medicare/medi-cal which is not going to happen while I'm alive.

Comment

Hey -

New to the forum, and quite amazed to see so many people affected with the same situation. I self-cath 4x per day and have very few infections per year (2?) My method is really simple - I use antibacterial soap to clean my cath, rinse well, and let it air dry. That's it! I also make sure that I limit caffeine / soda use, and take 1000mg Vit C each evening.

Also, when I do start to feel any irritation - you know, that horribly ick feeling before you actually have a UTI? When I have that feeling, I start popping the UTA capsules (a version of uroquid?) Sometimes, just the numbing properties of the UTA will keep me from getting a full-blown UTI.

If I do get a UTI, I confirm @ home with test strips (I happen to work for an ob/gyn) and then use Cipro, Levaquin, etc. Anyway, hope it helps. I am assisting in an Interstim procedure tomorrow at work and will once again be reassured that I DON'T want to go down that road...yet...

Comment

Originally posted by kel13 View Post
                those bard kits are NOT covered by medicare/medi-cal which is the worst insurance combo ever! when i had medi-cal i was told oh just wait til you get medicare, then things will improve. what a joke, now medicare denies EVERYTHING only to go to medi-cal which is broker than broke! i had to beg just to get 150 bard catheters, no kits for this kid, which for the one month they sent them I had NO UTIs...so now I wind up in the local ER on nearly a weekly basis for IV antibiotics...dang UTIs and what a waste of $$$$ but that is what I'll do until they fix medicare/medi-cal which is not going to happen while I'm alive.
                Must be a California thing, I'm covered. 100%

Comment

that it is along with my Medi-Cal wheelchair, a TiLite w/ E-motions on it that's been getting denied by Medicare/Medi-Cal since 2006. luckily i was able to purchase a nissin chair and am now buff enough not to need the e-motions that never worked for long anyway! CA is just a total mess and it doesn't help that ppl flock here for the nice climate but oh well I went from needing help and caregivers when i got hurt to now not needing any help whatsoever so in a way living here has been good for me. have a great weekend~

Comment

Kel13, I have several cath kits I can send you if you pay shipping. PM if you are interested and I will get the specifics to you. - Lisa

Comment

Your friend needs to drink more water. One liter a day is really not sufficient for good health. I realize cathing becomes an issue when ICing, but he needs to drink at least 2 liters, and preferably more. I was having major UTI issues last year and my ID doc put me on a Foley (I had been ICing for 14 years) to see if that would break the cycle. I went from drinking about 2 liters a day to over a gallon of water a day and I've been much better.
                      2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                      Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Some abx resistant e-coli has been kicking my butt forever! I just started the Uroquid along w/ Vitamin C & I'm noticing a difference already. Oh, may this be just what I needed! I'm going to try the cream of tartar too...Thanks for all the tips.

note: I was doing the daily Macrobid & just made it worse so beware, use caution..any long term abx in general.

Comment

I take Macrobid 200mg/day most of the time. They are afraid I'm going to get resistant to it so I'm taking a break this week and of course already have another dang UTI..grr so I'll likely go back on Macrobid again since 9 x outta 10 that is the drug of choice, esp since I can't take Cipro.

Comment

Uroquid side effect?

Does anyone notice crazy sweating with it? I've had some dysreflexia (unrelated) but this is different & 24/7. Just wondering..

Comment

Originally posted by quad79 View Post
                              Does anyone notice crazy sweating with it? I've had some dysreflexia (unrelated) but this is different & 24/7. Just wondering..
                              Quad, never any. maybe cut down slightly and add say a good chewable
                              acidophilus?

Comment

Thanks, ND. I've finally just come to the conclusion it is mild AD from another source.

It seems it's been protocol for others to take 1000 mg twice daily. My dr. sain 4 times. Oh well, feeling much better, pee is crystal cear, no smell, white counts are way down. So, I'm excited. I'm also loving how thirsty it makes me, I needed to push more fluids.

This stuff is nectar from the gods but I'm concerned about the long term affects of formaldihyde(?msp). Anyone know?

Comment

Working...
                                X