This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTI's no more!!!

Anyone dealing with constant UTI's needs to go ahead and take my advise. For way too long I kept trying all of the over-the-counter remedies with little to no success. I tried cranberry juice & pills, xylitol, and D-mannose pills & powder. All this time I kept reading about Uroquid Acid and resisted going through the trouble of getting a prescription. I was still too bull-headed and tried cranberry juice & pills, xylitol, and D-mannose pills & powder for a second go-round. Hell I almost resorted to prayer. It was like clock work, every 3 weeks I would have to pop a few cipro's to clear things up. This is all over a few year period I might add. Well I finally gave in and got the Uroquid Acid #2 500 mg prescription. It is two pills a day, morning and evening and costs $25.00/month. Medicaid will not cover it for me so far. It is going on 4 months now and not a hint of any trouble. I take it combined with 15 mg Enablex (the only 2 meds I take) and my bladder issues are behind me. I now have to worry about over filling my bladder because the urge to pee is a slow slight feeling and NOT the dreaded strong sudden urges that is usually a prequel to bladder problems. Don't wait like I did, just get the Uroquid Acid and move on to other SCI worries.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Comment

taking note

Taking note battling with over the counter and antibiotics for over eight months. We will ask about uroqui acid at our next UTI confirmation...keeping our fingers crossed.......
      Thanks for sharing!

Comment

But that sounds like something making the urine acid. I can't take anything that makes it acid, my bladder will burn and empty itself for urine at once. And I have full controll over the bladder when I don't have an UTI, I don't even cath.
        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

honestly i take oxybutinin one in the morning and at nite... hand sanatizer when i cath, UTI FREE no worries.. CLEANLINESS is the answer to that SANATATION!
          life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

Comment

Yea Oxybutinin is like Enablex, it reduces bladder spasms. For years that is all I needed then the bacteria started win. Uroquid Acid #2 does not let the bacteria stick to the bladder wall. I learned about on this website and have zero side effects. I can't even tell I take any medicine.
            Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
            Pete C6/'97

Comment

NOTE:

Vizoquid Acid is the generic form of Uroquid Acid - much cheaper. Not available at CVS though.

Originally posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
              Anyone dealing with constant UTI's needs to go ahead and take my advise. For way too long I kept trying all of the over-the-counter remedies with little to no success. I tried cranberry juice & pills, xylitol, and D-mannose pills & powder. All this time I kept reading about Uroquid Acid and resisted going through the trouble of getting a prescription. I was still too bull-headed and tried cranberry juice & pills, xylitol, and D-mannose pills & powder for a second go-round. Hell I almost resorted to prayer. It was like clock work, every 3 weeks I would have to pop a few cipro's to clear things up. This is all over a few year period I might add. Well I finally gave in and got the Uroquid Acid #2 500 mg prescription. It is two pills a day, morning and evening and costs $25.00/month. Medicaid will not cover it for me so far. It is going on 4 months now and not a hint of any trouble. I take it combined with 15 mg Enablex (the only 2 meds I take) and my bladder issues are behind me. I now have to worry about over filling my bladder because the urge to pee is a slow slight feeling and NOT the dreaded strong sudden urges that is usually a prequel to bladder problems. Don't wait like I did, just get the Uroquid Acid and move on to other SCI worries.
              And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

When I used to cath (have a sprepubic cath now) I used to have A ONE beer a day. A Uncle of mine told me once it flushes the kidneys and bladder real well. I figure this may be a wives tale. But in 10 years I find it to be true for me at least. But allways kept me from haveing UTI's. Like I said Wive's tale maybe. And you gotta admit it's better than taking a pill. If only beer helped me on the skin ulcers.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeegirlct View Post
                  If you are using Cream of Tartar for a UTI, the usual dosage is 1/4 teaspoon. It can be taken by many different ways.

1. placed directly on tongue followed by a min. of 8 oz of water
                  2. mixed into small (about 4oz) of water, followed by 8 oz of water
                  3. taken in capsul (size 0 capsul holds 1000 mg or 1/4 tsp) with 8 oz of water

If you take it at first sign of infection, one dose usually works, however if one dose doesn't work you should not take more then 4 doses (1 full tsp) in a day.

It is a form of sodium and should not be over used.

After initial infection is gone it can be taken once or twice a day to help prevent re-infection.

I am not a doctor, but I am an herbalist. I have used this my whole life because I am extremely prone to UTI's due to a birth defect.
                  I wanted to crosspost this from other thread.
                  And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

ok need to settle an argument plse

hy there ppl....i'm having a LITTLE trouble with the community nurses in my area where i live regarding my permanant catheter..they are trying to tell me that i an leave my cath in up to 4 MNTHS and im trying to tell them the max is 3 with at least an irragation every 3weeks..... any advice?

Comment

Is this a urethral cath or a suprapubic? What does your urologist say about cath changes?

IMO, even three months is way too long to leave in either type of cath, even with irrigation. My understanding of SPs is that they should be replaced at least every six weeks, and that urethrals should be changed every three-four weeks.

I can't go more than three weeks without changing my urethral cath. If I do, I develop problems like irritation, increased sediment, and such.

But I'm just a layperson. Hopefully KLD or one of the other SCI Nurses will drop in and offer you advice not only on the best time table for you and how to deal with the local nurses.

Best wishes for getting this resolved.
                      It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

four months? that's insane and very dangerous!

as hipcrip said, suprapubic catheters should be changed every 6 weeks TOPS ( usually is 4 weeks; i have one ) and around 3 to four weeks for a foley ( through the urethra )

i assume that by permanent you mean indwelling catheter.
                        "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Comment

Had my annual bladder ultrasound

The ultrasound tech said I retained 71 cc of urine after reflex voiding.
                          I could probably get a little lower if I were lying down.

I really need a spinal cord-savvy urologist in Connecticut or Westchester County, N.Y.

Current urologist won't let me self cath because of finger dexterity issues.

I say "let me" because if I try self-cathing and get infected, I need him for the antibiotics.

Now that I'm retired, I've got a lot of time to try and solve the age-old UTI dilemma.

Comment

Peter, many of my male clients at your level of injury do clean self catheterization. There is no reason it needs to be sterile as long as it is clean. You may want to look at a urologist who is a little more SCI knowledgeable, even if you have to go to NY or MA to do so. Could someone else cath you 1-2X daily to get your residuals completely removed at least a couple of times daily? We sometimes do this with our reflex voiders who can't self cath.

Did he do or is he planning to do urodynamics too as part of your annual check up? Check for stones and other problems with urinary tract CT or ultrasound? If not, you really need to see someone with more SCI experience and knowledge.

For those asking about frequency of indwelling catheter changes above, the CDC has no recommendations on frequency of changes since there is no scientific basis (no studies) to make any specific recommendation. Most change every 4-8 weeks. It is a good idea if you tend to clog to plan to change prior to that time interval, but other than that it is very individual. Routine irrigation though is definitely NOT recommended as it significantly increases your risks for infection. Irrigation should be reserved only for catheters that are clogged with clots, mucous or sludge/sand. or encrustations.

(KLD)
                            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

In an older post Jeff Weeks and others mentioned using "Uroqid Acid No.2" in preventing UTI's... A few days ago I asked my urologist to put me on this med and he agreed.

What dosage do you guys find works best? 1 (500mg) pill in the morning and 1 at night? Or double that?

Thank you all in advance. Esp. Jeff!
                              www.rustyreeves.com

Comment

Just got back from the hospital after having my 4th or 5th septic Psuedamonas UTI this year alone! It also caused a testicular infection and I ballooned to the size of a softball! They told me if the problem persists they may need to remove my testicle and i'm already a double leg amputee! Apparently a UTI can backtrack down into the testes and cause infection there as well. They also did a resistance test and found out the bacteria is resistant to 8 out of 10 of the antibiotics they tested since I've used a big variety of them. I'm dfeinately scared now and he said when you become too resistant then they have to use the more toxic antibiotics out there and that just sounds like it would reek havoc on the liver! Anyone else have a problem becoming too resistant. Is it possible to eventually have nothing left that will work and you are screwed? I already take cranberry extract, drink plenty of fluids, straight cath, take tons of Vit C, Macrobid daily, and Hiprex and am starting to try the cream of tartar thing (which tastes nasty by the way). I'm at home with a PICC line now and I will use IV Topramyocin for 10 days but after that I really need be carefull. Can someone tell me something good so that I can calm my nerves a bit? Thanks
                                Ken

Guns don't kill people. Daddys with cute daughters do!

Comment

Working...
                                X