No announcement yet.

I'm really nervous about getting a bladder augmentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allow yourself for a set back. For some time, it will almost feel like....why the hell did I do that. If you have a good urologist/surgeon, the rewards will come once everything heals.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

I never have regretted mine
      Mary
      I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
      Van Morrison

Comment

Mimi underwent a 14-hour operation on Sunday. As her doctor says, So far so good. However, she wishes some of you would have told her more about the pain following the operation.

Comment

give her our love Mom!

Comment

Sounds grueling, ProudMom, give her our best. I hope the pain subsides soon!
            get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

Originally posted by ProudMom
              Mimi underwent a 14-hour operation on Sunday. As her doctor says, So far so good. However, she wishes some of you would have told her more about the pain following the operation.
              14 hours?? Is that standard? Tell her that pain is what drugs are for! Abdominal surgery does hurt (I've not had this particular one). The only option is drugs and sleep during the worst parts. I hope she feels better v. soon and gets the result she hopes for.
              Blog:
              Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Tell her best wishes and hope things get better for her. Like someone said pain medication and sleep.

Comment

14 hours? Wow!!! I don't remember it taking that long. I hope she is feeling better real soon. Sorry about the pain but I didn't experience it. Actually the only pain I had was when I got out of surgery I had a supra pubic for awhile. Well a few days later I was in terrible pain but that was because the sp got clogged and they never thought to irrigate me. Well when they finally did it filled up the bag with probably more than 1000 cc. Once it was unclogged I was pain free. Please tell her I'm thinking of her and definitely brighter days are coming. Abdominal surgery is never fun but it does get better. Give her a big hug for me.

Comment

She had 3 procedures done. Mitrofanoff, bladder augmentation and then the doctor added something else about the sphincter. The OR doctors told us that there was nothing unusual about the operation.

Comment

The pain management team has been in to see her. They are trying different meds but she's not allowed to be on narcotics.

Comment

Originally posted by ProudMom
                        The pain management team has been in to see her. They are trying different meds but she's not allowed to be on narcotics.
                        I hope that they figure out something to make her feel better soon...
                        Is there a particular reason why she's not allowed to be on narcotics? This seems quite odd being that she just had a major surgery...She SHOULD be on some heavy duty pain killers, narcotics would be the first line of defense, I would think...

Tell her that we all hope she heals up quickly...I'm sure she's anxious to get out of the hospital...they're never fun...
                        'Chelle
                        L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

Make sure she stretches her legs daily. I didn't the whole time I was in bed for that...never had the staff either and I'm still paying for it!
                          Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

She had morphine right after during recovery but once on the ward, the dr. didn't want her on as it would affect her respiration. He put her on some minimal dose of narcs yesterday.

The PT sees her once or twice a day. She emphasized the stretching so we do it, not the nurses.

Comment

I understand the concern about compromising her respiration, but if it has not been a problem for her in the past and she is in pain, I think denying her the narcs might be more detrimental than being conservative...YES, narcs CAN depress your respiration, but she is in a hospital where she's being monitored...I'd ask for them again, with monitoring if she's in a lot of pain...
                              'Chelle
                              L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

I was 12 hours on the operating table for my urostomy. Then I was NPO for many days while the intestines healed some. Couldn't take certain meds and it seems like Mimi is on them (here SCI-Nurse KLD is talking about needing to wean off Neurontin and baclofen prior to certain surgeries, I was just reading this the other day made me think of Mimi here. I hope she's not suffering withdrawals if she can't take the meds.

They used the fentanyl patch on me and we are the same level injury, and she's much stronger and younger. Should be able to handle it.

Just dawned on me that you must have traveled a long distance to get to her, you live up to your name ProudMom. She has praised you here from the beginning, great kid, you should be proud.
                                get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

Working...
                                X