Thoracic spine fracture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoracic spine fracture

The doctors say that i have fractured my thoracic spine after my semi wreck. I want to know who i need to go to to get treatment for it.

Does anyone know what i should do for a fractured thoracic spinal injury, and where i should go to get treatment for it if there is one.

Comment

Originally posted by ronald_benson
      The doctors say that i have fractured my thoracic spine after my semi wreck. I want to know who i need to go to to get treatment for it.
      Your doctors didn't put you in a brace? Refer you to a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon? Are you paralyzed or did you just suffer broken bones?
      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton
        Your doctors didn't put you in a brace? Refer you to a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon? Are you paralyzed or did you just suffer broken bones?
        No im not paralyzed but i do have broken bones, sprains, and strains. No im not in a brace and i dont have a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon. What should i do?
        Last edited by ronald_benson; 12-07-2007, 02:37 PM.

Comment

You need to see an orthopedist. Ask your primary care physician to refer you to one.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Ok thanks to both of you. How is a fractured thoracic spine injury treated? Does it heal on its own or do u have to have something done to it?

Comment

It depends on where the fracture is and how severe it is. It may be just bracing and exercise limitations. It may require extensive surgery. Only an experienced surgeon can tell you your options and what is best for you.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
                It depends on where the fracture is and how severe it is. It may be just bracing and exercise limitations. It may require extensive surgery. Only an experienced surgeon can tell you your options and what is best for you.

(KLD)
                Do you think that i will be able to drive again after i get better?

Comment

yes but be careful!

CWO

Comment

Is there anything that i can do to help ease the pain? Like laying a certain way.

Comment

Originally posted by ronald_benson
                      Is there anything that i can do to help ease the pain? Like laying a certain way.
                      See a doctor as soon as possible and they'll prescribe appropriate pain meds. In the meantime, I'd say moist heat but I defer to our nurses. Stay away from chiropractors unless they take xrays and do an MRI before touching you.
                      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton
                        See a doctor as soon as possible and they'll prescribe appropriate pain meds. In the meantime, I'd say moist heat but I defer to our nurses. Stay away from chiropractors unless they take xrays and do an MRI before touching you.
                        Ok thanks Sue. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Where is your thoracic fracture? Did you have mri? What are your symptoms?
                          Diana

Comment

yes i had an mri but i dont know where its fractured at the doctor called me yesterday and told me that i had one. He didnt say where or how serious it was,

Comment

Are you seeing a doctor for an official reading? Did you have mri done in hospital? (CTS show bone.) If you had mri or ct done in hospital, you can go to hospital and get films and report. Look at report and see what it says and what type of test it was. What are your symptoms?
                              My son was in severe pain for quite awhile. Laying inclined worked best for him.
                              Are you following up with a doctor?
                              Let me know what your mri results are.
                              It takes time but the pain does get better. My son had reactions to most narcotic pain meds. He took 800mg. tylenol and Ultram. He said it helped. He needed both though.
                              You do need to get up and walk, don't over do it. But make sure you do it a few times a day.My son would take about 2-3 trips down the hall in beginning. He slowly increased this. It took some time though. Its really important.
                              Keep in touch! Send me message again, I did not see you had responded, I will watch closer next time.
                              Diana

Comment

Working...
                              X