Dr. Young - question on bone care...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J2:

I wish i never read this post. now i have something new to worry about, weak bones. would walking again when a sci tratment comes out someday reverse this or make them stronger.

Im getting bumbed out here. so not only do i need treatment for a SCI but now i need treatment or a cure for weak bones. or can i just replace them with titanium someday [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

i was thinking of purchasing a standing frame. they are really expensive, are they worth the money??

J2

25/M/chicago/C5-c6 quad Comp.
    http://www.extremechairing.com/membe...members_J2.htm
    j2 im 32 going on 18yrs post, i have stood since soon after my accident, it is by far the most important thing i have done. it has so many benefits, and feels incredible. ppl who havent been standing post sci normally wish they had been. my ins has payed for all my workout equipment including standing frame. get one or you will most likely regret it

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

KLD,

Anything new on the vibration front? We just purchased one of those vibration plate machines for our practice, and I was wondering if you have had any results with your group of patients (that is if you even have one).
      "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

Eager to hear about your experiences. For a variety of administrative reasons, we have been unable to apply for the grant funding needed to do this study. We still hope to be able to sometime in the new year.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

i'd just like to ask one more time, what can be done to reverse bone density loss?

just so i can fit it with the folks who ask questions without reading one single word posted b4, (hint, hint, the huge post with all the links...find it?) maybe all that bone density makes it's way into peoples heads since some seem to be seriously dense. any cure for that?

also, i'm being slightly sarcastic.

Comment

As we age should we back off on the extension of our rom?
            I stretch my legs out and up till I get resistance,
            which is really extended.
            I'm 56 yrs old, 17 yrs post sci.
            I do rom twice a day everyday.

Thanks Mona
            sigpic

Comment

I'm almost 27 years post, and can't stand due to bone density. Anything I can do?
              Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Healing broken tibia in paraplegic

Dr Wise,
                Is there a subspecialty that deals with healing broken bones in the nonwalking public, aka paraplegics? I caught my toe in a door frame and broke my leg in 2 places (power chair). I want it to heal properly and with as much strength as possible--I have standing frame and FES cycle but had not been using due to recent shoulder surgery.

Is FES ever using to get the bone to regenerate? What if anything besides fosmax--I am already on this plus calcium citrate.

I am in NH but w/i 35 miles of Boston
                Thank you in advance for any information,

engineermom

Comment

Originally posted by alan
                  I'm almost 27 years post, and can't stand due to bone density. Anything I can do?
                  Short answer, not realy. You can try FES and other stuff if you are bored and have some free time you'd like to kill. Personaly I vote for the read a good book and soak up some V-d, and listen to the birds method. Just me.

Comment

My hubby broke his tibia/fibula about 6 weeks ago and had surgery and his ortho surgeon still won't let him use his standing frame. He says when the films show enough stability then he will let him.

So.... the standing frame is pretty lonely right now.

Sieg

Comment

I had thoughts of letting my son back off his exercise program a bit, but after reading this I think we're going to hit is a little harder instead.
                      Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
                      Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
                      -- Lucy VanPelt

Comment

Working...
                      X