Flu Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flu Shot

Yesterday at the Doctor’s I was going to get the flu shot, but it said there was a chance of GBS and it was not recommended for people with chronic nerve disorder (this was on the fact sheet and form I had to sign). What is considered a chronic nerve disorder and how great of a chance is there to get GBS? Even the slight possibility of being paralyzed again, is not something I am willing to risk.

I didn't have a fact sheet or anything when I got a flu shot at the doctor's office. I'm curious about this too!
    Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog
      Yesterday at the Doctor’s I was going to get the flu shot, but it said there was a chance of GBS and it was not recommended for people with chronic nerve disorder (this was on the fact sheet and form I had to sign). What is considered a chronic nerve disorder and how great of a chance is there to get GBS? Even the slight possibility of being paralyzed again, is not something I am willing to risk.
      translate what GBS means please.

Comment

Like Dan, I was not given a fact sheet proir to the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by adi chicago
          translate what GBS means please.
          Adi, it is Gilliam Barre Syndrome; a peripheral nerve disease that causes paralysis. I never heard of it being tied to the already injured. There has been a slight possibility of it in others though. When from a vaccine it normally seems to be milder and more likely to remit than when it hits out of the blue. If this is true I'm skipping the shots too and relying on my Pnuemovax to keep me reasonably healthy.

Nurses?
          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Hi,

I have not heard of this. I will try to cehck his out and get back to you.
            In the meantime, do you have the fact sheet and can you relate exactly what the form says? That would help.

AAD
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I have safely gotten one for years, and when I first had one after being injured, there was no discussion about anything being different. Had mine today in fact.
              T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

i never heard this either. got my 2nd one in my whole 43 yrs the other day.

i did start feelin awful a couple days afterwards. fever was 102f. but it was just for about 2 days, after that i was fine.

Comment

I'm no expert but I thougth chances of this from a flu shot were rare in all cases. I don't see how having an injury would increase the chances except that you are already prone to bad luck. I did meet a girl at Shepherd who was there as a result of a flu shot. That would be very scary. I would like to find some statistics.
                  If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

I will call the office and ask them to fax me the forms, so I can give you exact language.

Comment

You can also get trans verse mylitis from a flu shot. That was the first question they asked me at the hospital. I never had a flu shot and never will. When i was in rehab there were 3 people there who had flu shots and got GBS.
                      Be always determined in Life and Love

Comment

36,000 people a year die in the USA from flu related illness.. Those with SCI are at high risk to be included in this group. You are MUCH more likely to die from the flu if you don't get a flu shot than to get either TM or GBS.

The issue with GBS was in the late 1970s when there was a form of swine flu included in the flu shot, and there was a slight bump in the incidence of people diagnosed with GBS (still VERY small) who got that flu shot. We have not had a swine flu type flu shot since, nor documented any increase in GBS related to flu shots since then, but they include it in the flyer for liability reasons. Same with TM.

The CDC clearly states that people with SCI and other neuromuscular type disabilities should be immunized for influenza annually, and that they are considered to be in the high risk group for flu complications. See the sticky post at the top of this forum for more information about this.

Pneumovax only helps to prevent flu from pneumococcal pneumonia bacteria. It does not protect from either the flu or pneumonia caused by the flu.

(KLD)
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

The form I had to sign says:

Special Notice - Vaccination is generally not recommend for the following poeple:

People allergic to eggs or egg products
                          People sensitivee to thimerosal
                          People who have an active nerve disorder
                          People with fever, active respiratory or other infection or illnesses

I am not sure if a old SCI injury is considered an "active nerve disorder." So I did not get the shot. I wanted to research it a little first.

Comment

Got my Flu and pnumonia shot both last week

Comment

Originally posted by duge
                              Got my Flu and pnumonia shot both last week
                              How often is one supposed to get pneumonia shots?
                              Daniel

Comment

Working...
                              X